PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install program vcdgear ?

tonjaa
July 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
i try to download program "vcdgear" save on Desktop file name is " vcdgear176-040415_linux.tar.gz "
how i can install this file please guide me .

unlimitedz
July 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
First extract the files. Open a terminal and go to the Desktop Directory. Then run
tar -xzvf vcdgear176-040415_linux.tar.gzThen look around in the extracted directory for a README or INSTALL text file, follow those instructions.

Mark Phelps
July 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Short answer is ... you don't ... "install it", that is.

Let me explain ...

What you downloaded is a compressed archive file which most likely contains the source code needed to build the executable.

The first thing you will need to do is uncompress the archive to see what's inside it. You do that by opening a terminal and typing "sudo tar -xvfz <filename>" where <filename> is replaced by the full name of the file you downloaded.

That will most probably create a directory (and possibly subdirectories as well) containing lots of source files, some scripts, and some text files.

So what you're really asking is how to build an executable from source in Linux ... which is a LOT of work and the hardest possible way to obtain an application.

If you've not done this before, you will need to install library packages, starting with build-essential.

Search this forum on "building executables" and you will find examples of how to proceed.

tonjaa
July 10th, 2009, 05:17 AM
thank you for guide me it make me understand about compress file .
i try to extract file save on Desk top folder name " vcdgear" in folder has file like this

tonjaa@tonjaa-desktop:~/Desktop$ cd vcdgear
tonjaa@tonjaa-desktop:~/Desktop/vcdgear$ ls
CDI Changelog Credits lang vcdgear vcdgear.cfg
tonjaa@tonjaa-desktop:~/Desktop/vcdgear$

what is correct command to install it?

erichgamba
May 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
You don't have to install vcdgear. It is a pre-compiled program

yessine
October 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I know this is late, but you have to type:

./vcdgear