PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network disconnects every ~5 minutes

estebistec
July 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM
For some reason today, my network is disconnecting or resetting every five minutes. I can see xchat disconnect/reconnect on this interval. dmesg and syslog, however, show nothing on this interval at all.

My connection is over eth0. I'm on a Dell Latitude 6500. Here is some more relevant info from lspci:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5300 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection

slugmax
July 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
It doesn't have to be your network that is the issue, it could be the IRC server, or some point in-between you and the server. You could start a long-running ping out to the internet in a terminal window and just watch it, if you experience a dropout but don't see a gap in the ping sequence, it's likely not you. Something like 'ping yahoo.com' will work.

estebistec
July 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
It doesn't have to be your network that is the issue, it could be the IRC server, or some point in-between you and the server. You could start a long-running ping out to the internet in a terminal window and just watch it, if you experience a dropout but don't see a gap in the ping sequence, it's likely not you. Something like 'ping yahoo.com' will work.

It's def. not just the IRC server. The others on my server aren't getting kicked off, and I lose access to pages in the browser at the same time.

But yes, I suspect it may have been routers or some other network component from the specific physical plug I would using. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some common issue that would be indicated by my symptoms (the 5 minute intervals).

Thanks.

superprash2003
July 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146367

estebistec
July 10th, 2009, 05:52 AM
take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146367

Well, I wasn't using wifi. I've verified the problem was based on the port I was plugged into.