PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] F10 Recovery with Ubuntu ( No Xp)

shahab-odin
July 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I had the ubuntu experience from some times ago...but I had switched to XP and it worked fine, I faced a problem and had to reinstall the windows , but when I put the XP installation CD in the CD-rom but I noticed that I could not Boot the laptop from CD, in the Boot menu it said, in order to use Booting from CD,
You should first enable the external booting.I did so, but it didn't make any difference.
I had an Kubuntu CD and when I inserted it in windows, it said, It can help me if I can't boot from CD,
it ran up something after reboot and it let me install the Ubuntu....
Now the problem is that I still cant boot from CD and no longer have the Xp installed to do as the support centre of my laptop said:

About your system, maybe you got a hardware problem with the optical disc drive. However, you can start the Vaio on the recovery partition with F10 but if you installed Ubuntu, I hope that the recovery partition has not been broken.
If you want to boot on the recovery partiton, you should press the F10 key just at the start and then you could get different option.

I have a 64bit laptop and want to install the 64bit ubuntu on it...
any idea how can I restore the boot option?

madverb
July 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry, that doesn't make much sense.

You say you can't boot from CD but you managed to install Kubuntu? Are you saying you can't boot from the Windows CD but can boot from the Kubuntu CD?
Is the Windows CD damaged?

shahab-odin
July 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
sorry if it was a bit ambiguous...

You say you can't boot from CD but you managed to install Kubuntu?
yes...I could do that by the help of an option in the kubuntu disk
as I said,when I inserted the disk in Xp ( as if you just want to install some windows version of the programs,etc) it said sth like "do you have problems booting from CD? if so try this.." and I said ok and clicked reboot and it started to do the installation after the reboot...
As I mentioned above there is something wrong with the laptop not the Xp CD