PDA

View Full Version : I love VIsta!!!!

derekeverett
July 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
ok here's the deal. I had to reinstall vista back on to my machine last night for some work related things. Not to worry I'm still dual booting with Hardy...

But I've found all this cool stuff for vista and I'm actually kind of really really enjoying this!

They got an office suite called open office that you can download for free! You can also download this app called GIMP that is similar to photoshop. Also Free!!

I am needing to convert a bunch of video to ogg/theora for a web project I'm working on and I found a command line program called ffmpeg2theora that converts it for me!! And I can watch it with another free and open source app called VLC !

Long Live Vista!!

Larir
July 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I like Vista too.

Giant Speck
July 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I foresee bad things happening in this thread in the very near future. :(

racerraul
July 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Can I download Vista for free or donate what I can afford to use it legally?
That would just roxxor!!!11uno!

derekeverett
July 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I foresee bad things happening in this thread in the very near future. :(

oh I hope so. I'm a little bored. lol

Giant Speck
July 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
oh I hope so. I'm a little bored. lol

So you're saying this thread is intentional flame-bait?

derekeverett
July 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Can I download Vista for free or donate what I can afford to use it legally?
That would just roxxor!!!11uno!

This is even better! You don't even have to download it. It comes pre-installed when you buy the machine!!

no MD5 sum to check or anything !!

racerraul
July 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
This is even better! You don't even have to download it. It comes pre-installed when you buy the machine!!

no MD5 sum to check or anything !!

wait a sec... you used the B word!!!!

Sand & Mercury
July 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Shun! Shun the heathen!!!

wolfyking2
July 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
So you're saying this thread is intentional flame-bait?
No, it's not. Itt attracts trolls, who pour gasoline over everything and light everything on fire.

derekeverett
July 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
wait a sec... you used the B word!!!!

good point. But it's not like we haven't all paid for it anyway..

I'm just saying it's kind of fun for me. I haven't used windows much outisde of work for a long time. I find it ammusing as hell that I can get pretty much all the same apps.

Just having some fun is all.

racerraul
July 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
:lolflag:
and here I though you were yankin everyones chain...

Just found out our MSDN lisc expires late next year, so I'll have a copy of Win7 to play with... that said... Vista to me was one of those chics you want to take on a date once and not let anyone know about it.

Like a moped... you want to take a ride on it once, and not let anyone know you did.

RiceMonster
July 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Haha, great thread :D. I laughed when I read it.

Dragonbite
July 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Having the same apps on Windows as Linux helps migrating people over. Helped my wife get used to Firefox and Thunderbird before moving over.

OpenOffice and Gimp were a little harder for her to get used to, but given enough time and incentive...

the8thstar
July 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Do you think Windows 7 could be compatible with this software?

Dragonbite
July 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Do you think Windows 7 could be compatible with this software?

Eventually. Depends when the FOSS devs get the Windows 7 systems to port to.

Tipped OuT
July 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Having the same apps on Windows as Linux helps migrating people over. Helped my wife get used to Firefox and Thunderbird before moving over.

OpenOffice and Gimp were a little harder for her to get used to, but given enough time and incentive...

Yes, that's a really good way. Nice job. :)

ufolx
July 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I love UBUNTU!!!
Bye, bye vIsTa ):P

rocketflame
July 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Open office and gimp? Ubuntu comes with those preinstalled!! VISTA SUCKS! GET OFF OUR FORUM!

:)

lykwydchykyn
July 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
HElp plzzzz? I donlode tis Visstra and now I dont no how 2 isntall it?? do i clicks on it or opn w apt-gots???

Maheriano
July 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
So when I install Vista, do I find these programs in the repos or do I have to compile them manually?

pizza-is-good
July 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
ok here's the deal. I had to reinstall vista back on to my machine last night for some work related things. Not to worry I'm still dual booting with Hardy...

But I've found all this cool stuff for vista and I'm actually kind of really really enjoying this!

They got an office suite called open office that you can download for free! You can also download this app called GIMP that is similar to photoshop. Also Free!!

I am needing to convert a bunch of video to ogg/theora for a web project I'm working on and I found a command line program called ffmpeg2theora that converts it for me!! And I can watch it with another free and open source app called VLC !

Long Live Vista!!

OK, I hope you realize that all those cool apps you found were not originally made for windows, but for linux!

You see, vista is designed to work well for the first couple of days/weeks. After a while, it 'knows' that the warranty expired or whatever, and you start getting blue screens every other day. By that time you are so in love with all those cool little features that you don't care enough to stop using it.

But I have to admit, that OOo was the first open source program I used, in windows, and it was what made me choose to go with Linux.

Long live everything that is open source and that is not windows or mac related!!!!!

Mr. Picklesworth
July 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Actually, the original post is quite adeptly meaningful. Ubuntu's quality should not be judged on the quality of applications it runs. That's just pointless.

We shouldn't point at Ubuntu and say "it runs Firefox" and pretend that makes it good. Windows runs Firefox, OpenOffice and Tomboy just fine. A good OS is about the stuff in between.

And on the topic of stuff in between, Windows has definitely detected its end of warranty for me. (Which is interesting, because my computer had a two year warranty and I hardly use Windows). Of late, performance has been fine, I haven't changed anything at the system level... but it's been crashing at shutdown with some bizarre error I can't find any useful information on.

gn2
July 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I tried that Vista thing, but it didn't like some of my old softwares and peripherals.
The helpful man in the computer shop offered to sell me new ones, so it all worked out OK in the end.

maflynn
July 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I can't say I love vista. Its big, bloated, buggy and you have the OS continually phoning home to make sure you're not a thief. That whole activation and Windows Genuine Advantage stuff definitely has me turned off on the product

I've played with windows7 and its clearly what vista should have been. For my needs and uses Ubunutu is far superior. There's no reason for me to run windows on my mac because I have Ubuntu [/fanboy] ;)

HappyFeet
July 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Vista? meh.

Marlonsm
July 9th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I really like Vista, it was so bad that made me look for alternatives... and then I found Ubuntu :P

heroidi
July 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Ohh vista I remember now well somebody tried it out and this is how it ended up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcTootzemA

Yvan300
July 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I just love the way vista costs such a reasonable price. I mean who can't $300 for an OS. It is the best thing ever. SO what if i had to sell a kidney for my wonderful OS, it still rocks.

Giant Speck
July 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I just love the way vista costs such a reasonable price. I mean who can't $300 for an OS. It is the best thing ever. SO what if i had to sell a kidney for my wonderful OS, it still rocks.

You could probably get a hell of a lot more than $300 for a kidney.

RiceMonster
July 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I mean who can't $300 for an OS.

I accidentally $300 for an OS. Is this bad?

Yvan300
July 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Well then again, the guy who took the kidney was scary and the operation happened in his back yard. I was to frightened to ask for more money, but then again i still have vista here to help filter my blood :)

Swagman
July 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah I used to absolutely Love VistaPro (http://www.creative-3d.net/vistapro.cfm)

Really wish we could get it for Linux

smudge12b
July 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Never felt the urge to go and Vista. For the few things I use ******* I stick to XP. I'm probably using Ubuntu 90% of the time now.

dragos240
July 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Long Live Vista!!

Well..... ubuntu has Openoffice and gimp by default, and everybody knows about VLC. I REALLY hope you're just bored, and making a joke.

ROT IN HECK VISTA!

RiceMonster
July 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Erm..... ubuntu has Openoffice and gimp by default, and everybody knows about VLC. I REALLY hope you're just bored, and making a joke.

ROT IN HECK VISTA!

There's definitely no way it was a joke. 100% serious for sure.

jenkinbr
July 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Money Shed introduces Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Trojans, and Adware

but by all means, use it if you must.

Tipped OuT
July 9th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Erm..... ubuntu has Openoffice and gimp by default, and everybody knows about VLC. I REALLY hope you're just bored, and making a joke.

ROT IN HECK VISTA!

I hate when people use "erm". Sorry it just bugs the crap out of me.

jenkinbr
July 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I hate it when people use 'The fact of the matter is ...' Bugs the crap out of me, too.

dragos240
July 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I hate when people use "erm". Sorry it just bugs the crap out of me.

What if I changed it to Well. I just did this.

Tipped OuT
July 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
What if I changed it to Well. I just did this.

Yes, thank you. :)

p0cky84
July 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Long Live Vista!!
Long live the troll!~

lykwydchykyn
July 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
ppl plzzzzzzzz????/1!if i cnat instll VIsta i will haf 2 go back 2 WINDOWS! how 2 isntall 4 Obontoo?????:confused:

evermooingcow
July 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I can't say I love vista. Its big, bloated, buggy and you have the OS continually phoning home to make sure you're not a thief. That whole activation and Windows Genuine Advantage stuff definitely has me turned off on the product

Activation and WGA were what first made me consider learning Linux.

Tipped OuT
July 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Activation and WGA were what first made me consider learning Linux.
Don't get mad at Microsoft. What else can they do? They have to fight against piracy and stop losing millions of dollars. If you want Microsoft to not have to do that, then go help fight against piracy, and maybe Microsoft wouldn't have to go to such lengths.

If you were in Microsoft's shoes, you would understand. But you just see it as is, Microsoft "phoning home" every second collecting information from you and making it hard just to install there operating system, with the annoying activation keys.

Dougie187
July 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I hate it when people use 'The fact of the matter is ...' Bugs the crap out of me, too.

I really hate "Case in point" or "Case and point" depending on the person saying the phrase.

graphius
July 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Don't get mad at Microsoft. What else can they do?
They could make an OS that doesn't suck...

Seriously, If you like vista, great. I used it for a couple of months and had to get rid of it. I do use XP for some things (often as a VM) as the software I need runs better on windows than in wine. In my perfect world, Microsoft software would be of the same quality as open source, and open source would have the same polish and consistency as Apple.
That isn't too much to ask for is it?

Tipped OuT
July 9th, 2009, 10:45 PM
They could make an OS that doesn't suck...

Seriously, If you like vista, great. I used it for a couple of months and had to get rid of it. I do use XP for some things (often as a VM) as the software I need runs better on windows than in wine. In my perfect world, Microsoft software would be of the same quality as open source, and open source would have the same polish and consistency as Apple.
That isn't too much to ask for is it?

Sorry, but that quote you did on me was completely out of context.

graphius
July 10th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Sorry, but that quote you did on me was completely out of context.
Yes it was, I am sorry. I was trying to make a joke. Apparently not...

The second part of my post was meant for those trolls who bash Linux by saying how great MS is.

Sometimes I write before I think, and I have had too much on my mind lately...

monsterstack
July 10th, 2009, 04:02 AM

Long Live Vista!!

Can it play London Stock Exchange?

Sublime Porte
July 10th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Considering Vista only ever gained about 15% of OS users, I doubt anyone honestly loves Vista :)

Nice try though.

Danbo19
July 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Can it play London Stock Exchange?

Awesome. I lol'd

+1

cariboo
July 10th, 2009, 06:06 AM
This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere useful. It is now closed