PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to hibernate & resume with two swap devices?

swamytk
July 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I am running Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty for my HTPC.

After installation I am configuring swap partitions. I have two swap partitions of 2GB each (RAM size 4GB) with equal priorities to take advantage of striping by the kernel while swapping. I would like to take this advantage for hibernate/resume also.

My problem is how to pass ** two ** swap devices (/dev/sda3 & /dev/sdb3) to command line parameter of "resume=.." or resume file in conf.d of initramfs?

prshah
July 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
My problem is how to pass ** two ** swap devices (/dev/sda3 & /dev/sdb3) to command line parameter of "resume=.." or resume file in conf.d of initramfs?

In short; you can't. But all is not lost; you can create a swap "file", and use that as a swap area for your hibernation/resume data.

See the manpage of mkswap for details and VERY IMPORTANT caveats; (eg., swap file cannot have "holes"; how to create such a file).

swamytk
July 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
thanks, prshah.

i have more than enough space to create bigger swap partition to accomodate ram image for hibernation - using only one swap partition for hibernation - both the swap partition for swapping