PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adding & Installing New Fonts

abevrnja
July 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Hi there.

I'd like to know what is the difference in adding a new font and installing one.
Also, I added some font files in /usr/share/fonts/ and when I go to Sysyem > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts I can find them but Open Office Word Processor doesn't seem to recognize them. I suppose I should do something to make it work but I don't know what. (There looks to be some kind of difference between fonts used by system and those used by different applications)

Thanks in advance :D

rgsproductions
July 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I was having the same issue. I found this at www.linuxforums.org

"In GNOME you can open Nautilus and type fonts:/// in the address bar and simply drop them in there, once X is restarted they should work. Or you can put them in a proper dir in /usr/share/fonts yourself and they should work as well when X is restarted."

It worked for me! Hope it helps you.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/38154-how-install-fonts.html

I re-read your question and I don't think I helped. I checked in OpenOffice and all the fonts I added showed up in the font selection.

AZzKikR
July 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Also, I added some font files in /usr/share/fonts/

Just an idea:

You can also place your fonts into ~/.fonts/ instead of /usr/share/fonts/. This will have a few benefits, like: no sudo to place the fonts there, and you'll only have to backup the /home/$USER directory and you have all your fonts again.

Then again, the fonts are only available to only that specific user, iirc.