PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ugh. ubuntu has killed my laptop. plz help.

rfsquared
July 9th, 2009, 05:53 AM
ok so i just loaded 9.04 on my laptop after having been on vista for a year or so. ubuntu worked perfectly upon loading for the first time.

then, it happened.

i was running Update Manager to get all of those stupid unnecessary updates just so it would shut up about it. Well, it froze during the installation, i had to force quit, THEN the next time i tried to restart my computer, ubuntu wouldn't load.

it says something about 'entering low graphics mode' or something (which i've not seen before EVER and i've been using ubuntu for a couple years now on my desktop), and then whenyou try to log in on the GUI under low graphics mode, it cuts out and says 'your session lasted less than 10 seconds'

well, i slipped my ubuntu installation CD in, and when you go to "install ubuntu" it does nothing and hangs. and you just have to turn it off.

am i just screwed out of my laptop? i'm familiar with ubuntu and stuff but NOT as far as troubleshooting the OS, etc.

rfsquared
July 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM
PS: this is everything on it that it says, error wise:

Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode

The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to resolve this.

(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
(EE) intel(0): Couldn't allocate video memory.

And again, it worked PERFECTLY the first time I used 9.04 after I installed it. It only stopped working after Update Manager froze and had to be forced to quit.

Did something go haywire with my updates? I am NOT familiar with any command-prompt side of ubuntu, and I can get to a command prompt just fine, so if I need anything like that please let me know exactly what i need to write in it. lol. Call me a n00b.

I want 9.04 working. Someone just PLEASE help me!

caco
July 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM
hello ... hope you won't mind being a little analytical/logical in your problem report.
If you can get into you laptop's system bios and all items there are positive ... then you laptop is not dead.
Can you confirm that you lappy's DVD/CD drive can read other similar installation media (linux distros/windows)?
Is there a way you can confirm from another system that your Ubuntu DVD/CD is working perfectly by scanning the cd/packages using the check installation media?

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20470/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20470/)