PDA

View Full Version : XP install from USB

daisyfoofpoof
July 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I've tried about 10 different methods to put my XP install cd my usb stick and make it bootable, but nothing works... Using syslinux gives me an error about having no kernel to use. I've tried some applications like UNetBootin and Makeboot, but those don't work either. What filesystem should I make the usb stick? What programs should I use? The computer I want to install xp on is ubuntu 9.04, but I have a windows computer if I need a windows-only program to set it up. Oh and the computer definitely supports usb booting, I've done it before with the ubuntu ISO (syslinux worked then.)

aysiu
July 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Maybe this will help:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb

snakeman21
July 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Windows is a major pain in the *** to install from a usb... I tried once as a proof-of-concept idea. I spent about a week on it, and I came to the conclusions that:

Yes, it can be done

No, it can't be done easily

No it can't be done with all versions of xp.

Certain versions work, but most don't. In any case, you have to have some sort of iso editing program and it takes time to correctly modify the code. I only got it working once, and it wasn't satisfactory. You had to have the USB stick inserted in order for Windows to boot. Once it started, you could remove the stick, but it would boot without it. Oh, and I don't remember what version I got to work, because it was one I shouldn't have had...

In short, you're better off using the cd.