PDA

View Full Version : Fun things to do in Linux to pass time. Anything!

gymophett
July 9th, 2009, 03:32 AM
You know when you're so bored, you just wanna slap a baby?
This is where to post your ideas.
Whether it's a certain game, VirtualBox... ANYTHING!
Maybe something you can ONLY do in Linux.. Something awesome. Something... Anything. That just sounded annoying, but you get the picture.

HappyFeet
July 9th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I like to play around in virtualbox. If a distro seems decent, I'll then install it on my test machine.

ArtF10
July 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM
You know when you're so bored, you just wanna slap a baby?...

Haha! NO, but now I do!:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

JillSwift
July 9th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Use MPD and ICECast to make yourself an in-home "radio station".
Make a torrent slave, so all you have to do is dump a torrent file into a drop-box folder and the slave handles the rest.
Use Linux, an Arduino, and servo motors to make an automatic baby-slapper.

gymophett
July 9th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Make a torrent slave, so all you have to do is dump a torrent file into a drop-box folder and the slave handles the rest.

Lmfao. xD

Eviltechie
July 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM

MPD? You should try IDJC.

DeadSuperHero
July 9th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Well, you can always play games. Or microblog every little detail of your life on identi.ca.

Really, when I'm that bored I go out on a walk.

JillSwift
July 9th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Lmfao. xD
:D

MPD? You should try IDJC.
Yeah, that'd be even more fun. I didn't bother because I live alone, and - frankly - I talk to myself enough as it is. ;)

renbla
July 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Screw up your root folder by using sudo ..... and then googling to try to solve all the problems come up. :lolflag:

blah1898
July 9th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Screw up your root folder by using sudo ..... and then googling to try to solve all the problems come up. :lolflag:

I often kinda do that. But not only the root folder, also try installing another linux kernel, mess up with GRUB, format a partition, try to install unstable software or software that conflicts with others, etc. Just get ready to reinstall. :lolflag:

Dimitriid
July 9th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I check new applications or different versions of the ones I have already. I sometimes test things I don't need or don't plan on keeping just to see them like gnome do, awn, etc.

Sarai the Geek
July 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Conky, conky conky conky...

Compiz could potentially be a significant time sink too, though playing around with compiz is about 84.2% more likely to splode your graphics card than playing around with compiz.

Fun fact: 58.9% of statistics are made up on the spot!

Wow, I'm way too tired and borked to be posting.

moster
July 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
buddy, try to learn some programming language. You will not just spend few hours, you will spend your entire life :D

Sealbhach
July 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Install tdfsb (http://freshmeat.net/projects/tdfsb/) and zoom around inside your filesystem.

dhayfule
July 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
IS it available in ubuntu respositories?

ninjapirate89
July 9th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I spend way too much of my time playing Ogame.

Hominym
July 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Try to manage your files by only using the terminal. That's always fun.

Hallvor
July 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Play Atomic Tanks :)

zeroseven0183
July 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Move the wobbly windows and check out the Ubuntu Forums

infestor
July 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM
i am a bit paranoid -thx to good ol' dial-up times- i frequently type
uptime

evermooingcow
July 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Setup a Linux home server.

Its how I first got into Linux. Desktop came later for me.

jomiolto
July 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Learn to use Vim and become enlightened (just beware of Emacs -- aka "the dark side" ;) ).

Switch to Openbox/Fluxbox/Blackbox for while and catch yourself a week later tuning a tiling window manager.

Read the perl man pages.

Learn to type with dvorak keyboard layout.

And finally: shut down your computer, sit quietly for a while to clear your mind and go for a walk to behold the wonders of Outside (TM).

;)

gymophett
July 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
This TDFSB thing is cool!

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
We are not allowed to have games on our computers at my job. I'm not telling them about the Easter Egg in OpenOffice.
:lolflag:

juancarlospaco
July 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM
just...

free the fish

or create a VM, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then create a VM inside, and then try to connect this VM to the first VM using VNC or SSH.

or traducir al Espaņol alguna aplicacion en Launchpad.

or make some new cleaners for Bleachbit.

mp3_freak_721
July 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Listen to music and play around with the Compiz Cube on my integrated Nvidia Geforce 6150LE graphics. :cry:

I know. My life is sad.

Jeruvy
July 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Is there a tool to get the slapping to match the beat mix (pun intended)?

mamamia88
July 10th, 2009, 12:52 AM
do a 180 on your current gui

running_rabbit07
July 10th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Or, just open the geek forums and stare blankly at the screen while contemplating what some of these people may or may not be smoking...

And, I have found myself signing into MS forums and trying to talk to people with serious PC problems about switching to Ubuntu or any other Linux. They deleted 2 of my accounts because of that.

Cl0ud9
July 10th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Learn to use Vim and become enlightened (just beware of Emacs -- aka "the dark side" ;) ).

You will learn Emacs. It is your destiny. Resistance is Futile.

Dr Small
July 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM
do a 180 on your current gui
That's easy. Printscreen, gimp %f, Color > Invert.

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Play "20,000 Light Years into Space". Awesome game, I think.

Sealbhach
July 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM
And, I have found myself signing into MS forums and trying to talk to people with serious PC problems about switching to Ubuntu or any other Linux. They deleted 2 of my accounts because of that.

LOL! Nice try.:p

JillSwift
July 10th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Is there a tool to get the slapping to match the beat mix (pun intended)?
If you can shake a baby on an iPhone, you can slap one to a hip beat on Linux.

DeadRobot
July 10th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Learn programming. Its fun!

Twitch6000
July 10th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I just play one of my games.

Or i go and look for a new theme lol.

rolleander
July 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Go to microsoft's support page and search for linux - you know the last time I did, the first item to pop up was how to uninstall linux and install windows - should be re-titled Computer Syphilis - a how to guide.

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Go to microsoft's support page and search for linux - you know the last time I did, the first item to pop up was how to uninstall linux and install windows - should be re-titled Computer Syphilis - a how to guide.

I just went there and searched "Remove windows and install linux" and it still gave me instructions on how to wipe out linux and install windows.

Viva
July 10th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Supertux!!

lukeiamyourfather
July 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Download and configure Conky, explore other operating systems with VirtualBox, learn Python or shell scripting, figure out all of FFMPEG. Cheers!

sdlynx
July 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
sudo apt-get install xjump

you won't be able to stop playing

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Mess around with gobuntu or something in virtualbox.

Sarai the Geek
July 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I just went there and searched "Remove windows and install linux" and it still gave me instructions on how to wipe out linux and install windows.

The next step to this is to go onto IRC and organize a posse, then invade one of the variety of Windows support channels. I'm still blocked from ##windows on SpotChat and for a while was serverbanned from Freenode... oopsie. :lolflag:

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Maybe I'll try that.

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I got a couple of friends who would help maybe.

0pul3nce
July 10th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Sometimes it more fun to just slap a baby. erm...not that i've ever done that.

I found something kewl.

gokgs.com

Get the client, and explore the free gaming world for yourself

running_rabbit07
July 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
sudo apt-get install xjumpyou won't be able to stop playing

It is amazing how such a simple game is so addictive.

That was the first time installing something via terminal didn't give me problems. From there I went on to install RealPlayer jus to find it doesn't play the flv files it made on Windows.

benj1
July 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
when we talk about "slapping a baby"
are we talking about child abuse or spanking a monkey, just to be clear, because if its the latter then i think you've answered your own question ;)

days_of_ruin
July 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM
You know when you're so bored, you just wanna slap a baby?
This is where to post your ideas.
Whether it's a certain game, VirtualBox... ANYTHING!
Maybe something you can ONLY do in Linux.. Something awesome. Something... Anything. That just sounded annoying, but you get the picture.

Slap a baby then.

Sarai the Geek
July 10th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I got a couple of friends who would help maybe.

You can all join my posse over on Spot Chat, then. :)

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Maybe.

sdlynx
July 11th, 2009, 06:20 AM
It is amazing how such a simple game is so addictive.

That was the first time installing something via terminal didn't give me problems. From there I went on to install RealPlayer jus to find it doesn't play the flv files it made on Windows.

haha thats redundant

EdThaSlayer
July 11th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Set up Emacs, and learn emacs, and code in emacs. :guitar:
Clamscan your whole pc, not with one clamscan daemon running, but hundreds, just to see what your machine can take. ;)

toupeiro
July 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I like to visit http://themes.freshmeat.net and dig around for really cool LAMP/AJAX web apps for various needs. There is some great software out there.

Gamfrek
July 12th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I find a pic of Bill Gates then I use draw fire on screen option to light him up!!! :P

ArtF10
July 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Meh, baby slapping is a lot more fun.

starcannon
July 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I like to play with different distro's using Virtual Box, I even virtualized the OS that never was, MS Neptune, and doinked with that for a bit. I also like trying out different FOSS video games, Emerald/Compiz/Cairo/Avant Window Navigator. Compiling a kernel once in awhile is good for fun, for added thrills leave stuff out and see if one can get it to work anyway lol. Anyway, breaking my install and then figuring out how to fix it has brought me a lot of free entertainment, and taught me loads about my OS; though I still am just an egg.

Copernicus1234
July 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Urban Terror and kill everybody until I get kicked for being good.

starcannon
July 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Urban Terror and kill everybody until I get kicked for being good.
Hahaha
I haven't played yet, am downloading it now.

vinutux
July 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I am here for killing time

Yeh search around ubuntu forums and just fixing some Questz is biggest time pass xercise of mine.........

:guitar::guitar::guitar: