PDA

View Full Version : How you read a thread w/ several replies???

renbla
July 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Some threads are just so good that have about couple of thousand replies, like this one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86237&highlight=geek so how do you read all of that??? For me i just pick a few randoms one but can't get full detail of what every ppl said :(

Sealbhach
July 9th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I usually search Google for:

ubuntuforums + topic

It would take hours to go through some of those threads.

lovinglinux
July 9th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Just go to the last one :)

Now seriously, I usually move on if I need to find a solution of some sort and I see the discussion is not going anywhere near it. Nevertheless, using Google site search usually gives lots of threads anyway.

If I'm not looking for a solution, but reading an interest discussion like this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1207263 then I do dynamic reading and if I spot something interesting then I stop to read the post and quoted replies.

blueshiftoverwatch
July 9th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Some threads are just so good that have about couple of thousand replies...so how do you read all of that??? For me i just pick a few randoms one but can't get full detail of what every ppl said :(
Generally when a thread has over a certain amount of pages worth of replies I don't even bother to open it unless it has to do with a computer problem I'm having and might the information necessary to fix it. When it's something fairly interesting in but it's necessary to solve a problem I'm having I'll read the OP, a page or two of replies, and than skip to the last page. But that's pretty much the extent of it.

Which is one of the downsides of this forum being so huge. The really good threads fill up fast before newcomers have a chance to read through it.

So maybe having duplicate threads discussing a very popular topic isn't such a bad thing.

Sealbhach
July 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yep, any thread with more than three pages is offputting, I usually look at the first and last pages - if it's really interesting, I click on the quotes to go to the original post and follow the chain of quotes that way.