PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Phone/Google Android blows the iPhone away!

HappinessNow
July 9th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Anybody else looking to buy an HTC Magic Phone with Google's Android OS or other Google Android powered Phone??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WazqE9gZf28

The Magic Phone/Google Android OS blows anything Apple could of thought of or imagined.

New recycling program soon to be started for all the disposable iPhones so they don't clog up our landfills!

of course the HTC Hero is even better!
http://intruders.tv/inqtv/2009/07/01/a-first-look-at-the-htc-hero/

DeadSuperHero
July 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The HTC Hero looks incredible. Looks like they've made quite a few additions to the phone. Of course, I'd only buy it if it still supports the following:

-OGG Playback: My whole music collection is in it, so it'd be nice to just easily load up the card and take it with me.

-Android Market: Although they really seem to be pushing things like Twitter, I'd really like to be able to use TwitDroid for identi.ca. I have yet to see a dedicated identi.ca mobile app, but that in itself is a negligible point if I can already use it.

All in all, looks great. I just hope it goes to a decent provider like Verizon or T-Mobile.

RaZe42
July 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
The (leaked) Sony Ericsson X2/Rachael also looks very nice, and has a "Snagdragon" 1 Ghz CPU. That's insane! I'm sure some forum members use PCs less powerful than that.

And it also has an 8 Mpix camera, which actually could be quite good(*Sony* Ericsson)

I think I'll replace my N82 with this one ^^

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/sony-ericsson-rachael-images-and-ui-video-leak-out-kiki-comes-f/

The UI looks really flashy, but it remains to see how usable it actually is on the phone's 4" WVGA screen :)

ewankho
July 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Nevermind.

amitabhishek
July 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
The (leaked) Sony Ericsson X2/Rachael also looks very nice, and has a "Snagdragon" 1 Ghz CPU. That's insane! I'm sure some forum members use PCs less powerful than that.

And it also has an 8 Mpix camera, which actually could be quite good(*Sony* Ericsson)

I think I'll replace my N82 with this one ^^

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/sony-ericsson-rachael-images-and-ui-video-leak-out-kiki-comes-f/

The UI looks really flashy, but it remains to see how usable it actually is on the phone's 4" WVGA screen :)

Wow! :)

Its gonna cost a bomb!!!!

hanzomon4
July 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Well... I was ready to rain fire and brimstone on this thread, but whoa!! that's freakin cool. Android from google looks like a dog but I like what HTC and Sony are doing. If anything it shows the power of android and its ability to serve as a base for really cool ideas. If any of these phones could nail the multimedia part I'd switch. I love my iPhone but I use more then just OSX. Plus these two phones, the rachel and the hero, and the Pre seem to be better communication devices then the iphone. Who knew phones would be so cool

HappinessNow
July 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Well... I was ready to rain fire and brimstone on this thread, but whoa!! that's freakin cool. Android from google looks like a dog but I like what HTC and Sony are doing. If anything it shows the power of android and its ability to serve as a base for really cool ideas. If any of these phones could nail the multimedia part I'd switch. I love my iPhone but I use more then just OSX. Plus these two phones, the rachel and the hero, and the Pre seem to be better communication devices then the iphone. Who knew phones would be so cool
HTC has a new user friendly interface that is tweaked beyond the basic Android OS.

The HTC Hero is definitely polished and refined beyond the Magic, I am checking the Rachel out now. ;)

Edit: just checked out the Rachel and that looks pretty awesome also!

You can actually buy an unlocked version of the HTC Hero nice which is nice!

The cheapest I have been able to find it is $399.89 (http://www.auroracell.com/htc-hero-brown-unlocked-gsm.html?___store=default)

but it appears to be out of stock all ready!

geekygirl
July 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
The Youtube video made a big deal about the on screen keyboard - but it was pretty much the same as found on the iPhone....meh...

Didn't really see too much in the way of 'mindblowing' user interface that will take away the iPhone market share.

Its definitely a nice device, and offers a very real alternative to the iPhone, but I don't think massive amounts of people will be recycling their iPhones for this - I know I wont be.

issih
July 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Might consider a hero when they come out...generally unconvinced by smartphones though

HappinessNow
July 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM
there are some great videos and other information about the HTC Hero, here:
http://www.engadget.com/hub/htc-hero

hotweiss
July 19th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I have been using my Magic now for two weeks after using my Iphone for one year. The Magic is a better net appliace for sure... In my opinion, the Android platform has a lot more potential than Apple's Iphone. As it stands now, I prefer the Magic over my old Iphone.

HappinessNow
July 19th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have been using my Magic now for two weeks after using my Iphone for one year. The Magic is a better net appliace for sure... In my opinion, the Android platform has a lot more potential than Apple's Iphone. As it stands now, I prefer the Magic over my old Iphone. Thanks for the "Real Life" share this reaffirms for me that my next phone will be an Android OS powered phone, most likely the HTC Hero or other comparable Android OS Phone.

Giant Speck
July 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I hate how people have this newfound compulsion to compare any new phone to the iPhone. It's as though the iPhone is now the gold standard.

Though, I guess without the iPhone, people would be comparing new phones to Blackberries, so...

HappinessNow
July 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I hate how people have this newfound compulsion to compare any new phone to the iPhone. It's as though the iPhone is now the gold standard.

Though, I guess without the iPhone, people would be comparing new phones to Blackberries, so...

The reality is Giant Speck, while the iPhone brought to the US standards that were used in Japan and South Korea for years it is NOT a standard as you so eloquently point out, but it is a instantly recognizable identity. The Blackberry has it's own standards that some would say exceed the iPhones. HTC as well as other companies are bringing to market; to the consumer, elegant Android Phones that were not available to them before.

People now have a new choice, and that new choice is Android OS.

HappinessNow
August 25th, 2009, 07:52 AM
74.36% who plan to buy a HTC Magic or other Android based phone is pretty high.

aysiu
August 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
74.36% who plan to buy a HTC Magic or other Android based phone is pretty high.
I didn't just plan... I actually got one. I know the Hero is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips, but I got impatient, and I like the Magic a lot, especially with a rooted ROM installed in place of the stock Android from T-Mobile (I'm in the US - the phone dictates the carrier here).

It kind of makes sense, though. The iPhone is very sexy, of course, but it leaves you with only a few less-than-ideal options: Use Windows in some fashion (virtualization/dual boot) Buy a Mac also Jailbreak it... and possibly have to re-jailbreak or tweak to keep up with updates I love how this article about jailbreaking your iPhone (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10312755-233.html) has a little disclaimer at the bottom:
Note: Jailbreaking your iPhone or iPod Touch may void your warranty and violate the terms of your agreements with Apple and AT&T. We do not recommend jailbreaking your iPhone or iPod Touch. There aren't many things my wife's iPhone can do that my MyTouch 3G (that's what T-Mobile calls the HTC Magic) can't do. And there are things the MyTouch can do that the iPhone can't.

Off-topic
What's interesting, though, is how both Apple and Google entice you to do things their respective ways, and if you go along with it, you have a seamless experience, but you end up pretty much with one company.

My wife uses Mail for email, the Apple Address Book for contacts, Safari for web browsing and bookmarks, iPhoto for photos, and iTunes for music and podcasts. All of that stuff syncs up when she plugs her iPhone into her Macbook Pro.

I tried using regular stuff with the HTC Magic (manually entered, non-synced contacts, non-indexed photos), but I ended up finding doing things "the Google way" to just make the experience with the MyTouch better. So now, even though I don't use GMail, I have my contacts synced to GMail, which also syncs to Google Voice, which has an app, and my photos are uploaded to Picasa.

So my wife's computer life belongs to Apple. Mine belongs to Ubuntu and Google.

I know some people find that disturbing, but I don't see what's so wrong with it. Unless you are going to host your own servers and start your own cellular network and produce your own phone, you always have to "trust" a company with hosting your stuff for you. Just don't give yourself any illusions (unlike certain "anonymous" bloggers) that a company gives you anonymity or is going to defy court orders so that it can protect your privacy.

Privacy is just an illusion anyway. You want privacy? Don't check out books from the library, or buy anything from a store that has a camera, or drive anywhere that has intersections with cameras, or ever use a bank or debit card or credit card, or sign up for a loan, or buy a house, or get a college education, or use electricity. If the government wants to know what you're doing, they have ways to find out.

pwnst*r
August 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
yes i plan on it, no the current does not "blow the iphone away".

blur xc
August 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Has anyone read/viewed a recent review of the Hero? Imo, it's way worth the wait for gen II. They all pretty much state the hero is nothing but a bloated magic (all magic hardware underneath). Sure, it has all the blign, but it doesn't have the horse power to run it all smoothly. If jitters and lags are ok w/ you, go ahead and buy it. I, personally, would wait a little while longer and hope they put in some more more mhz and mb or whatever...

I find it ironic, how everyone is buying Apple products because they are hip, and cool, yet they are all just cookie cutter copies of each other. Reminds me of the old mac commercial, except now the mac users are the ones brainwashed in grey clothes. There's even less choice from apple than there is from ibm/pc's on windows... no originality. ./end-rant

BM

.Maleficus.
August 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I find it ironic, how everyone is buying Apple products because they are hip, and cool, yet they are all just cookie cutter copies of each other. Reminds me of the old mac commercial, except now the mac users are the ones brainwashed in grey clothes. There's even less choice from apple than there is from ibm/pc's on windows... no originality. ./end-rant

I bought my iPhone in spite of the fact that ironic hipsters buy them. It's a great phone with lots of great features and a nice interface.

aysiu
August 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I bought my iPhone in spite of the fact that ironic hipsters buy them. It's a great phone with lots of great features and a nice interface.
You're the exception to the rule, probably.

Most of the people I know with iPhones just got them because "everyone else" has them.

blur xc
August 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Yeah, I should have mentioned that we bought one too (for my wife)... It is a nice phone, but I'm happy with my Samsung A727. There are a few things, in spite of all the iPhones advanced features, that it just cannot do compared to my little itty bitty "dumb" phone (i.e. Fit comfortably in my pocket :P)...

BM

hanzomon4
August 26th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Most of the people I know with iPhones just got them because "everyone else" has them.

Who do you hangout with? All the people I know with iPhones bought them for the features and how they're presented to the user. Most have a large iTunes and use macs so.. it kinda makes sense.

aysiu
August 26th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Who do you hangout with? All the people I know with iPhones bought them for the features and how they're presented to the user. Most have a large iTunes and use macs so.. it kinda makes sense.
I guess we're in a different crowd of folks, then.

Your location says you're in Chicago. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

hanzomon4
August 26th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I guess we're in a different crowd of folks, then.

Your location says you're in Chicago. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ah... West Coast liberals [-(

(I'm so joking)

HappinessNow
August 26th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I didn't just plan... I actually got one. I know the Hero is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips, but I got impatient, and I like the Magic a lot, especially with a rooted ROM installed in place of the stock Android from T-Mobile (I'm in the US - the phone dictates the carrier here).

It kind of makes sense, though. The iPhone is very sexy, of course, but it leaves you with only a few less-than-ideal options:

Use Windows in some fashion (virtualization/dual boot)
Buy a Mac also
Jailbreak it... and possibly have to re-jailbreak or tweak to keep up with updates

I love how this article about jailbreaking your iPhone (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10312755-233.html) has a little disclaimer at the bottom: There aren't many things my wife's iPhone can do that my MyTouch 3G (that's what T-Mobile calls the HTC Magic) can't do. And there are things the MyTouch can do that the iPhone can't.

Off-topic
What's interesting, though, is how both Apple and Google entice you to do things their respective ways, and if you go along with it, you have a seamless experience, but you end up pretty much with one company.

My wife uses Mail for email, the Apple Address Book for contacts, Safari for web browsing and bookmarks, iPhoto for photos, and iTunes for music and podcasts. All of that stuff syncs up when she plugs her iPhone into her Macbook Pro.

I tried using regular stuff with the HTC Magic (manually entered, non-synced contacts, non-indexed photos), but I ended up finding doing things "the Google way" to just make the experience with the MyTouch better. So now, even though I don't use GMail, I have my contacts synced to GMail, which also syncs to Google Voice, which has an app, and my photos are uploaded to Picasa.

I know some people find that disturbing, but I don't see what's so wrong with it. Unless you are going to host your own servers and start your own cellular network and produce your own phone, you always have to "trust" a company with hosting your stuff for you. Just don't give yourself any illusions (unlike certain "anonymous" bloggers) that a company gives you anonymity or is going to defy court orders so that it can protect your privacy.

Privacy is just an illusion anyway. You want privacy? Don't check out books from the library, or buy anything from a store that has a camera, or drive anywhere that has intersections with cameras, or ever use a bank or debit card or credit card, or sign up for a loan, or buy a house, or get a college education, or use electricity. If the government wants to know what you're doing, they have ways to find out.

aysiu, Thanks for the insight. So it comes down to 2 (or 3) realities to BUY into: Google, Apple, (and perhaps MS)...in the long run most can predict Google is here to stay and their footprint will become much larger, same with Apple and we all know about MS.

I have yet to buy anything, still holding out and getting as much mileage that I can out of my skinny Motorola.

I don't see myself buying into Apple's version of reality, but I do toy with the idea of buying an iMac, but i find it hard to surrender to this version of reality. So I hold out a bit longer, hopefully until next year.

Has anyone read/viewed a recent review of the Hero? Imo, it's way worth the wait for gen II. They all pretty much state the hero is nothing but a bloated magic (all magic hardware underneath). Sure, it has all the blign, but it doesn't have the horse power to run it all smoothly. If jitters and lags are ok w/ you, go ahead and buy it. I, personally, would wait a little while longer and hope they put in some more more mhz and mb or whatever...

BMIt appears the basis of your opinion is from reading other people's reviews and thoughts.

blur xc
August 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM
It appears the basis of your opinion is from reading other people's reviews and thoughts.

Until I try something myself, I tend to read up a lot from a lot of sources. If many are saying the same thing, it stands to reason it's probably true. I try to avoid buying something blindly.

Also, seeing them demonstrate some of the problems on youtube helps reinforce that. I already assume most reviewers are way more critical than the average consumer.

BM

PurposeOfReason
August 27th, 2009, 03:55 AM

BM
Might want to recheck that. It was a ROM issue, if you find any recent video of the hero with the new ROM it is quick snappy.

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Until I try something myself, I tend to read up a lot from a lot of sources. If many are saying the same thing, it stands to reason it's probably true. I try to avoid buying something blindly.

Also, seeing them demonstrate some of the problems on youtube helps reinforce that. I already assume most reviewers are way more critical than the average consumer.

BMI chalk 99%+ of Bad reviews to user errors, or just plain stupidity until you can validate it yourself it is hallow and pointless to even mention. Bad rumors are simply bad rumors even on video.

Point in case: I bought a camera recently that had many bad reviews and just as many good ones. I bought the camera and found that the bad reviews even the supposed "proof" on video turned out to be false. Again, the bad reviews turned out to be one of three things:

1. Plain user error
2. blatant stupidity
3. highly probable biased reviews

Reviews = Everybody has one and they 'mostly' all stink.

Now there are some reviews that have legitimacy, because you may know the source and you can read the sincerity, like the one posted in this thread that you seemed to ignore while giving more weight to unknown variables:

It kind of makes sense, though. The iPhone is very sexy, of course, but it leaves you with only a few less-than-ideal options:

Use Windows in some fashion (virtualization/dual boot)
Buy a Mac also
Jailbreak it... and possibly have to re-jailbreak or tweak to keep up with updates

I love how this article about jailbreaking your iPhone (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10312755-233.html) has a little disclaimer at the bottom: There aren't many things my wife's iPhone can do that my MyTouch 3G (that's what T-Mobile calls the HTC Magic) can't do. And there are things the MyTouch can do that the iPhone can't.

Off-topic

hanzomon4
August 27th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I chalk 99%+ of Bad reviews to user errors, or just plain stupidity until you can validate it yourself it is hallow and pointless to even mention. Bad rumors are simply bad rumors even on video.

Point in case: I bought a camera recently that had many bad reviews and just as many good ones. I bought the camera and found that the bad reviews even the supposed "proof" on video turned out to be false. Again, the bad reviews turned out to be one of three things:

1. Plain user error
2. blatant stupidity
3. highly probable biased reviews

Reviews = Everybody has one and they 'mostly' all stink.

Now there are some reviews that have legitimacy, because you may know the source and you can read the sincerity, like the one posted in this thread that you seemed to ignore while giving more weight to unknown variables:

Um... that review is for the Magic not the Hero...

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Um... that review is for the Magic not the Hero...

hanzomon4 refer to this post:

...the hero is nothing but a bloated magic...

then see this post:

Installing a rooted version of Android is easier than I thought it’d be (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/installing-a-rooted-version-of-android-is-easier-than-i-thought-itd-be/)http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/?s=android

The review/tutorial is for Andriod which is in both the Hero and the Magic.

Also refer to this post in this thread:

Might want to recheck that. It was a ROM issue, if you find any recent video of the hero with the new ROM it is quick snappy. In reference to the Hero.

hanzomon4
August 27th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Ok... but blur xc was talking about the Hero

Frak
August 27th, 2009, 04:21 AM

I bought one to do real-world tests. The iPhone simulator just leaves things to be desired (like an ARM emulator).

Though, I'm moving to the Android, because, and just because, the approval system that Apple employees for apps that enter the market place is backwards, baised, and out of the loop 99% of the time with what's actually going on.

blur xc
August 27th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Ok... but blur xc was talking about the Hero

Yes I was- in the same review they praised the magic. The magic does what it needs to do, but w/ less bells ans whistles (crunch bang linux vs ubuntu w/ full compiz whiz bang bling)...

BM

PurposeOfReason
August 27th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Blur, please say what is wrong with this:
http://www.techtree.com/India/News/HTC_Hero_ROM_Update_Previewed/551-105701-893.html

misfitpierce
August 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Android is more powerful OS and feature wise than restricted iPhone OS.

blur xc
August 27th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Blur, please say what is wrong with this:
http://www.techtree.com/India/News/HTC_Hero_ROM_Update_Previewed/551-105701-893.html

Umm... nothing, except that it's not OUT YET.

This is how it works if you bought one today- http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/htc-hero-review/

As I said in my first post, I would wait for an update or upgrade or whatever... Now that it's around the corner, I say great. It looks like an awesome phone.

I will say that I'm quite impressed w/ the short amount of time it took htc to fix the lags. My expectation for fixes like this is a LOT lower, from my experiences with other products.

If I had known about the hero a few months ago, I probably would not have bought the iphone. Also, being tied to AT&T is a bit of a problem too... It would be cost prohibitive for us to switch for some time...

BM

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Android is more powerful OS and feature wise than restricted iPhone OS.
Well stated. 8-)

oboedad55
August 28th, 2009, 05:22 AM
HTC has a new user friendly interface that is tweaked beyond the basic Android OS.

The HTC Hero is definitely polished and refined beyond the Magic, I am checking the Rachel out now. ;)

Edit: just checked out the Rachel and that looks pretty awesome also!

You can actually buy an unlocked version of the HTC Hero nice which is nice!

The cheapest I have been able to find it is $399.89 (http://www.auroracell.com/htc-hero-brown-unlocked-gsm.html?___store=default)

but it appears to be out of stock all ready!

It's back in stock but it's listed at $579.89. That's a little rich for my blood!

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
It's back in stock but it's listed at $579.89. That's a little rich for my blood!
Mine as well, that is why I hope to hold off until next year. Hopefully the price will drop.

Giant Speck
August 28th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Holy crap!

I no longer feel bad for how much I spent for my iPhone. Though, I never felt bad about it in the first place. :D

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Holy crap!

I no longer feel bad for how much I spent for my iPhone. Though, I never felt bad about it in the first place. :D

iPhones are bargain basement specials comparatively speaking. I mostly see elementary, and junior high school kids using them, they are great for the BubbleGum crowd. :P

PurposeOfReason
August 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Mine as well, that is why I hope to hold off until next year. Hopefully the price will drop.

iPhones are bargain basement specials comparatively speaking. I mostly see elementary, and junior high school kids using them, they are great for the BubbleGum crowd. :P
Remember that is without contract vs. with contract.

aysiu
August 28th, 2009, 05:46 AM
In the US, the iPhone is $199 with a two-year AT&T contract, and the HTC Magic is $199 with a two-year T-Mobile contract.

More details here:
http://www.billshrink.com/blog/mytouch-3g-vs-iphone-vs-palm-pre/

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM
In the US, the iPhone is $199 with a two-year AT&T contract, and the HTC Magic is $199 with a two-year T-Mobile contract.Any word on the HTC Hero being offered by a US carrier?

My ATT contract is up which means unless I wanted an iPhone (Which I don't) I should shop around for a new provider.

Unless I buy unlocked.

aysiu
August 28th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Any word on the HTC Hero being offered by a US carrier?

My ATT contract is up which means unless I wanted an iPhone (Which I don't) I should shop around for a new provider.

Unless I buy unlocked.
Only rumors.

I think Sprint.

aysiu
August 28th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Any word on the HTC Hero being offered by a US carrier?
Only rumors.

I think Sprint.

Giant Speck
August 28th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Why do you have to insult me like that? [-(

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Why do you have to insult me like that? [-(I apologize Very, very much, it was not meant as a personal insult to you, just a personal observation of where I live all the kids around here have iPhones, I think it is cute not an insult.

I only wish that when I was a kid I had such wonderful gadgets to play with.

Being youthful is not an insult anyway, that is why Apple is so successful. :P

(also $579.89 is much more expensive then $199)

PurposeOfReason
August 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Only rumors.

I think Sprint.
It is more or less confirmed now. It is about time Sprint got something too, they've been down for a long time. Sadly I got a touch pro in January.

Giant Speck
August 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I apologize Very, very much, it was not meant as a personal insult to you, just a personal observation of where I live all the kids around here have iPhones, I think it is cute not an insult.

I only wish that when I was a kid I had such wonderful gadgets to play with.

Being youthful is not an insult anyway, that is why Apple is so successful. :P

(also $579.89 is much more expensive then $199)

Regardless of whether or not it was a personal attack on me, I find your condescending attitude toward iPhone users a bit annoying. I do a hell of a lot more with my phone than just "playing" with it.

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM

oh brother.

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Regardless of whether or not it was a personal attack on me, I find your condescending attitude toward iPhone users a bit annoying. I do a hell of a lot more with my phone than just "playing" with it.Sorry for the miss understanding, but my post was neither condescending or exhibiting an attitude; I was merely making a observation that the price has dropped so low that parents are more then willing to buy them for their little peeps. Again, the bargain basement prices (which is a good thing) is awesome for the bubblegum crowd (also a good thing). This is merely an observational fact, I regret that you took personal offense but that does not change reality.

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
It is more or less confirmed now. It is about time Sprint got something too, they've been down for a long time. Sadly I got a touch pro in January.Really?...how does Sprint compare in service to ATT? and when will they be available to purchase? also do you know what the price will be with a 2 year contract?

PurposeOfReason
August 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Really?...how does Sprint compare in service to ATT? and when will they be available to purchase? also do you know what the price will be with a 2 year contract?
I've had an iPhone with ATT, I much prefer Sprint. You might want to look at coverage maps though. It should be October 13th if everything has been reliable (and having HTC put "Hero (Sprint)" in their help section is pretty confirmed) for probably $199. That seems to be the major going rate.

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I've had an iPhone with ATT, I much prefer Sprint. You might want to look at coverage maps though. It should be October 13th if everything has been reliable (and having HTC put "Hero (Sprint)" in their help section is pretty confirmed) for probably $199. That seems to be the major going rate.Sounds awesome Thanks for the information. :P

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Has anyone read/viewed a recent review of the Hero?

Might want to recheck that. It was a ROM issue, if you find any recent video of the hero with the new ROM it is quick snappy.

The new Gen II ROM is confirmed much more quick and snappy for the HTC Hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYV9NNoI8Hc

bukueOner
August 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM
the only problem is that all these phones are just another hopeless attempt by the big phone companies to compete with the iphone. there have been heaps of attempts to compete with the iphones touch capabilities, and guess what...they all FAILED. they're just another model that came from another company, that will be forgotten in a few months. The iphone however is the IPHONE! it doesn't have some crappy model number or name like "the magic phone". its clean, its simple, its memorable and it was first.

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 09:43 AM
the only problem is that all these phones are just another hopeless attempt by the big phone companies to compete with the iphone. there have heaps of attempts to compete with the iphones touch capabilities, and guess what...they all FAILED. they're just another model that came from another company, that will be forgotten in a few months. The iphone however is the IPHONE! it doesn't have some crappy model number or name like "the magic phone". its clean, its simple, its memorable and it was first.

:lolflag:

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 09:15 PM
The new Gen II ROM is confirmed much more quick and snappy for the HTC Hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYV9NNoI8Hc

a youtube video is confirmation?

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
a youtube video is confirmation?
Perhaps you should buy one and confirm it yourself, I plan to and will post results. :)

Honestly, for iPhone users who get offended, iPhones are great 'for you' but there are other worthy options out there that exist and some are better options depending on perspective. From the Open Source/Linux perspective especially, the HTC Magic and the HTC Hero are much better options overall. Again that is simply from a different perspective.

For some Microsoft Windows and Apple OS X are better options then Linux based Operating Systems like Ubuntu, and that is a perspective that can be respected. Yet it is all dependent on perspective.

Options are nice, it would be a sad, sad world if the iPhone was the only option available, likewise it would also be sad if Windows and OS X were our only options and Linux did not exist.

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 11:25 PM
Perhaps you should buy one and confirm it yourself, I plan to and will post results. :)

Honestly, for iPhone users who get offended, iPhones are great 'for you' but there are other worthy options out there that exist and some are better options depending on perspective. From the Open Source/Linux perspective especially, the HTC Magic and the HTC Hero are much better options overall. Again that is simply from a different perspective.

For some Microsoft Windows and Apple OS X are better options then Linux based Operating Systems like Ubuntu, and that is a perspective that can be respected. Yet it is all dependent on perspective.

Options are nice, it would be a sad, sad world if the iPhone was the only option available, likewise it would also be sad if Windows and OS X were our only options and Linux did not exist.

you don't understand. i WANT competition for the iphone, but don't believe for a second that someone posting a youtube vid is any sort of confirmation. let's wait for the real deal and real reviews from reputable sites.

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM
you don't understand. i WANT competition for the iphone, but don't believe for a second that someone posting a youtube vid is any sort of confirmation. let's wait for the real deal and real reviews from reputable sites.Okay. :P

Johnsie
September 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM
I like Windows Mobile on my phone. I installed Android on it and didn't see enough to convince me that Android was any better. Iphone is just an overrated fad that will end once it goes out of fashion. The phone market is crowded and I don't see Apple being able to compete against all the phone manufacturers at the same time. The funny thing is, it's the Apple fanboys who make people want to get other phones.

amitabhishek
September 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I like Windows Mobile on my phone. I installed Android on it and didn't see enough to convince me that Android was any better.

Which phone you have? How did you install? Care to share your secret? ;)

HappinessNow
September 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I like Windows Mobile on my phone. I installed Android on it and didn't see enough to convince me that Android was any better. Iphone is just an overrated fad that will end once it goes out of fashion. The phone market is crowded and I don't see Apple being able to compete against all the phone manufacturers at the same time. The funny thing is, it's the Apple fanboys who make people want to get other phones.I see the iPhone just getting more and more popular as the price drops and more parents buy them for their tweens and younger children.

pwnst*r
September 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I like Windows Mobile on my phone. I installed Android on it and didn't see enough to convince me that Android was any better. Iphone is just an overrated fad that will end once it goes out of fashion. The phone market is crowded and I don't see Apple being able to compete against all the phone manufacturers at the same time. The funny thing is, it's the Apple fanboys who make people want to get other phones.

this is comedy central.

hanzomon4
September 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM

Now That's funny!

For those with a Magic(MyTouch) How is the music video player?

kung fu buntu
September 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I've read that you can mount the phone and that the only way it syncs it to the google/carnivore cloud.
It seems 3rd party apps are in development for synchronizing amarok, banshee, and other programs.

My question is: can I mount the phone to copy from/to my desktop: sms sent and received, mms sent and received, contact information (in a html table or maybe through some sql query)?

EDIT: I waa thinking on starting a new thread... but will probably get lost so. There are too many android threads already.

1) can I use container encryption in android like truecrypt? (it seems file encryption is not possible/available)

2) can I use emulators (like snes) in android phones which do not have hardware keyboard?
(fact: it's already possible to use emulators in android, the question is: what about phones without hardware keyboard?)