PDA

View Full Version : I Pre-Ordered Windows 7 Last Week!

kevpan815
July 9th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I Just Wanted 2 Let Everyone Know That I Pre-Ordered Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Edition Last Week!

Dougie187
July 9th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Awesome.

aktiwers
July 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
How much did it cost?

And is it good? I only tried the beta..

hanzomon4
July 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Pics are it didn't happen!! j/k

Cool.. write us a review when you get it.

lukeiamyourfather
July 9th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I jumped on the half price upgrade as well for gaming, Photoshop, and Netflix. Which reminds me that Netflix still doesn't work in Linux. :mad:

H2SO_four
July 9th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I am running the RC and its quite nice

swoll1980
July 9th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starcraft.man
July 9th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Waiting till fall, I'll probably get it through my uni.

LowSky
July 9th, 2009, 01:41 AM
great place to post, but good for you

dragos240
July 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Why do people like win 7, it doesn't even recognize my wireless. >.<. I'm using the RC

Bart_D
July 9th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I Just Wanted 2 Let Everyone Know That I Pre-Ordered Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Edition Last Week!

Wrong place.

Some of us don't care and do not use Windows so why should we be concerned about purchase of it?

credobyte
July 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Why do people like win 7, it doesn't even recognize my wireless. >.<. I'm using the RC

For the same reason why people like Vista ( until they realize that it's a complete kids game :D ).

Wrong place.

Some of us don't care and do not use Windows so why should we be concerned about purchase of it?

This is some kind of Offtopic category, so .. shhhh :p

reprobus
July 9th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I tried the Windows 7 release candidate in a virtual machine via vmware and honestly its not that bad of an OS. It's a heck of a lot better than Vista but it won't be replacing Linux on any of my machines. I am 100% Microsoft free and I intend to stay that way.

lukeiamyourfather
July 9th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Wrong place.

And some of us need to lighten up a little bit. :neutral:

Hallvor
July 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM
*deleted*

HappinessNow
July 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I jumped on the half price upgrade as well for gaming, Photoshop, and Netflix. Which reminds me that Netflix still doesn't work in Linux. :mad:

Is the half price upgrade good if your using Windows XP, and does Windows 7 have tablet PC compatibility?

LookTJ
July 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Is the half price upgrade good if your using Windows XP?[/snip]From what I recall, I'm thinking yes.

Swarms
July 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Wrong place.

Now run along little troll, you are just annoying people who are genuinely interested in this thread.

Giant Speck
July 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Why Did You Capitalize Every Word In That Sentence? Are You Posting From A Cell Phone Or Something?

tacantara
July 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
To the OP: Upgrading from Vista, or XP? I'm curious, because I'm running XP in virtualbox, but if Win7 is any good, I might consider an upgrade - if I can upgrade directly from XP. Although if necessary, I have a legit copy of Vista Basic (the really low-end one w/o Aero and all that) that I could use to prime the system to accept 7.

ZarathustraDK
July 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM

(In an Superman-presentation kinda fashion)

"It's a rapidly growing de-branched eucalyptus-trunk!"

"It's the worlds tallest telescopic radio-mast unfolding!"

"NO! IT'S KEVPAN815'S NOSE!"

:lolflag:

khelben1979
July 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I feel that I don't really like any version of Windows. Windows 7 seems to be better than Vista, though.

I haven't understood how people can stand with all the troubles that Vista has shown, let's hope that Windows 7 will get less problematic then, thinking positive.

DataCabbitKSW
July 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Even for those who use Linux as their primary OS, WINE doesn't always directly support everything that you may need to run that is only available in Microsoft land. Windows 7 has a lot of improvements over Windows XP, and a lot over Windows Vista. They included lots of virtualization improvements for both hosting and as a hosted OS. So those of you running a Microsoft OS in VirtualBox or through another method will find that helpful. They made it so it can run on a lot less resources and have a smaller footprint overall. As to the person who claimed that the Windows RC wouldn't automatically recognize his wireless adapter, I have yet to get any linux build to do that. Further, you can use the Vista drivers to get it installed in a pinch if you happen to know what the chipset/manufacturer and model is.

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM
1. How much?

2. Which version?

Hopefully, for Microsoft's sake, Vista will go down as another ME. They quickly replaced it with 2k/2k pro (which was a good OS), and they are quickly replacing Vista with 7.

They are closing it more and more, though. The stupid signing feature for Vista screwed many programs, and is just a very unethical business practice (well, how they implemented it, anyway).

I think Win 7 will be worse. This is just going by the assumption that they will keep going down the same route, though. I haven't used it. It will likely be a while before I do.

jimv
July 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Windows 7 is great, but the UI reminds me a lot of KDE 4.

SuperSonic4
July 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I burnt my money, in the temporary period of warmth it gave out it still did more use than windows ever did

decoherence
July 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I Burnt The Windows 7 RC ISO And Now I Don't Get Any Rings On My Coffee Table.

Thank You MicroSoft!!!1!eleventyone

:lolflag:

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
The deadline for the $50 charge was this past saturday (july 11th) wasn't it? I really should have preordered a copy :|.

andrew.g
July 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Am I missing something? I just do not understand all the supposed euphoria directed towards any of the Windows 7 betas. I've tested most of the 32 and 64 bit builds available to date and nothing strikes me as revolutionary or unique.

The statement "I Pre-Ordered Windows 7 Last Week!" on a Linux forum amused me I guess. This is my first post.

linuxguymarshall
July 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I have had the RC on my Lenovo S10 (netbook) for the past few weeks and while it is good I do not think it is an XP killer. The RAM usage is still much higher than Micro$oft said it would be (512 MB netbooks can not handle it as I got 600 MB usage at idle) but if you have the RAM then go for it. It is a very nice OS and I am sure the next version of windows may finally be able to kick XP out of my life

SuperSonic4
July 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Perhaps the OP will be able to buy some software that teaches them simple grammar such as proper nouns?

CJ Master
July 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Perhaps the OP will be able to buy some software that teaches them simple grammar (such as proper nouns?)

Fix'd that for you.

.Maleficus.
July 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have had the RC on my Lenovo S10 (netbook) for the past few weeks and while it is good I do not think it is an XP killer. The RAM usage is still much higher than Micro$oft said it would be (512 MB netbooks can not handle it as I got 600 MB usage at idle) but if you have the RAM then go for it. It is a very nice OS and I am sure the next version of windows may finally be able to kick XP out of my life
The RC is Windows 7 Ultimate - there are a ridiculous amount of background services running that wouldn't be needed on a netbook. Open msconfig, click the Services tab and turn off things that a netbook wouldn't need (touchscreen support, fax support, bluetooth maybe, you get the idea) and you'll see it could very well run on a 512MB netbook.

Anyways, the preorder deal has ended through both Microsoft and through Best Buy. I probably should I gotten it but I guess I'll get over it eventually :).

Edit:

Perhaps the OP will be able to buy some software that teaches him/her simple grammar such as proper nouns?
Fixed the other one for you.

twright
July 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
To the OP: Upgrading from Vista, or XP? I'm curious, because I'm running XP in virtualbox, but if Win7 is any good, I might consider an upgrade - if I can upgrade directly from XP. Although if necessary, I have a legit copy of Vista Basic (the really low-end one w/o Aero and all that) that I could use to prime the system to accept 7.
For those in the UK you cannot get upgrade editions but due to that the normal one is the same price (thanks to the stripping IE thing)

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
For those in the UK you cannot get upgrade editions but due to that the normal one is the same price (thanks to the stripping IE thing)

I read about that. There is absolutely no reason for that, like they try to claim. It is a bunch of BS, and the only reason for it is to pay for the huge anti-trust settlement they lost. They're just (censored)ing.

raronson
July 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Lol. Most obvious troll post ever :)

Thanks for the giggle.

SirBismuth
July 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
What is the minimum partition that you can install Windows 7 on?.

I currently dual-boot with XP and Ubuntu at work and home, and am ready to can Windows entirely at home. Unfortunately I can't at work, so was just wondering what the smallest partition was that I could make for 7. And even XP for that matter?.

Just thought of this while reading this thread, so haven't searched yet either, will do that too!.

B