PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help needed with write protection

DawieS
July 8th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post, I upgraded from Windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04 last week. First of all, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised!! Thanks to all the wonderful people out there for their great work!!!):P

The installation on my daughter's PC went without a glitch. However on my PC, I have the following minor issues:
- I have an old web-cam (Canyon CNR - WCAM43). From what I have read on various forums and groups, the best solution is to buy a Linux compatible web-cam, instead of wasting a lot of time, only to end up with a half-working old web-cam.
- I have a flat-bed scanner connected. From what I have read, it should be fairly easy to get it working 100%.
- The on-board sound (Gigabyte S-Series GA-MA69G-S3H) does not work. With XP I had to disable the front panel jack detection in the driver interface before it worked (probably a bug on the motherboard). I have searched the various forums and found a lot of good advice on how to achieve the same. So far I have done the following:
- The boot configuration was adjusted to allow for sound de-bugging. Various de-bugging and information files were created.
- When using Alsamixer, the headphone slider is stuck at 0% and will not go up, although it is green and not muted.
- I now need to write the value "hp_detect = yes" into the following file:
/sys/class/sound/hwC0D3/hints
I tried 'sudo gedit' but it is unable to open the file. I tried another editor Kate, which opens the file but is unable to save, even with a different name. Kate however reports that the file location is the following:
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/hwC0D3/hints

Wherever the file is, it seems that I do not have authorisation to write in that directory. I am now somewhat confused and stuck. If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated !!
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

earthpigg
July 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
i have seen others that, for their computer, 8.04 works fine on whereas 9.04 does not. this is not the way things should be, but nothing is perfect. try tossing an 8.04 live cd in, see how that works.

- I now need to write the value "hp_detect = yes" into the following file:
/sys/class/sound/hwC0D3/hints

i google searched that file, and the only result i got was this thread.... where did you get that information from?

DawieS
July 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have booted up from the Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD and found that the /sys folder on the hard drive is empty. All folders and files in it only exists while Ubuntu is alive (probably for security reasons).

I then had another look at the instructions in the Readme files that I have followed. It seems that I have skipped the second last step (having to to with the permission settings of the configuration files).

this thread.... where did you get that information from?[/quote]

I have downloaded the following driver tar file from Realtek (the vendor of the on-board sound card) and uncompressed it. It contains the same sound drivers installed by Ubuntu 9.04 but also contains a number of Reame files:

LinuxPkg_5.12.tar.bz2

The file-naming convention used in the instructions is slightly different from those Ubuntu use. I thus had to hunt for files with the file browser to verify success. I will compile a how-to for new users like me with the same problem.

More sound-related info at: http://www.alsa-project.org