PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i am getting kicked in the umbuntu trying to install

silycyber
July 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

I have been plugging away at trying to install Ubuntu on my computer for 3 daysz now. I ordered a a cd, i also downloaded and made an .ISO and have even tried Xbuntu. For one i get no splash screen when it loads instead i get this white squares blinking i can get as far as to where it will say ubuntu@ubuntu:~1
for Xbuntu i get no splash screen again and i get to a login and password in the scripting and nothing. please bare in mind I am completly new to this software and would love some help.

Thnaks

Silycyber

merlinus
July 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
A few suggestions:

check the cd for errors at the opening menu.

do a checksum for your downloaded .iso --

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

and burn at no more than 4x speed.

try safe graphics mode -- press F4 at the opening menu for this option.

silycyber
July 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I have done this in the safe graphics mode and I still can not get this software to work even in the demo version.

here is excatly what happens
it has a boot_ (blinking) I hit Enter
from there i chose install either way no ubuntu
then white boxes randomly blinking on screen
then an underscore blinking
then stuff starts checking out
everything is saying [ok]
from there I 4 blue bars on the right and 4 on the left
with information below loading/casper/vmlinuz...
I then hit enter and I am at the ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

merlinus
July 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
What about my other suggestions?

silycyber
July 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
All three are correct the Xubuntu.iso and the Ubuntu.iso and the cd that I recieved from Ubuntu

silycyber
July 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
if I select ubuntu to load instead of XP Pro I get Ubuntu 9.04 ubuntu tty1 then underneath I have ubuntu login: i then enter my username and password and hit enter past the no warrenty and to access official ubuntu documentation, then I get my username@ubuntu:~1
thanks
silycyber

merlinus
July 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Did you check the cds for errors at the opening menu? Can you try running them on another computer, as this will ensure your cd drive is ok.

silycyber
July 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I installed ubuntu on another computer this past weekend. so I know the cd's are ok.

merlinus
July 8th, 2009, 11:13 PM
That leaves your cd drive as the probable culprit. If your computer can boot from a usb flash drive, you might try that route.

earthpigg
July 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM
That leaves your cd drive as the probable culprit. If your computer can boot from a usb flash drive, you might try that route.

+1.

cd drives are funky. most things are either 'broken' or 'not broken'. not so with cd drives, based on my experience.

i have experienced a cd drive that works fine for anything *but* trying to boot from..... i used to be able to boot from that same cd drive without issue, but now its 'semi broken' and i cannot. what goes wrong varies in exact details, except that it only happens if bootable media is in the cd drive.

system -> administration -> usb startup disk creator

best of luck

Kunin
July 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM
if I select ubuntu to load instead of XP Pro I get Ubuntu 9.04 ubuntu tty1 then underneath I have ubuntu login: i then enter my username and password and hit enter past the no warrenty and to access official ubuntu documentation, then I get my username@ubuntu:~1
thanks
silycyber

Sounds like an xorg issue to me, what you have is the CLI that you get if X fails to start properly (everytime my installs have had problems screen would blink a few times before it let me type in my login).

What hardare are you using in this box? How many graphics cards?

What does your /etc/X11/xorg.conf look like? What about /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

For those files you can put them in pastebin and give us the url here.

$ sudo apt-get install pastebinit
Then
$ pastebinit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
$ pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log