PDA

View Full Version : Flash! In Chromium! On Linux!

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Zomg it works!

linuxguymarshall
July 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
How did you pull this one off? And can I see a game on somthing like AddictingGames being played because with YouTube being owned by Google they may ahve made a bit of compatibility there.

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
How did you pull this one off? And can I see a game on somthing like AddictingGames being played because with YouTube being owned by Google they may ahve made a bit of compatibility there.

I entered the following commands in a terminal a few days ago:

cd /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

Until today's update, only sound was working, but now sound and video are working.

The only thing that saddens me, though, is that Pandora doesn't seem to want to load all the way. :(

BlackRoijaX
July 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't care about Google Chrome? I like Google but Chrome just feels too lightweight compared with Firefox.

cph05a
July 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't care about Google Chrome? I like Google but Chrome just feels too lightweight compared with Firefox.

I think this browser has a lot of potential. Just give it some time.

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM

I just like having variety.

Closed_Port
July 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Great! I've been waiting for this.

BlackRoijaX
July 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I just like having variety.

Can't argue with that.

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Please note that using the command:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin.so

should also work instead of

For some reason, on my computer, the only thing in the Firefox plugins folder was flashplugin-alternative.so.

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Is their a way to change the fonts?

Add: I get audio, but no video.

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Not yet. That seems to be an issue with Google's port of WebKit. It doesn't use gtk-webkit like Midori or Epiphany-Webkit, for example, and therefore does not pull the font rendering settings from the desktop.

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Not yet. That seems to be an issue with Google's port of WebKit. It doesn't use gtk-webkit like Midori or Epiphany-Webkit, for example, and therefore does not pull the font rendering settings from the desktop.

Oh well. It's coming along nice though. I'm amazed at how fast they're moving it along.

bostonaholic
July 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Wait, when did chrome start working for Linux? I signed up for the email list from Google... I must be out of the loop.

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Wait, when did chrome start working for Linux? I signed up for the email list from Google... I must be out of the loop.

A pre-alpha Chrome was available like a month ago. We're talking about Chromium, they are not the same thing.

Closed_Port
July 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Add: I get audio, but no video.
Try to update. I did when I saw this here and with the latest build it's working.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Zomg it works!

bit off topic but can I ask how you got the cpu & ram meters on the right side of your screen?

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Try to update. I did when I saw this here and with the latest build it's working.

OK the youtube videos are working, but the ones at espn.com (espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4313176) are audio only.

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
bit off topic but can I ask how you got the cpu & ram meters on the right side of your screen?

That would be conky. Give me a little while and I'll try to post it in the conky thread.

Closed_Port
July 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
OK the youtube videos are working, but the ones at espn.com (espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4313176) are audio only.
Same here.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
That would be conky. Give me a little while and I'll try to post it in the conky thread.

ok thanks, when I tried to use conky it made it's own window and didn't look very good unlike yours

Vadi
July 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Good progress. I know a person who was needing that as the last resort (even with ff 3.5 fixing their crap linux js performance, chrome, in my benchmarks, is so far ahead still).

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
ok thanks, when I tried to use conky it made it's own window and didn't look very good unlike yours

You you have to replace your .conkrc file in your home folder with one of the ones in the conky thread.

hanzomon4
July 8th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Zomg it works!

Theme details?

moster
July 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Go and click update now manually. I have video too, and with version I downloaded 12 hours before no.

sdowney717
July 8th, 2009, 11:04 PM
interesting, I tried the link command and now I get audio but no video. The video field is empty.

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Go and click update now manually. I have video too, and with version I downloaded 12 hours before no.

I just installed the daily build like 3 hours ago.

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Theme details?

I want his wallpaper

sdowney717
July 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
well I just did a new manual install of the latest chromium and still only get audio and no video on youtube.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
You you have to replace your .conkrc file in your home folder with one of the ones in the conky thread.

yeah I figured it out thanks

Vrekk
July 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Dang it works pretty well :D Go Chromium team

sertse
July 9th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Works, nice work Speck :P (why would you be randomly copy plugins to the plugin folder on this random day ;) )

Dougie187
July 9th, 2009, 02:36 AM
That's cool that it works. I just have to figure what to link to with 64 bit flash installed.

flattop1
July 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Thanks ,
that works great

Tristam Green
July 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Strange, I've installed the most recent release in the PPA, and used Speck's steps outlined in his post on the first page, and only sound works properly right now.

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 03:03 AM
It does not work for me. Sound only.
Anyone know why?

Maybe I should uninstall chromium and reinstall.

sertse
July 9th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Speck's steps assume you have the flashplayer.so in that folder, the command is to symlink it to the chromium plugins' folder.

Make sure your flashplayer.so is actually in the folder, otherwise adjust the command to symlink from your folder.

Mine for example was in /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so - BUT this is on debian, not ubuntu so I don't know if it applies to you.

Zorael
July 9th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I can't decide which browser to stick with. I wish Firefox just wasn't so sluggish, and I need something fairly fast to compensate for this netbook being underpowered. And now I don't mean time-to-render-page, but in responsiveness, refresh rate, etc. Firefox *noticeably* lags behind when scrolling down on these forums, not to mention more javascript-heavy sites like gmail. And managing the window in genreal is just slower than any Qt browser I have available. Konqueror, sadly, is still using KHTML (so not an option), and Arora is still very early in development.

So far this Chromium alpha is great, especially now if Flash support starts trickling in, but I still need a flash blocker to go with that and some general adblock features. Ooh, and a chromium-qt flavor would be darling. And some akonadi and nepomuk awareness.

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 04:29 AM
uploaded an image of my file search for flashplugin.
how about a link to the one in /etc/alternatives?

DeadSuperHero
July 9th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I like Google but Chrome just feels too lightweight compared with Firefox.

Because you're more comfortable with slow and heavy, amirite?

JillSwift
July 9th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I still only get sound. :(

Dougie187
July 9th, 2009, 05:08 AM

I don't think that's going to work. What version of flash do you have installed?

sertse
July 9th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Try one of the flashplugin-alternative.so in your screenshot, using Speck's steps.

lovinglinux
July 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
It works for me, but what I think is interesting is that flash delivers the same crappy experience on Chromium, Firefox, Opera or whatever browser you can find.

I was wondering maybe Chromium would make some difference, but no. CPU usage raises to 45% when viewing a YouTube video embedded on Firefox or Chromium, while it drops to 9% when playing locally with gnome-mplayer or vlc. It's a huge difference.

Just for comparison, Chromium scores 1620 on Peacekeeper benchmarks on my machine, while Firefox 3.5 compiled with PGO and processor optimization flags scores 1110 and Opera 10 only 870.

Zorael
July 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Technically the correct one to link to is the one in /etc/alternatives. In case you install several plugins that provide Flash support (like Gnash), the only thing you need to change is where that /etc/alternatives symlink points towards. If you look at the plugin in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins, you'll see that it is actually a link to that very same /etc/alternatives link.

The *real* plugin binary is at /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so (on a 32-bit installation via the flashplugin-nonfree package), but by making symlinks in the plugin directories to symlinks in /etc/alternatives, you only need to reroute those /etc/alternatives symlinks to control which Flash a browser uses. There are user-specific alternatives too, so you wouldn't even need root access to change it on a user basis.

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so \
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so \
/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so } >> /etc/alternatives/*flashplugin >> /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/iceape/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so /
/usr/lib/randombrowser/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so /

$ sudo update-alternatives --config mozilla-flashplugin
$ sudo update-alternatives --config firefox-flashplugin
$ sudo update-alternatives --config iceweasel-flashplugin
$ sudo update-alternatives --config iceape-flashplugin
$ sudo update-alternatives --config randombrowser-flashplugin
Omit sudo to make it a user-specific setting.

Just to defeat the purpose, it gets a bit more confusing as any given browser will import plugins from other plugin directories than "its own"; Firefox won't just import from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins, but also from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins, /usr/lib/firefox-version/plugins, etc.

Obviously so far there isn't a chromium-browser-flashplugin alternative set up.

pixideps
July 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Until today's update, only sound was working, but now sound and video are working.

The only thing that saddens me, though, is that Pandora doesn't seem to want to load all the way. :(
Great thanx a lot

pt123
July 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
with Google's new Chrome OS they are sure to work with Adobe to improve the performance of Flash on Linux

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
created a link but now pages with flash stop responding and wont even load. It waits for a while and then asks me do I want to kill the page.
I am using the lates adobe flash in the repos.

scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins$ sudo ln -s /etc/alternatives/flashplugin-alternative.so
[sudo] password for scott:
ln: creating symbolic link `./flashplugin-alternative.so': File exists
scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins$

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I rebooted and now the page loads again only with audio, still no video flash.

just tried the configure option and it says nothing to do.
scott@scott-desktop:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config mozilla-flashplugin
[sudo] password for scott:

There is only 1 program which provides mozilla-flashplugin
(/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so). Nothing to configure.
scott@scott-desktop:~$

My machine is a 2.4ghz dell EVO with 1gb ram and 200gb drive and for the most part runs linux just fine.

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM
ok it is working!
I just did another manual update. I had done one yesterday after people posted how it was working with flash. the about page still shows the same version number.

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
ok, it is working on youtube but not on CNN video, sound only.

http://www.cnn.com/video/

can any of you check to see?

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
that was short, chromium has completely died. I was watching a youtube and right clicked the p[layer, got the flash about screen and then HARD LOCK, whole computer locked up. So I pulled plug and restarted. Now chromium wont start up anymore.

scott@scott-desktop:~$ chromium-browser

[6909:6909:1697561880:FATAL:/build/buildd/chromium-browser-3.0.193.0~svn20090708r20142/build-tree/src/chrome/browser/zygote_host_linux.cc(63)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox is mode 4755 and that /var/run/chrome-sandbox exists
Trace/breakpoint trap
scott@scott-desktop:~$

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
did a synaptic reinstall and it is worrking again, but I better not right click the adobe plugin window.

Xoanan
July 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
It works for me so far!
:popcorn:

sertse
July 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
You really have to post *6* times in a row?

Chromium is alpha, there are quirks, that it's working at all is impressive. That it's not is not worth posting about. It's not meant to work yet afterall.

I almost wish it didn't get told out, if user are going to react this way....

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
so far so good the last few minutes it has not crashed. Will keep you posted on if it does anything wrong.

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
guess what mostly works except going to full screen video, the player stopped responding and I had to kill it. but my system is ATI x1300 using the free drivers and it likely just cant handle it

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Google is an ADVERTISING company. they make money on WEB ADDS.
Do you really think they want to create an ADD BLOCKER for chromium or the new chrome OS?
I think as it will be open source, that someone else will have to program the feature. Seeing they might even consider the add viewing as a fundamental part of the process of marketing and subsidizing the OS into netbooks, etc... for free, they might even somehow sabotage add blocking or make it just very difficult to implement.

sdowney717
July 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
chromium with flash plugin linked is definitely buggy. I just went to ebay and the page cant finish loading. before the link it was fine. I think i will just unlink it for now.

update another fatal crash, this flash on chrome is definitely not ready.
I simply did a reboot and then tried to restart chromium

scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins$ chromium-browser
[6215:6215:197025969:FATAL:/build/buildd/chromium-browser-3.0.193.0~svn20090708r20142/build-tree/src/chrome/browser/zygote_host_linux.cc(63)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox is mode 4755 and that /var/run/chrome-sandbox exists
Trace/breakpoint trap

swoll1980
July 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
How does a browser crash bring down a whole system? There's something really wrong with that.

Johnsie
July 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I got it working. Good start anyway but still very buggy with the flash plugin. How do I deactivate the flash plugin?

BTW Google are going to be working with adobe on thier OS so hopeully things will improve.

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM

Yes I agree but in a year or so it should get better.

sdowney717
July 10th, 2009, 03:18 AM
To deactivate the plugin all I did was navigate to the chrome plugin folder and delete the link. And then I did a reinstall of chromium. You dont loose anything. Or perhaps you can do the unlink command.

sdowney717
July 10th, 2009, 03:23 AM
"How does a browser crash bring down a whole system? There's something really wrong with that."

I agree truly! Not a single crash or problem, everything perfect without the flash enabled in chromium. Flash is so buggy, but whatever it does to me, my whole sytem becomes unresponsive. Sometimes it slowly locks up, browser windows stop responding, one time the entire desktop turned BLACK! other times total hard lock.

Sublime Porte
July 10th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I like Google but Chrome just feels too lightweight compared with Firefox.

It is lightweight, and that's one of it's major advantages. I use it as a quick browser to open if I just wanna quickly check something. Since I usually have about 50 tabs saved per session in Firefox, I often don't wanna wait for them to all load just to check a quick page. I used to keep a second lightweight browser like Kazehakase or Netsurf or an Xulrunner 'simple-browser' around for this, but Chromium is much better.

Danbo19
July 10th, 2009, 06:02 AM
When I was still using windows I loved chrome for its speed. Although now that I am forced to use firefox I have fallen in love with all the add-ons that I inexplicably didn't know about before. I'll be torn between the two when chrome is officially released for Linux.

gradinaruvasile
July 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I experimented with the flash thing using the auto build version from here:

I linked the whole /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ folder to /chrome-linux/plugins
(note that this is a version that comes without plugins folder and different directory names, u just unpack wherewer u want and execute the chrome executable from the folder - it has a fast development cycle too, dozen or so updates/day).

I could use the quick time plugin to view an axis 210a camera which has mpeg4(quicktime) output. Funny i could hardly use this plugin in firefox...

If some1 interested, i attached a little script that downloads and installs/upgrades (and creates the plugin folder links) the chromium dev version from that site.

Update:

The totem plugin works best as i saw - can play embedded quicktime videos too from the apple site.

mister_k81
July 10th, 2009, 05:24 PM
chromium with flash plugin linked is definitely buggy. I just went to ebay and the page cant finish loading. before the link it was fine. I think i will just unlink it for now.

update another fatal crash, this flash on chrome is definitely not ready.
I simply did a reboot and then tried to restart chromium

scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins$ chromium-browser
[6215:6215:197025969:FATAL:/build/buildd/chromium-browser-3.0.193.0~svn20090708r20142/build-tree/src/chrome/browser/zygote_host_linux.cc(63)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox is mode 4755 and that /var/run/chrome-sandbox exists
Trace/breakpoint trap

I had the same problem with the latest build as well. But it can be solved it with this simple command:

sudo mkdir /var/run/chrome-sandbox

More info about this issue here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=16363

macabro22
July 11th, 2009, 05:03 AM
thanks Mr_k 81

That worked for me.

sdowney717
July 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks, gradinaruvasile the shell script works fine.
for movie trailer I have to actually click the control to show the video, otherwise it plays with a black screen.
why do cnn videos work only with sound? youtube is ok.

Also, i will likely not use chrome without an addblocker. the firefox addblocker will block cnn video adds.

RTrev
July 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
With or without the link, when I go to Youtube via Chromium Youtube always tells me that I need to enable Javascript. It makes no mention of Flash. Does this suggest anything? I haven't seen anyone else report this. I'm on Jaunty 64-bit if it matters.

siimo
July 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
How to hide Window Manager buttons in Chromium? or is that a Chrome only feature? (like in windows where windows standard minimize, maximize, close bar is hidden and Chrome shows its own).

I have seen some screenshots of the Linux GTK version doing the same (not wine version) but have not been able to find the option in Chromium.

Closed_Port
July 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
How to hide Window Manager buttons in Chromium? or is that a Chrome only feature? (like in windows where windows standard minimize, maximize, close bar is hidden and Chrome shows its own).

I have seen some screenshots of the Linux GTK version doing the same (not wine version) but have not been able to find the option in Chromium.
Just right click on the blue bar next to the tabs and deselect "use system titlebar and borders".

siimo
July 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Nice, thanks for the heads up.

Giant Speck
July 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Just right click on the blue bar next to the tabs and deselect "use system titlebar and borders".

Oh, that is so cool!

parthbakshi
July 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
hey..

thanks for the tip....;)

Vadi
July 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hm... personally, I find my native window handles to look much better than windows xp-like.

Giant Speck
July 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Hm... personally, I find my native window handles to look much better than windows xp-like.

My native window border doesn't really look good with it, considering my overall desktop theme is brown and Chromium is blue.

And Chromium is still really bad at emulating my dark Gnome theme. :mad:

joske
July 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
worked yesterday, with today's update no more ??

Closed_Port
July 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
worked yesterday, with today's update no more ??
Same problem here. Flash doesn't work after the latest update.

rileinc
July 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
does it work if you drop libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins?

JillSwift
July 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Flash died altogether on today's update, for me. :cry: Waaaahhhh!

darco
July 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Flash died altogether on today's update, for me. :cry: Waaaahhhh!

heh,,,,thought it was just me!

darco

swoll1980
July 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
does it work if you drop libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins?

No it doesn't work. When I go to a site with flash video, it just shows the install flash logo.

colorprint
July 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM
With or without the link, when I go to Youtube via Chromium Youtube always tells me that I need to enable Javascript. It makes no mention of Flash. Does this suggest anything? I haven't seen anyone else report this. I'm on Jaunty 64-bit if it matters.

The Chromium is 32bit app, so it needs 32bit plugins :(

Giant Speck
July 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
about:plugins

It shows that no plugins are installed, even though the plugins are obviously in the plugins folder. Damn it.

sefs
July 16th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Hi does Chromium have the V8 Javascript engine as well?

Since I can install this right now on my system, do I need to be waiting around for google chrome ... or will the two be on parity.

Thanks.

mister_k81
July 16th, 2009, 02:34 AM
heh,,,,thought it was just me!

darco

Same here too, flash doesn't work for me in the latest daily build. I wonder why it was disabled/ removed?

Vadi
July 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
They had another regression of the text randomly dissapearing from a page too. So this probably wasn't removed.

darco
July 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM
At least we get daily updates to the browser....that is nice.
Todays update , no fix tho :(

darco

birnam
July 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Flash died for me today too -- or so I thought. I played around a bit and found that using the " --enable-plugins " flag enabled it!

I'm currently using:

chromium-browser --enable-greasemonkey --enable-user-scripts --enable-extensions --enable-plugins

JillSwift
July 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Flash died for me today too -- or so I thought. I played around a bit and found that using the " --enable-plugins " flag enabled it!

I'm currently using:

chromium-browser --enable-greasemonkey --enable-user-scripts --enable-extensions --enable-plugins
D E W D !

Thanks a ton! I hand't thought to try this. I get flash now, and it has video*! Rah!

*On YouTube and Google video. Nothing on Veoh, cbs.com, audio only on metacafe...

Closed_Port
July 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM

I'm currently using:

Hey, thanks a lot, --enable-plugins solved it.

Vrekk
July 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM

I'm currently using:

good to have flash back, but has anyone else noticed that todays update made Chromium REALLY unstable?

darco
July 17th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Hey, thanks a lot, --enable-plugins solved it.

That line must be new, wasnt there before!...flash works now again..thxs

darco

ubudog
July 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM

That didn't work for me. How do I get it working?

ubudog
July 17th, 2009, 02:28 AM

I'm currently using:

Nevermind about my other post. This worked for me too.

crjackson
July 17th, 2009, 03:20 AM
It works for me, but what I think is interesting is that flash delivers the same crappy experience on Chromium, Firefox, Opera or whatever browser you can find.

I was wondering maybe Chromium would make some difference, but no. CPU usage raises to 45% when viewing a YouTube video embedded on Firefox or Chromium, while it drops to 9% when playing locally with gnome-mplayer or vlc. It's a huge difference.

Just for comparison, Chromium scores 1620 on Peacekeeper benchmarks on my machine, while Firefox 3.5 compiled with PGO and processor optimization flags scores 1110 and Opera 10 only 870.

Same experience here. Adobe Flash for Linux SUX!

ubudog
July 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Same experience here. Adobe Flash for Linux SUX!

Yes you are right.

lindenbranch
July 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me get flash to work on chromium, especially birnam. I was wondering why it wasn't working until he posted --enable-plugins. Thanks.

hyperdude111
July 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I still cant get this to work. Can someone please help. It might make a difference that I'm using the 64bit version under ia32 libs.

Thanks

dawnlove
July 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
when I used the enable plug-in script in terminal in my 64b xubuntu 9.04 I got back this

(chromium-browser:4495): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libxfce.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

anyone know how to fix this or just wait for updates?

darco
July 18th, 2009, 05:07 AM
when I used the enable plug-in script in terminal in my 64b xubuntu 9.04 I got back this

(chromium-browser:4495): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libxfce.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

anyone know how to fix this or just wait for updates?

I get this too because we are using x64 libraries and Chromium is x32...so we are using the wrong "class" (64)
but so what, Chromium works almost perfect for me, AdSweep,Flash,Java is all I need..I love the constant updates!

darco

pikaia
July 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ok. Installed Chromium no problem, but I can't get flash working to save my life. I've tried copy and pasting the .so into the plugin folder, I've
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so. And nothing. I've tried the --enable-plugins and still nothing. I'm using Hardy 64. Flash works on both Firefox and Opera.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

birnam
July 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ok. Installed Chromium no problem, but I can't get flash working to save my life. I've tried copy and pasting the .so into the plugin folder, I've
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so. And nothing. I've tried the --enable-plugins and still nothing. I'm using Hardy 64. Flash works on both Firefox and Opera.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm not sure what the flashplugin-alternative.so is. When I installed flash, I downloaded the .tar.gz version of the Linux installer from the Adobe website -- this is important because it is the 32bit version. The file in that is libflashplayer.so. That might be the issue.

martini1179
July 21st, 2009, 04:31 AM
I'm running Jaunty 64 with the 64-bit flash plugin, installed and working in Firefox and Opera with the workaround found in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081964

I've entered the terminal commands on the first page of this thread, I've created an icon with the --enable-plugins option, and yet Flash doesn't work. I don't want to go back to the 32-bit plugin because it doesn't work very well for me and a lot of others.

How do I get the 64-bit plugin to work with Chromium?

raronson
July 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM

There's not much to be impressed with now. It's not really about what it is, but where it's all going...

birnam
July 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
How do I get the 64-bit plugin to work with Chromium?

As far as I can tell, you don't. Chromium is only 32 bit, so it can only load 32 bit libraries.

I am still running the 64 bit flash player on all of my other browsers, and it's the one that's officially "installed" on my system.

When you extract the 32 bit libflashplayer.so from the .tar.gz archive you don't need to place it where the system/other browsers can use it, only in the chromium plugins directory within the chromium installation. This was /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/ for me.

pikaia
July 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure what the flashplugin-alternative.so is. When I installed flash, I downloaded the .tar.gz version of the Linux installer from the Adobe website -- this is important because it is the 32bit version. The file in that is libflashplayer.so. That might be the issue.

I actually tried both. I started with the flash 10 (libflashplayer.so) and that didn't work, following all instructions on the first page. Then I tried it as described after first removing this and installing the alternative one from synaptic. Neither works.

I just get the message that I need to install the plugin.

I'll keep trying, but I'm not holding out much hope. Has this been tested in Hardy? Which is what I'm using... everyone seems to be using Jaunty.

My problem could also be the 64-bit version of Flash... I'll dig a bit deeper.

darco
July 22nd, 2009, 01:08 AM
birnam is right....I have an x64 bit system w/Flash 10 installed and all is well. I did not want to whack a perfectly good system so I d/l the Flash x32 libflashplayer.so and extracted to the chromium/plugin folder and all is good.

darco

pikaia
July 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Well, after trying again I extracted to the plugins folder and now I get the black box but no flash video playing. So I guess its progress. Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks.

darco
July 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
Well, after trying again I extracted to the plugins folder and now I get the black box but no flash video playing. So I guess its progress. Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks.

You are running this command right?

good luck
darco

martini1179
July 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
As far as I can tell, you don't. Chromium is only 32 bit, so it can only load 32 bit libraries.

I am still running the 64 bit flash player on all of my other browsers, and it's the one that's officially "installed" on my system.

When you extract the 32 bit libflashplayer.so from the .tar.gz archive you don't need to place it where the system/other browsers can use it, only in the chromium plugins directory within the chromium installation. This was /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/ for me.

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure if I could have two Flash plugins running on once system, but it works.

I was able to get Flash to work on Chromium by downloading the 32-bit Flash .tar.gz file and then moving the 32-bit libflashplayer.so from the desktop (where I originally saved it) by typing

sudo mv Desktop/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/Just start/restart Chromium and viola!

Oh, and make sure that you start Chromium with --enable-plugins.

akshunj
July 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
The newest build doesn't require any moving or copying of plugins. It will detect and load them from Firefox's plugin directories. My Chromium plugin directory is empty, but all plugins are loaded including Flash, Java, Gecko Media Player, etc.

Vrekk
July 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Mine wont start at all with todays update. this is what i get from the terminal

brett@brett-desktop:~$ chromium-browser
exec: 87: -a: not found

themusicalduck
July 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM

I got this too. Was excited to try out flash as well.

darco
July 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM

same here...just navigate to usr/lib and start chromium from there

darco

darco
July 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
The newest build doesn't require any moving or copying of plugins. It will detect and load them from Firefox's plugin directories. My Chromium plugin directory is empty, but all plugins are loaded including Flash, Java, Gecko Media Player, etc.

thats not good if you have a x64 bit system...arrgh

darco

martini1179
July 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I got this too. Was excited to try out flash as well.

The latest Chromium daily alpha works, after the previous one failed to load.

sertse
July 25th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Off topic, but is it the case that removing a item from speed dial (clicking the "x") means it'll never ever appear on it again. Is it a feature?

I know you can Undo it at the time, but if you didn't undo it then, it appears there is no way of making the item appear on speed dial again..

Ric_NYC
July 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
A little off-topic.:

Install the latest Chromium version!!!
The fonts have been fixed... Now they look perfect.

Running flash+good looking fonts... :D

I didn't find any bugs yet... Maybe it is ready to be the default browser after those improvements.

castrojo
July 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Here's a tip from fta:

In /etc/chromium-browser/default you can add flags so that you don't have to go change your launchers and stuff:

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--enable-plugins"

is what I put in mine.

Ric_NYC
July 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Here's a tip from fta:

In /etc/chromium-browser/default you can add flags so that you don't have to go change your launchers and stuff:

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--enable-plugins"

is what I put in mine.

Thanks!

bluebyt
July 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I like it but it doesn't work well at Deviantart
http://www.deviantart.com/

Vrekk
July 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I like it but it doesn't work well at Deviantart
http://www.deviantart.com/

works fine for me. What dosen't work are ftps

martini1179
July 26th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I didn't find any bugs yet... Maybe it is ready to be the default browser after those improvements.

Sounds like someone hasn't tried tearing tabs away into a separate window and dragging them back. Or logging into Gmail ;)

Giant Speck
July 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM
The fonts do look nice. They're not perfect, but they look a lot better than they used to.

Also, Pandora still won't load. And I wish Java would work.

Jay_Bee
July 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It's lightning fast! And it's almost ready :)

gnomeuser
July 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
It's lightning fast! And it's almost ready :)

I don't know about everyone else, but I have switched fulltime to Chrome (using the official debs not the ppa, just because) and on my EeePC 1002HA it is so much more pleasant both in it's interface which is more elegant, slim and to me enjoyable. Additionally it is much faster than what is currently presented by Firefox in pretty much every respect.

I'm not looking back, this is the future.

darco
July 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I am a big fan too!....cpu usage a little high tho..flash still works with an x64 OS...
Have you tried Opera 10 beta? Really really nice...I havent used FF in a while now...

darco

itreius
July 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Not exactly flash related, but this is the last updated Chrome thread, so here goes

3.0.196.0 changelog contains the following line

Google Chrome now respects the system font hinting/antialiasing setting.

/cheer

Edit: Hm, I see some people were already commenting on fonts a couple of days ago... Guess I'm late.

Giant Speck
August 2nd, 2009, 05:07 AM
HELL YEAH!

Pandora finally works on Chromium!

Now if only Java worked...

sertse
August 2nd, 2009, 05:21 AM
I've since filed a report for my issue. (Yea, I know it's offtopic, but this is only currently active Chromium topic right now)

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=18214

Surely I'm not the only one who's OCD about these things? ;)

Giant Speck
August 2nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I've since filed a report for my issue. (Yea, I know it's offtopic, but this is only currently active Chromium topic right now)

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=18214

Surely I'm not the only one who's OCD about these things? ;)

It's understandable. It would be like me accidentally deleting the wrong person from my Facebook friends list and then not being given an option to re-add them as a friend.

xArv3nx
August 2nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I have switched fulltime to Chrome (using the official debs not the ppa, just because) and on my EeePC 1002HA it is so much more pleasant both in it's interface which is more elegant, slim and to me enjoyable. Additionally it is much faster than what is currently presented by Firefox in pretty much every respect.

I'm not looking back, this is the future.
I'm with you, buddy. I just switched full time to Chromium since all I need is flash.

we'll see how long it lasts :)

wersdaluv
August 4th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Mine's weird. I made a correct flashplugin-alternative.so link. It worked without that, btw. I just had to "--enable-plugins".

Now, I have the right firefox flashplugin-alternative.so link and the "--enable-plugins" flag. Flash videos play without sound. Any idea?

Tulsapoke
August 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I have a similar issue, zero sound at all on Chromium. Flash seems to work but like everything else on Chromium it is also silent. If the get everything working the thing is so fast that I could easily see using it as my daily browser.

darco
August 10th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Are you on x64 OS?....If so, you need to d/l the x32 flashplayer and install it into the chromium/plugin folder and nowhere else. Delete any links found in that folder. If you are x32 OS, update to the latest Flashplayer 10 after removing the previous flash.

darco