PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu Ibook G3

rjcalifornia
July 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I have dual boot OSX and Kubuntu.

How can I erase the Kubuntu partition so I can install Ubuntu. (Without harming the OSX partition)

frenkel
July 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Just start the installer and select the Kubuntu partition as the one to install to...

rjcalifornia
July 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
really? Hey! Thanks! Quick question, sorry haha

What is the name of the Kubuntu partition and how can I transfer the files I have in that partition to my MacOSX partition?

ppcjauntyuser
July 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
really? Hey! Thanks! Quick question, sorry haha

What is the name of the Kubuntu partition and how can I transfer the files I have in that partition to my MacOSX partition?

Launch Ubuntu 9.04 LIVE CD from your CD-Rom, click Install and soon it will take you to the partition page where it shows how many partitions you have and asks you where to proceed with the install.

I have tried both the 8.04 heron (older release more stable) and 9.04 jaunty on my G3 in the past week, ultimately, the 9.04 works much faster on this 9 year old mac with 280mb ram. However, after installation, you do have to delete a lot of program packages that you DON'T need and in the System>Preferences>Startup. I also modified the swap file size to a minimum so the computer will run faster. :guitar:
The G3 is still an old platform but with some tweaking it can be made useful again as an internet surfing and e-mail terminal. Good luck!

igor_av
July 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I have tried both the 8.04 heron (older release more stable) and 9.04 jaunty on my G3 in the past week, ultimately, the 9.04 works much faster on this 9 year old mac with 280mb ram. However, after installation, you do have to delete a lot of program packages that you DON'T need and in the System>Preferences>Startup. I also modified the swap file size to a minimum so the computer will run faster. :guitar:
The G3 is still an old platform but with some tweaking it can be made useful again as an internet surfing and e-mail terminal. Good luck!

Hi. Have you managed to enable 3D acceleration? I have a G3 iBook with a Radeon 7500, and 3D acceleration is broken on Jaunty. It doesn't work with the stock kernel, and if I install older or newer kernels, I get 3D acceleration, but also glitches in Gnome and XFCE...