PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] down-grade?

Antiqua amans
July 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hello,
I (noobnoobnoobooob) upgraded from from hardy to jaunty. Looks fine, but my computer seems too old to handle this version, it got terribly slow. So, I would like to get back to hardy without loosing all my stuff. Any suggestions ???

oldos2er
July 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Backup data you want to keep, and install Hardy.

agathian
July 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
What exactly is the "stuff" you are referring to? data?

Bucky Ball
July 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yep, I reckon that is what oldos2er means; backup anything you want to keep (read: your personal data) in case you mess up your partitioning, and reinstall. Downgrading is not really an option. Download the latest Hardy and reinstall. (Or use the version of 8.04 that was working last.) 8.04 is over a year old so it is going to be more stable. Jaunty seems to have its quirks for now (more than Hardy that is!).

:)

presence1960
July 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM
why don't you back up and do a clean install of 9.04. A lot of people on here have had problems with the upgrade process to Jaunty. This is not to say there are no successes, but if you will peruse back thru the forum from now back till 9.04 released there are a lot of threads complaining about I upgraded to jaunty and now this...

If you ran 8.04 fine you should be able to run 9.04, unless you have one of those darn ATI vid cards that have had their support terminated.

You don't have to take my word for it, it is in black & white- investigate our forum and see all the threads complaining about the upgrade to jaunty.

JohnLau
July 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM
I suppose the only way to 'Downgrade' is to format your partition and install hardy :p

zvacet
July 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
@ Antiqua amans

If you donīt already have separate home partition make one. (http://www.ivankuznetsov.com/2008/04/moving-home-to-its-own-partition.html)After that reinstall Hardy on top of your root partition.Do not format home partition.

Antiqua amans
July 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks everybody, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I guess an external hard-drive is a good start. What I didn't really get, is: does 9.04 not ask more from my comp than 8.04? I mean, should my old pentium 4 IBM still be able to run it smoothly?

zvacet
July 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I think you will find answer here. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements)