PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to display these Chinese characters ?

Physicist
July 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Click an arbitrary character on the left part of the webpage, then many characters get shown on the right side, many of which don't display well:

http://zi.guoxue.com/

What should I do to display them correctly ?

Zorael
July 9th, 2009, 01:53 AM
For CJK characters you need an awesome unicode font to get good bitmap coverage. The Kochi Gothic/Mincho and Sazanami Gothic/Mincho fonts in the repository sort of work well enough with Japanese kanji, but to work well with Chinese you probably need something beefier.

If you have a copy of Windows where these characters display properly, perhaps you could copy the font it uses to render them and import it to your *ubuntu installation? Then you'd need to set up your ~/.fonts.conf to use that font as a fallback when your standard "non-unicode" fonts (DejaVu, Times, whatnot) lack any given character. There should be a thread or two about this here somewhere.

NathanaelCulver
July 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I will presume you're using Firefox as your web browser.

In the top menu line click on (V)iew, then Character Encoding (or just type Alt-VC) and make sure Unicode (UTF-8) is selected. There are several different encoding schemes for Chinese -- Big5 is generally used in China (and Hong Kong?), GB32 is Taiwan. My written Chinese isn't too hot, but the page displays correctly for me in Firefox with Unicode selected, and it appears to be traditional Chinese.

Nathanael Culver

NathanaelCulver
July 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Correction - it appears to be simplified Chinese.