PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Merging /boot with /

Intrepid Ibex
July 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I just have decided to merge my '/boot' with '/' because I don't want to have separate partitions of them both.

So how to do this?

Easy way to get your post counter up and running.

dstew
July 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know if there is an automatic way to do this, but here is how I would do it.

Create a new mount point, like /media/old_boot. Unmount the /boot partition from its /boot mount point, and mount the /boot partition to the new mountpoint.
sudo mkdir /media/old_boot
sudo umount /dev/sda1
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/old_bootThis of course assumes your /boot parition is /dev/sda1.

Copy the contents of the /boot partition to the /boot directory in your root file system partition (the directory should already be there, because it served as the mount point for the /boot partition):
sudo cp -r /media/old_boot/ /boot/

That should put all the files, including the kernel and the /boot/grub directory in there.

Next, you will need to re-install grub in order to boot. The old grub was installed to get its stage2 from the /boot partition. But before you do, you need to edit the menu.lst file so that the kernel lines will be correct. If you used a /boot partition, your kernel files will be named /vmlinuz-2.6.*****, but if you use the kernels in the /boot directory on the root file system, they need to be renamed /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.***** etc. Same for the initrd files. Also, the grub root will need to be changed, since it referred before to the /boot partition, and now it will be using the / partition. I think the roots for the kernel lines will be the same, since they refer to the root file system partition. You might also have to edit the /etc/fstab file, if there is a line in there which mounts the /boot partition. Just remove the line.

Once you edit the menu.lst file, you can shut down, boot a live CD and re-install grub (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351as:), with the root now referring to the root file system. I think the grub command find /boot/grub/stage1 will return the proper root, as long as you have copied the contents of the /boot partition into the /boot directory. If it boots after you re-install grub, and you are sure it is using the /boot directory, rather than the /boot partition, you can delete the /boot partition, and expand the / partition to take over the unallocated space.

You can probably guess that if this is wrong (I have not tried it personally) or if you make a mistake, you will end up with an un-bootable system. It is probably wise to look at other posts, and google around a bit before acting.

Intrepid Ibex
July 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Well you can revert the changes any time. But yeah, I did a little different (same idea) and that worked -b... so:

# first copied the contents of boot to a temporary dir
mkdir /tmp/boot
cp /boot /tmp/boot -r

# umounted the boot partition
umount /boot

# moved the contents back into the boot directory
mv /tmp/boot/* /boot/

# and finally removed the line from fstab that mounts the boot partitionI then reconfigured menu.lst.:

Old menu.lst:

title Arch Linux
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e289f40b-c778-4583-8bae-1f0bd769b311 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

title Arch Linux Fallback
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e289f40b-c778-4583-8bae-1f0bd769b311 ro
initrd /kernel26-fallback.imgNew menu.lst:

title Arch Linux
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e289f40b-c778-4583-8bae-1f0bd769b311 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

title Arch Linux Fallback
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e289f40b-c778-4583-8bae-1f0bd769b311 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img