PDA

View Full Version : Pandora not entirely free anymore...

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I came home from work this morning to be graced with this wonderful e-mail from Tim Westergren, founder of Pandora Online Radio:

Hi, it’s Tim -

I hope this email finds you enjoying a great summer Pandora soundtrack.

I’m writing with some important news. Please forgive the lengthy email; it requires some explaining.

First, I want to let you know that we’ve reached a resolution to the calamitous Internet radio royalty ruling of 2007. After more than two precarious years, we are finally on safe ground with a long-term agreement for survivable royalty rates – thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our listeners who voiced an absolute avalanche of support for us on Capitol Hill. We are deeply thankful.

While we did the best we could to lower the rates, we are going to have to make an adjustment that will affect about 10% of our users who are our heaviest listeners. Specifically, we are going to begin limiting listening to 40 hours per month on the web. Because we have to pay royalty fees per song and per listener, it makes very heavy listeners hard to support on advertising alone. Most listeners will never hit this cap, but it seems that you might.

We hate the idea of capping anyone's usage, so we've been working to devise an alternative for listeners like you. We've come up with two solutions and we hope that one of them will work for you:

Your first option is to continue listening just as you have been and, if and when you reach the 40 hour limit in a given month, to pay just $0.99 for unlimited listening for the rest of that month. This isn't a subscription. You can pay by credit card and your card will be charged for just that one month. You'll be able to keep listening as much as you'd like for the remainder of the month. We hope this is relatively painless and affordable - the same price as a single song download.

Your second option is to upgrade to our premium version called Pandora One. Pandora One costs $36 per year. In addition to unlimited monthly listening and no advertising, Pandora One offers very high quality 192 Kbps streams, an elegant desktop application that eliminates the need for a browser, personalized skins for the Pandora player, and a number of other features: http://www.pandora.com/pandora_one. (http://broadcaster.pandora.com/t?r=927&c=901377&l=38138&ctl=174B7C1:13DB5F7ED450414C0C604F3C6AAF56D0050542 759970026E&)

If neither of these options works for you, I hope you'll keep listening to the free version - 40 hours each month will go a long way, especially if you're really careful about hitting pause when you’re not listening. We’ll be sure to let you know if you start getting close to the limit, and we’ve created a counter you can access to see how many hours you’ve already used each month.

We’ll be implementing this change starting this month (July), I’d welcome your feedback and suggestions. The combination of our usage patterns and the "per song per listener" royalty cost creates a financial reality that we can't ignore...but we very much want you to continue listening for years to come.
Please don't hesitate to email me back with your thoughts.
Sincerely,

http://www.pandora.com/static/images/email/tim_signature.jpg Tim
Founder

This is a one-time account message.

Does anyone else listen to Pandora so much that they received this e-mail, too?

I have no problem paying 99 cents per month if I go over a certain limit, but damn, this e-mail really reminded me of how much I listen to Pandora...

The Toxic Mite
July 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I came home from work this morning to be graced with this wonderful e-mail from Tim Westergren, founder of Pandora Online Radio:

Does anyone else listen to Pandora so much that they received this e-mail, too?

I have no problem paying 99 cents per month if I go over a certain limit, but damn, this e-mail really reminded me of how much I listen to Pandora...

I don't listen to Pandora (I use Spotify), but that letter sounded pretty damning.

:-k

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I don't listen to Pandora (I use Spotify), but that letter sounded pretty damning.

:-k

To be completely honest, I'm really surprised Pandora has stayed free this long. I would have been happy paying for it from the start. That's how much I like it. :)

However, the e-mail doesn't really treat the most active users like the most valued users. :/

Dragonbite
July 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I got the letter too. Kinda sucks because I listen to it at work so there goes 40 hours in the first week!

I like Pandora. I set my Ad Blocker plus to not block ads on the Pandora site in case that causes them an issue. I just ignore them but at least they are submitted to my browser.

Do you know if their Pandora One desktop application works in Linux at all (under Wine maybe)? It looks like it is Adobe Air which I thought there was a version for Linux on the Adobe site.

keiichidono
July 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I got that email too, I don't mind paying to use Pandora One. Might even see if I can get Adobe Air to work with it on Ubuntu. A simple $36 a year is quite a steal.

Lux Perpetua
July 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I've only listened to it for a couple hours, but I was impressed by its ability to find music that I liked.

40 hours a month...that's not even 2 hours a day. But then $0.99 per month is pretty small. Even $36 a year, considering what people pay for cable TV, is pretty low.

Dragonbite
July 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
$3 per month is not bad at all.
I came to Pandora from Yahoo!'s Launchpad which was charging even more, required Internet Explorer and was drifting further and further away from the songs I wanted because of a or some song being in multiple genre.

Giant Speck
July 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Do you know if their Pandora One desktop application works in Linux at all (under Wine maybe)? It looks like it is Adobe Air which I thought there was a version for Linux on the Adobe site.

As far as I know, the Pandora One application is an Adobe Air application, which should work in both Windows and Linux.

GMachine_24
July 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I've been a paying ($36 a year) member of Pandora for years. I was always surprised when I went to their site and they advertised free access to their music. $3 a month is cheap and supports a worthy site/service.

LowSky
June 23rd, 2011, 06:57 AM
I think its totally free now though right?

Nope still has the 40 hour limit per user, see this:

Is Pandora free?

Back to the FAQ main page

Yes.

Registering for Pandora will provide you with a free, advertising-supported Pandora account.
You are never required to pay anything to use Pandora.

However, free Pandora accounts will only play 40 hours of music for free per month. Only a small percentage of Pandora listeners ever reach this limit. However, if you do reach the 40-hour limit and the music stops playing on your computer, you have two reasonably-priced options to continue listening.

You can also choose to pay nothing instead, in which case you will receive another free 40 listening hours on the first day of the next calendar month.

Each month in which you hit this 40-hour limit, you'll have the same choice, month in and month out. We never bill you after the fact, nor do we charge you automatically, or anything sneaky like that. If you're giving us money, you'll know it-- each payment will be up-front and initiated on your end via credit card.

» If you don't yet have your own Pandora account, please click here for instructions on how to register for Pandora.

» For an explanation of why the 40-hour limit is necessary, please click here.

» For more information about paid listening options on Pandora, please click here.

Elfy
June 23rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
closed old thread