PDA

View Full Version : How geeks control their computer???

renbla
July 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
What i want to know is: do geeks do every thing by typing in the terminal????, can they remember every single little detail about every command??? Some stuffs can be done also by typing in terminal or in GUI, so what is the better way to go??? Doing in GUI is easier and less headache, but doing in terminal seems like more professional and help building the commands in our heads. An example is installing a software: you can compile from source or you can install from deb file, alot of ppl say just use deb file, but using them in my opinion is just like in windows, what's the diffrent?? Just some clicks and then you issue the program from the menu and that's it, no more no less??? So if i want to be very good in linux, should i always steak with CLI???. I'm totally in love with the typing thing but sometime it just drives me crazy(bcoz i'm a newbie) :neutral:. So how should i make my way to a geekrank??? (srr for the bad English):razz:

Bart_D
July 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
...I'm totally in love with the typing.....

Hehe.....:lolflag::lolflag:

I would prefer mouse clicks.

Better wait for a 100% geek to post.

gletob
July 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ok where you said the GUI is easier let's look:

GUI:
1. System>Admin>Synaptic
2. Reload packages
3. search for sunbird
4. right click hit install
5. wait and hit close.

or

CLI (terminal)
1. open terminal
2. type sudo apt-get update
3 type sudo apt-get install sunbird

Which is easier?

Simian Man
July 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
What i want to know is: do geeks do every thing by typing in the terminal????, can they remember every single little detail about every command???
I remember the commands that I use often along with the options and parameters that I use most often of those commands. For the stuff you can't remember, just use man pages or the --help option.

Don't try memorizing commands, you will remember stuff as you use it. Also many commands share the same structure, so you can often make intelligent guesses about ones you haven't seen before.

Some stuffs can be done also by typing in terminal or in GUI, so what is the better way to go???

I usually use the terminal for things I do a lot (or plan on doing a lot), and use the GUI for things that are one-time setup.

MaxIBoy
July 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I just use whatever's faster, as does anyone who happens to be proficient in both ways of doing things. If a certain task is faster from the CLI, that's how I'll do it. If a certain task is faster using a GUI, that's how I'll do it. If my X server is broken, and I'm stuck in a console-only environment, I'll still be able to get most things done. (Including listening to music and watching movies-- VLC can display on the framebuffer.)

Also, no-one remembers every detail of every command. I still have to reread man pages all the time. But I have a memorized subset of all the commands, and that's enough to get me through all my most-common tasks.

nmccrina
July 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Also, using the package-manager (i.e. .deb files) is better 99.99% of the time for your everyday system. If you enjoy compiling from source, check out Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/). But that is mostly for learning and fun; it would be extremely difficult or even impossible to keep a system like Ubuntu going without using a package manager. Even geeks aren't that masochistic.

ArtF10
July 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
CLI (terminal)
1. open terminal

Which is easier?

I don;'t think he;s talking about something that simple. He probably means command line installation and building up from there...which is a LOT more work, in terms of typing.

MaxIBoy
July 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Also, using the package-manager is better 99.99% of the time for your everyday system. If you enjoy compiling from source, check out Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/). But that is mostly for learning and fun; it would be extremely difficult or even impossible to keep a system like Ubuntu going without using a package manager. Even geeks aren't that masochistic.
+1

Even the "all-compiled" systems like Slackware and Gentoo use package management on the source code (although they don't always have dependency checking.)

b@sh_n3rd
July 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
As a programmer, I like the CLI but then it's also much faster than the GUI on my PC which is why I prefer to use it over the GUI. As many might think it's not that limited either, In fact I listen to songs, chat and browse the web in CLI :D The thing is, the more you use certain commands in a console, those commands just stick and as a DOS user there is slight resemblance of the linux shell's command-input-structure to DOS, which just made it easier for me :D. To be a Linux geek, knowing about the console wouldn't be bad, but that's not the only thing to be a "Geek" on linux about, it depends, you can talk about kernels, drivers, building source tarballs, window managers, GRUB, partitions, etc. Now that drives my so-called "normal" friends nuts :D...

Paqman
July 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM

GUI:
1. System>Admin>Synaptic
2. Reload packages
3. search for sunbird
5. wait and hit close.

or

CLI (terminal)
1. open terminal

Which is easier?

Just because one task is easier in either the GUI or CLI doesn't mean they all are. Somethings are quicker CLI, some are quicker GUI. And some things can ONLY be done in one or the other.

nothingspecial
July 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
It`s not necessarily commands that are faster than guis rather typing that`s faster than clicking.. I use the command line a lot but I also use gnome-do and keyboard shortcuts to control guis. I touch the mouse as little as possible.

AllRadioisDead
July 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
It`s not necessarily commands that are faster than guis rather typing that`s faster than clicking.. I use the command line a lot but I also use gnome-do and keyboard shortcuts to control guis. I touch the mouse as little as possible.

Sounds like you should try a tiling window manager!

Ratscallion
July 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
To be honest, I'm exactly the same! +1

swiggy
July 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
i also want to be able to be a command line genius......they just seem soo cool....well from a newbie linux pro wannabe stand point löl

Firestem4
July 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I just use whatever's faster, as does anyone who happens to be proficient in both ways of doing things. If a certain task is faster from the CLI, that's how I'll do it. If a certain task is faster using a GUI, that's how I'll do it. If my X server is broken, and I'm stuck in a console-only environment, I'll still be able to get most things done. (Including listening to music and watching movies-- VLC can display on the framebuffer.)

Download Lynx and you can web browser from the CLI too =)

linuxguymarshall
July 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM
It just grows on you. I started out hating the CLI and after using it every now and then it just grew on me. You don't just sit down and learn the commands you just learn one here and one there.

JordyD
July 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Or you can use X11 as a window manager.

wojox
July 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think it's good to know the terminal. What happens when the GUI breaks?
And you don't need Lynx to surf CLI. w3m comes pre-installed.

CSandman
July 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I really just use whatever seems to be the most efficient at the time. I find that I have some moments (like after a few beers) where I can't exactly remember how to do something via CLI so I'll click my way through the gui rather than spending time trying to figure out something I'll remember when I sober up (or wake up if its early in the morning).

It sure is pretty cool to have the terminal mastered but it's even cooler to just always be able to accomplish whatever you need to do.

lisati
July 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I really just use whatever seems to be the most efficient at the time. I find that I have some moments (like after a few beers) where I can't exactly remember how to do something via CLI so I'll click my way through the gui rather than spending time trying to figure out something I'll remember when I sober up (or wake up if its early in the morning).

It sure is pretty cool to have the terminal mastered but it's even cooler to just always be able to accomplish whatever you need to do.
I agree: use the tool that lets you get the job done! There was a time, many years ago, when I used mainly CLI (MS-DOS) and didn't understand what the fuss was about with using a GUI. These days I don't mind using either.

Although I've been accused of being a geek, I wouldn't go so far as to describe myself as one: much of what I've learned over the years has come from taking the time to read the instructions that comes with software.

cariboo
July 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I'll admit I'm lazy. I use the tools that are at hand. It's a lot easier to click the mouse a few time to accomplish a task than it is to open a terminal and type a couple of lines of commands. That being said my server doesn't have a gui, so everything has to be done from the command line. I'm equally comfoprtable using a gui or the command line.

blur xc
July 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM

GUI:
1. System>Admin>Synaptic
2. Reload packages
3. search for sunbird
5. wait and hit close.

or

CLI (terminal)
1. open terminal

Which is easier?

that only works if you know the exact name of the package you want to install. If you don't, you can search add/remove programs or synaptic a lot easier and just browse for the program you want- cick- install.

Now, that being said, I'm reading book after book on the linux command line. I was a DOS command line power user back in high school, NEVER fell in love w/ windows since it took over the OS world (I felt it was bloated from in conception, and useless on my trusty 286/12 at the time), and I'm happy to have rediscovered the command line in Linux. I just don't remember anything anymore, and it seems the linux command line is more akin to a programming language than a simple list of disk/file management commands that I can remember from my DOS days. Back then the longest command line, uh, command, that I can remember typing regularly was pkzip and pkunzip/ password protecting archives and splitting large zips into, yup, you guessed it, 1.4mb chunks.

BM

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I beat mine, tell it it's ugly, and that it can't do any better than me.

renbla
July 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Also, no-one remembers every detail of every command. I still have to reread man pages all the time. But I have a memorized subset of all the commands, and that's enough to get me through all my most-common tasks.Ooohh, that releases me from keep thinking that i'm such a stupid person for reading a man over and over.... :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gletob http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7582031#post7582031)
CLI (terminal)
1. open terminal

Which is easier?

I don;'t think he;s talking about something that simple. He probably means command line installation and building up from there...which is a LOT more work, in terms of typing.
Hehe, you got me brother.:lolflag:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccrina http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7582080#post7582080)
Also, using the package-manager is better 99.99% of the time for your everyday system. If you enjoy compiling from source, check out Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/). But that is mostly for learning and fun; it would be extremely difficult or even impossible to keep a system like Ubuntu going without using a package manager. Even geeks aren't that masochistic.

+1

Even the "all-compiled" systems like Slackware and Gentoo use package management on the source code (although they don't always have dependency checking.)Thanks man, now i know how important the GUI or specifically the package manager is ^^!, no more underestimate ;)

I touch the mouse as little as possible.That's my goal!! :p

t just grows on you. I started out hating the CLI and after using it every now and then it just grew on me. You don't just sit down and learn the commands you just learn one here and one there.thnks, sounds like a plan for me :D

I beat mine, tell it it's ugly, and that it can't do any better than me.
I'm srr but i don't understand

And thanks all you guys for great replies and great tips :D

chris200x9
July 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM

download links2 and never enter gui frame buffer surfing FTW!

swoll1980
July 9th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I'm srr but i don't understand

That's how I control my computer.

RiceMonster
July 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
That's how I control my computer.

You know, computers have feelings too.

Dougie187
July 9th, 2009, 02:14 AM
that only works if you know the exact name of the package you want to install. If you don't, you can search add/remove programs or synaptic a lot easier and just browse for the program you want- cick- install.

Personally I find it easier to search for packages in a command line.

apt-cache search package
It seems to give better results the Synaptic's quick search, and it's significantly faster. How ever both have their advantages. If synaptic, you can search for anything, even if you have absolutely no idea as to the package name, but in apt-cache you have to have some idea of what you are searching for.

I as well use what gets the job done. Sometimes thats a gui, sometimes its a command line. Typically however, if there is a cli version I find it's quicker to use that, especially since I can type faster than I can click. Also, sometimes the terminal is more responsive than a gui. But either way, I agree with what has been said before, just learn to get the job done. And know why you do the things you do. I think if you really want to be labeled a geek, be able to do things, and say why you are doing them.

MaxIBoy
July 9th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Download Lynx and you can web browser from the CLI too =)I actually prefer Links, because it has a cleaner design and it renders things more nicely. But Elinks is even better than that-- it's basically standard Links with the addition of tabbed browsing.

Now if someone would figure out how to embed a youtube video in Elinks using the framebuffer...

JillSwift
July 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM
You know, computers have feelings too.
That's why swoll1980's technique works :twisted:

swoll1980
July 9th, 2009, 04:41 AM
That's why swoll1980's technique works :twisted:

Exactly.

MikeTheC
July 9th, 2009, 05:38 AM
http://www.lateott.com/images/control_key.jpg

What else? :p

swoll1980
July 9th, 2009, 05:41 AM
What else? :p

That button is a gigantic lie.

MikeTheC
July 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM
[Yes, I know that *technically* this isn't the right still image. Sorry.]

http://blog.lodewijkvdb.com/img/yoda_luke.jpg

"Control! Control! You must learn control!"

renbla
July 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM
@MikeTheC: :lol: you are so funny, maybe i'll set my keyboardshortcut to all begin with ctrl :D:lolflag:

Cephi
July 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM

GUI:
1. System>Admin>Synaptic
2. Reload packages
3. search for sunbird
5. wait and hit close.

or

CLI (terminal)
1. open terminal

Which is easier?

The GUI version. The CLI version is more efficient, which is often confused with being easier.

I say the GUI is easier because someone using it for the first time could figure out that stuff. No man reading, no googling for info, etc. You can't slog your way through to 'sudo apt-get install sunbird' the way you can slog your way through a GUI interface.

CLI takes effort and time and practice to learn. Once you know it well, it is more efficient. That's why I like it.

renbla
July 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
The GUI version. The CLI version is more efficient, which is often confused with being easier.

I say the GUI is easier because someone using it for the first time could figure out that stuff. No man reading, no googling for info, etc. You can't slog your way through to 'sudo apt-get install sunbird' the way you can slog your way through a GUI interface.

CLI takes effort and time and practice to learn. Once you know it well, it is more efficient. That's why I like it.

I'm starting to feel the same way :-)