PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] noob w/ linux requesting oppinion

blahguy
July 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hello everybody, I am pretty much a noob with Linux (in its entirety) and I am going to switch to Linux regardless when i get back in the states but I was wanting some opinions from the source, the community that has experience with it. I am a gamer, and I like to play good FPS top of the line exc exc... What is my best course of action starting from the ground up? When I get back to the states I am building a new desktop and what is some of the best hardware that works good with Ubuntu? I am personally an AMD fan (I cant pass up price vs performance) and I would like to get a couple of HD 4870 with xfire. Would my best bet be to just duel boot w/ windows or go completely with Ubuntu? I was also wondering where is the best place to start to start learning to program with the Linux kernel so I can write some of my own programs. Like I said I am completely noob with Linux in its entirety and I am trying to get a good grasp on all of this as soon as possible. Thank you in advance with any suggestion!

presence1960
July 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
If you are a hard core gamer you had better dual boot. That's the short & sweet of it. Wine is not a good option in my opinion.

cph05a
July 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
If you are a hard core gamer you had better dual boot. That's the short & sweet of it. Wine is not a good option in my opinion.

I agree. Though many games "work" with wine, if you're a hard core gamer, just set aside part of your hard drive for windows. You'll save yourself a headache. Hard drive space is cheap these days anyway.

If you must go 100% linux and you're a gamer, you should also look into Crossover Games. It's easier than wine and has better support. The down side is you have to pay for it where wine is free.

quickdraw
July 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Dual boot. Sadly the world of Linux is not friendly for us gamers. I basically gave up Pc gaming because I got too tired of dealing with Windows in general. That and my desktop was getting too old to handle most new games.

But I have my PS3 to keep me gaming and happy.

And to add to that, Wine and Cedega are still buggy for most Windows games. I'd check out out http://www.winehq.org for a list of games and known bugs.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
if you are a hard core gamer you had better dual boot. That's the short & sweet of it. Wine is not a good option in my opinion.

+1