PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install firefox 3.5 in jaunty?

H.K.Murmu
July 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
How to install/upgrade firefox 3.0 to 3.5

I am now running firefox3.0 but newer version 3.5 is avilable.I have downloaded it and installed. But firefox is not upgraded. I have also checked in repository but 3.5 version is not available in repository.

So how can I upgrade firefox.
Please help me

masux594
July 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Just search in the forum, don't open a new thread when there is no need!

Sysc, A

tacantara
July 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I just read a thread on Firefox 3.5 now appearing in the repos. It installs as Shiretoko (the "working title" for FF 3.5) and shows up as such in your programs menu. Sorry I don't have a link to that thread, but you should be able to search for it easily enough. Good luck :)

starcraft.man
July 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Firefox is in the repositories, the package is named simply firefox-3.5. It installs to the internet section of applications, it will be named shiretoko, but it is firefox 3.5. Shiretoko was the code name for development.

If you need help installing, see my signature.

Note: Please search in future, lots of these...

Brandon Williams
July 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5

The released version is in the standard repos for those with universe enabled. It still calls itself shiretoko, but that's just so that it will install alongside firefox-3.0 more easily.

t0p
July 8th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Note: Please search in future, lots of these...

To be fair to the OP, this site's search function is crap. I recommend that people use google to search these forums. You can do this by adding to your search terms the following string:

site:ubuntuforums.org

If you add that to your search terms, google will produce results only from this site. So the OP could have used google and got these results (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=install+firefox+3.5+site%3Aubuntuforums.org&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=).

JohnLau
July 9th, 2009, 05:39 AM
You can follow my guide:
http://compustorm.no-ip.org/2009/07/howto-install-firefox-3-5-on-ubuntu-jaunty/
;)

asforme
July 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Okay, so this installs along side 3.0, is there any way to upgrade the firefox installation instead? Or at the very least, set 3.5 to be my default browser so links in IM open in 3.5 instead of 3.0. Going into preferences in 3.5 and click "check now" to check if it's default seems to do nothing.

H.K.Murmu
July 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
thanks for suggession

JohnLau
July 10th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Okay, so this installs along side 3.0, is there any way to upgrade the firefox installation instead? Or at the very least, set 3.5 to be my default browser so links in IM open in 3.5 instead of 3.0. Going into preferences in 3.5 and click "check now" to check if it's default seems to do nothing.

That's easy. You can set it in in System --> Preferences --> Preferred Applications
Then Click 'Custom' instead of firefox
After that, use

firefox-3.5 %s
for the command
This should work!
John