PDA

View Full Version : Question about purchased MP3s

LinuxFox
July 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I have a question about music I purchased. I recently bought some music from Amazon MP3, after I found out they're listed on the RIAA legal site list and are DRM-free. When I bought the songs, I didn't have access to my computer, so I bought them on another computer.

Is it ok to transfer the songs I legally bought to my computer? I don't want to break any laws or anything, I just want to enjoy music I bought. They are DRM-free which was one of the reasons why I chose the site.

Please answer my question, I'm still new to buying online music. Please no anti-RIAA or support indie music type comments, I just want an answer.

bekind2thenoob
July 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
From Amazon UK (emphasis mine)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/dmusic/help/faq.html/ref=amb_link_80900365_1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_r=0DHY45QX0BCW7G8WW772&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=465322913&pf_rd_i=77197031#listen

Manage Your Music Your Way
Once you've downloaded your music, you can use whichever media player application you prefer to manage it, such as iTunes or Windows Media Player. Learn more about managing your downloads.

MP3 Players Songs from Amazon MP3 can be played on any MP3-capable device, including iPods, Zunes, Zens, iPhones, RAZRs, BlackBerrys, and most media-enabled mobile phones. Our files are free of digital rights management (DRM) software, so you can burn your songs to CDs, play them on all your computers, and transfer them to all your devices. Songs are encoded at 256 kbps (learn more about MP3 bitrates), which means you get high audio quality at a manageable file size.

LinuxFox
July 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks, I just wanted to know if I'm in the clear. I did burn the music to data CD for myself. It's good to know there's nothing wrong with transferring them to my own computer.

Chronon
July 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Generally, making copies for personal use is legal. However, in the USA there's a special clause in the DMCA that makes circumventing any DRM for whatever reason illegal. All the more reason to avoid DRM like the plague here.

LinuxFox
July 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Generally, making copies for personal use is legal. However, in the USA there's a special clause in the DMCA that makes circumventing any DRM for whatever reason illegal. All the more reason to avoid DRM like the plague here.Thanks for your answer. DRM-free is one of the reason why I chose to buy from Amazon MP3, I like to be able to play music I bought on any device I own.

Chronon
July 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. :guitar:

I have also bought some tracks from the Amazon store and transfer them to my DAPs and/or laptop without worry.

saulgoode
July 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Generally, making copies for personal use is legal. However, in the USA there's a special clause in the DMCA that makes circumventing any DRM for whatever reason illegal.
The DMCA does not prohibit circumvention of DRM for copying if such copying is legal (covered in Section 1201).

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I would say who cares. You were born with a conscience You know what's wrong, or wright. If you paid for it, and your not giving it away to all your friends, does it matter what the agreement says?

LinuxFox
July 9th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I would say who cares. You were born with a conscience You know what's wrong, or wright. If you paid for it, and your not giving it away to all your friends, does it matter what the agreement says?Just the controversy over music online makes me a bit nervous. I just wanted to make sure since it was the first time I bought music at an online store.

Chronon
July 9th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Irrelevant comment removed.

swoll1980
July 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Irrelevant quote, to an irrelevant comment removed

Chronon
July 9th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I realized my previous comment didn't add anything here, so I removed it.

swoll1980
July 9th, 2009, 05:43 AM
:-\"

Firestem4
July 9th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Just the controversy over music online makes me a bit nervous. I just wanted to make sure since it was the first time I bought music at an online store.

Although the RIAA has said it will stop pursuing "NEW" cases of Copyright Infringement. The only way you could get in trouble is if you were to share your music on the internet and they caught you (which is highly unlikely).

But the point is feel free to do with the music as you wish. YOU Bought it, so it is yours and you can do whatever you want with it regardless of what smoke the RIAA tries to make you believe.

Gizenshya
July 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM
^^^ not quite. It is a lot more complicated than that.

I'm no lawyer, and, even if I were, giving legal advice online is illegal. So, I can only say call them and ask them. Or, get a lawyer.

And about the RIAA comment... read their story. Well, find it, then read it. I won't bother trying to condense it, as I'm sure they chose the language very carefully.

FWIW, asking for legal advice online is a very good way to get yourself in trouble. If you do something hey say, from what I've heard, you are still liable for your actions. They'll probably get in trouble as well, but it won't help you when you're being sued.

Montreal
July 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Just the controversy over music online makes me a bit nervous. I just wanted to make sure since it was the first time I bought music at an online store.

Controversy goes both ways.

A couple years ago after the demise of WinMX I signed up to Apple ITunes and spent nearly $200 in total. Anyhow, I downloaded many MP3's at high speeds-- impressive, almost anything I wanted, even music videos for a bit more. However, while I was on the airplane I managed to damage my hard drive beyond repair and I lost ALL RIGHTS to the Mp3's that I had already paid for and if I wanted them again I would have to repay... for all of 'em.

No thanks and I said ):P to Apple I Tunes and ):P Limewire and ):P to Bit Torrent

LinuxFox
July 9th, 2009, 07:26 AM
FWIW, asking for legal advice online is a very good way to get yourself in trouble. If you do something hey say, from what I've heard, you are still liable for your actions. They'll probably get in trouble as well, but it won't help you when you're being sued.I didn't even know that, if anything I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong with music I bought. Like I said before, it was a first time for me buying music as a download. I don't know any resources online to look at besides the RIAA's website, which is why I asked.