PDA

View Full Version : Can I link some of the Steam game files from Windows partition?

Melhisedek
July 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I have TF2 and Episode 1 and 2 and CS:Source installed but I've read somewhere that you could link (hold middle mouse button and carry over files from Windows partition to your wine C: folder) files from Windows install and that it would work.

I wouldn't link all the files but just the largest ones, common for all the games. Would that work? And how would updates work?

I just want to save some disk space if it is possible...

Thank you for your time!

Th3_uN1Qu3
July 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, it should work. From that point on all operations on the link will affect the original file. Thus, updates done under Wine will stay there when you reboot to Windows.

Melhisedek
July 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
It worked without a problem! Great :) Just saved me a lot of GB :P
Thanks mate :guitar:

cogadh
July 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Be very careful with doing things like that. Wine is not designed to work with an existing Windows installation and depending on the app, it can and will completely hose you Windows install. What you have done, if you did it in the way I expect you did, shouldn't be an issue, but that is not the case for everything.

Melhisedek
July 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Well this would be only for Steam based games as they have like 2 Gig big files. Won't link anything to Windows/system32 though ;)