PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Marketing

simon.gillespie
January 24th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Hi,

I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and have used it for 2 years now. I've worked in product development and marketing so like to create products and make an image for them.

I created a psuedo visual Ad campaign based on some ideas I had last night. I thought that Ubuntu suits an image of capability, helping others and geeting dirty when it needs to (compared with Macs analy clean image) and including everyone as a community. So I've based the campaign on 70s National Geographics, Lonely Planet travelling and a little hint of 2001.

I sort of worked out that the Art department does graphics for Ubuntu OS and that there is a project called spreadubuntu and another marketing department which is more about words than visual imaging. Eventually I read I could post in the gallery. Um I've tried that but it doesn't work and spreadubuntu doesn't seem to either. Perhaps its a bad day? I'd really like to post my ads before I forget and go onto something else.

Help :)

Simon.

phen
January 24th, 2006, 03:46 AM
hey simon!

i don't know about the ubuntu marketing efforts, but maybe this could be interesting for you, as it is about a large marketing campaign for linux as an alternative operating system... they want to broadcast over the radio, but also have a webpage... this page could be used to advertise for many distros together!

http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=74

quietglow
January 24th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Holy crap, this must be Linux group think or something. I've been seeing other threads of this around the web. I just spent the weekend designing what I'd try to push as an excellent "power user deafult Ubuntu box." I.e. I tried to make my target audience someone who wants to use an OSS system and software for serious productivity and maybe some design, but doesn't want to mess with installing/configuring/etc.

I too made an add--sort of a trifold as to why buy this box with this OS. Has the time come for us to put together a serious Ubuntu "public persona"?

bonzodog
January 30th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Simon - go here:
http://www.ubuntupeople.com/file/forums/
This is a community site dedicated to the marketing side of the ubuntu community