PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resume 9.04 Upgrade after Crash?

dedukes
July 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hi. My laptop's battery died (sigh, i forgot to plug it in) during an upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04. The screen goes blank after I log in. But when I run it on a 9.04 LiveCD it seems to work perfectly. I've backed up my home folder.

There's a terminal command for resuming upgrade, yes? Apt-get, I think? When I boot off the hard drive and go into the terminal I have no internet access, so I can't resume the upgrade in the terminal. Internet access is fine running off the LiveCD. Is there a way to resume upgrade while using the LiveCD?

I'd rather not have to do a clean install.

Thanks.

prshah
July 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hi. My laptop's battery died during an upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04. The screen goes blank after I log in.

There's a terminal command for resuming upgrade, yes?

I'd rather not have to do a clean install.

Hi I had a similar problem; see my post and solution (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4872499&postcount=1).

Summary:
dpkg --configure -a

Considering the magnitude of the disaster, I was sure that I'd have to reinstall, but there was no difficulty at all; hardy recovered nicely inspite of an interrupted upgrade.

Though this is for Hardy, it should work just as well for Jaunty.

dedukes
July 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
thanks, prshah! i hope you're right. i'll give it a try.

dedukes
July 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Okay, I ran "dpkg --configure -a" and that seems to have done the trick! phew, this marks the (apparent) end of several days of wrestling.

The only glitch is that I have to get an internet connection through ethernet connection. I can see all available wireless networks, but when prompted for the password to log onto my wireless network the "connect" button is dimmed (even after I enter the password). I'm guessing this is an unrelated issue and I'll trying searching for answers elsewhere.