PDA

View Full Version : Systems Admin Lessons in Massachusetts

leftyfb
July 8th, 2009, 04:49 AM
This has been some time in coming but today I can finally announce that the Ubuntu Massachusetts LoCo will be running an event every Wednesday 7pm-9pm at the South End Technology Center with the aim to teach budding new Ubuntu systems administrators how to best administrate an Ubuntu Server and Desktop network.

Event Link: http://www.ubuntu-massachusetts.com/events/4/

The lessons are free and are student driven, with teachers on hand to guide, answer questions and start off each section. Each student is expected to learn in their own time and pick up each section as they past the previous and prior requirements are existing Ubuntu Desktop experience and familiarity with computers. The lessons do not provide certification or any other official qualification, but will be heavily practical.

This will be in addition to the existing successful Learn Ubuntu Desktop sessions we do on Tuesday evenings but aimed at students who want to go further into the field of systems administration. Computer support and other queries will not be dealt with and people needing Ubuntu help should continue to come on Tuesdays.

The lessons will be both based on and feed into the fledgling Ubuntu Learning project, each lesson created will be based on the Systems Administration Topics to be documented in the wiki and then translated into a moodle course. This will hopefully spark other groups to be able to offer similar lessons once our courses build up.

Anyone interested of have any advice for our new event?

- doctormo -

p0st_n00bz
July 23rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
I would definitely be interested in this. I just moved back to the area to take a job, and got laid off 2 months later! I've been wanting to move from desktop support into sysadmin stuff, so this is exactly the type of thing I was looking for.