PDA

View Full Version : New to Pidgin and Ubuntu--please help?

xFlowx
July 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I'm a new user to PIdgin and Ubuntu. I've been using both for about a week, and I'm still trying to get used to the switch from Yahoo IM and Windows, and I had a question for Pidgin. Is there any way I can get rid of that little box that pops up showing the instant message I was just sent? It's highly annoying I don't think I'm going to need it. It gives me a headace and confuses me when I try to have a conversation with more than one person.

Any and all help is appriciated, thank you!

If it helps, I'm running on Ubuntu 9.04!

khc
July 8th, 2009, 06:25 AM
tools->plugins->Libnotify popups

either disable the plugin or disable some of the notifications

tacantara
July 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
@ xFlowx: Welcome to both Ubuntu and Pidgin. I can see where the popups can be a bit annoying, especially since they're so large to begin with. I keep them enabled, just in case I'm working on another virtual screen when a new message comes in. However, new messages make themselves known when the Pidgin button on the taskbar starts to glow and go bold. I hope khc's solution works for you. Good luck and enjoy :)

xFlowx
July 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
tools->plugins->Libnotify popups

either disable the plugin or disable some of the notifications

Thank you! That fixed it! Do you know if it'll tell me when people sign in still?

xFlowx
July 8th, 2009, 06:35 AM
@ xFlowx: Welcome to both Ubuntu and Pidgin. I can see where the popups can be a bit annoying, especially since they're so large to begin with. I keep them enabled, just in case I'm working on another virtual screen when a new message comes in. However, new messages make themselves known when the Pidgin button on the taskbar starts to glow and go bold. I hope khc's solution works for you. Good luck and enjoy :)

I can see how they're helpful, but I don't need them right now. Thank you! People who use Ubuntu are a thousand times more friendly and helpful than windows users! :KS