PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem in sound on Presario CQ61

-ICEBOX-
July 8th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Hi,

I hope there's anyone can help me regarding on my HP laptop Presario CQ61. I'm using ubuntu 9.04 my problem is there's a speaker icon but there's no sound even I adjust the volume in 100%. Anyone can help me.. I'm also newly user of ubuntu and I want to learn I hope there's someone can guide me or give me the command in terminal to update my sound driver.. Thank you in advance and I really appreciate it if you can help me with this matter.

Best Regards

drbongo
August 1st, 2009, 10:30 PM
ICEBOX - I had exactly the same problem! But I have just fixed it after several hours of pulling my hair out. I had tried everything I could think of, as well as lots of solutions other people had suggested, including installing the latest version if Alsa from source etc. Nothing worked, until I found these four lines on another forum. Simply paste them at the end of /etc/modules.d/alsa-base.conf and save it.

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

Restart the computer and you should get sound out of the speakers as well as the headphone socket.

drbongo

pauljdunn
August 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have a similar problem, I have just got a Compaq Presario CQ61-135TU purchased specifically to run Ubuntu Linux or similar I can load Ubuntu but no joy getting the sound card or wireless internet working or (Web cam or Data card these are not so important)can anyone help me please **get the right drivers to get the sound card or wireless internet working?**

pauljdunn
August 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Compaq Presario CQ61-135TU has the same issue with sound NOTHING THERE and internet does not recognize the wireless card :(

Joppe4899
August 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
My wireless card works after I used this command.

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty

Works like a charm now

falkTX
September 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
ICEBOX - I had exactly the same problem! But I have just fixed it after several hours of pulling my hair out. I had tried everything I could think of, as well as lots of solutions other people had suggested, including installing the latest version if Alsa from source etc. Nothing worked, until I found these four lines on another forum. Simply paste them at the end of /etc/modules.d/alsa-base.conf and save it.

Restart the computer and you should get sound out of the speakers as well as the headphone socket.

drbongo

Many thanks!
Worked perfectly for me!

fotonic
September 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM

drbongo

Many thanks Drbongo,
I had this problem: I got sound only through the headphones, but not through the speakers.
Don't know if this problem is realted to the installation of thenvidia beta driver version 185.19 for my videocard Nvidia Geforce g103 m.
After installing that driver I noticed that sound worked only through the headphones.
Then I followed your instructions and added the four lines to "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf", without success.
Then I followed this link http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...tu-jaunty-904/ (http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/05/09/upgrade-alsa-1020-on-ubuntu-jaunty-904/)
and upgraded my alsa version, still without success.
I pulled many times my hair out and wanted to give up.
Then I followed yuor instructions a second time, and ....
incredible...
it works!!!

Audio now comes out through the speakers too!
Now I'm trying to configure dual-head with rotation of the external screen. Any suggestions?

fotonic

farroos
September 5th, 2009, 06:19 AM

drbongo

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

There is a typo in this solution.

/etc/modules.d/alsa-base.conf

Thats wrong.
The correct place is

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

So basically upgrading to the latest alsa and adding the above four lines to the correct file will make the speakers work.

I've had a few rough hours until I found the typo, but many thanks to drbongo for helping us Linux newbies with our problems.

abusamra
October 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again

what that mean and why it comes when i tried to save the file after update it

falkTX
October 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

replace gedit with kate if using Kubuntu

abusamra
October 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.confreplace gedit with kate if using Kubuntu

thanks a lot, i did this exactly. but it dosent work. i have compaq CQ61-280EJ its new
also i tried the command that mentioned above for fixing the wireless but it doesnt work also

hope that anyone help, because i like ubuntu and i dont want to get back to vista

falkTX
October 9th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Have you tried to un-mute all channels from the volume mixer settings?

I usually have a problem (on a fresh install), because some "Speaker" setting is muted and volume all down.

You should try enable all the possible channels from the mixer options and set them all to MAX! (just to see if that works...)

(Worked for me)

santes_dad
October 9th, 2009, 06:10 AM
You need to using a more recent version of Alsa, for your sound to work. Release 1.18 is the default in Ubuntu 9.04, it needs to be upgraded to Release 1.20 > or 1.21.

I just bought a CQ61 and upgraded to 1.20, plus adding those 4 lines into the aforementioned *.conf file. The sound is restored.

The thread to upgrade Alsa is as follows:

http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/05/09/upgrade-alsa-1020-on-ubuntu-jaunty-904/

Good luck!

falkTX
October 9th, 2009, 09:25 AM
If you don't mind waiting a few days, the next Ubuntu version, Karmic (will be released at 29 this month), will fix this problems.

Maybe will still be needed to edit that file, but rather than that it all works fine

Nastro
November 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Great. It works!! :D
Thank you very much!

//Nastro

voodoox
November 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
i make this configuration

drbongo[/QUOTE]

pauts
January 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM
hello

that works fine for the sound. but i have the same problem with the microphone.
the jack for the micro works, but not the built-in micro.

any help?

i make this configuration

drbongo[/QUOTE]

Ergorafail
March 12th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Hi !
i have the same problem with abusamra,i have ubuntu 9.10 and i try to edit text with kate but i fail again

i need your help pleaseeee:(

(soory for my english i am from greece,thank's)

Ergorafail
March 14th, 2010, 01:44 AM
omg...finally i did it,thanks for your information...

i open terminaland, i wrote:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

and then i add in the end of alsa-base.conf this:

i restart my pc,
and yessssss i have sound...ouf :D

thanks a lot :)

snazzybottoms
March 23rd, 2010, 04:22 AM
thank you, thank you, thank you.
After literally an entire day wasted trying to get sound your solution did it. Was up and running w/ sound in like 2 min. thank you again.

eyeonus
April 24th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I have this problem on Karmic, and the "fix" didn't work for me, either. Any suggestions?

lidex
April 25th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I have this problem on Karmic, and the "fix" didn't work for me, either. Any suggestions?
Go here and work through the generic audio bugs in karmic:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems/KarmicCaveats
Make sure to install the alsa-backports as detailed there.

Still no sound? Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:

uname -a
aplay -l
cat /proc/asound/version
head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Please post text output using code tags. Also helpful is the make/model of your PC/Laptop.

eyeonus
April 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM
It's fixed now. The link helped. Thanks.