PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Internet Devices

Separ
July 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Just a quick question about MIDs since google isn't much help because of the keywords needed to search.

Do MIDs only have WiFi access (only able to connect to wireless access points or wireless networks) or are there any available with 3G mobile internet/mobile broadband.

Basically, I am looking for something like the Google G1 or iPhone but I really don't use the phone that much and so I refuse to pay £35 per month minimum for loads of minutes and texts that I will never use. Anyone have any ideas?

lisati
July 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Just a quick question about MIDs since google isn't much help because of the keywords needed to search.

Do MIDs only have WiFi access (only able to connect to wireless access points or wireless networks) or are there any available with 3G mobile internet/mobile broadband.

Basically, I am looking for something like the Google G1 or iPhone but I really don't use the phone that much and so I refuse to pay £35 per month minimum for loads of minutes and texts that I will never use. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm still new to using mobile internet devices, but here goes. I don't know what's available in Scotland, but my near-new 3g phone, made by ZTE (http://zte.co.nz/), can be plugged into my Ubuntu box via USB and can be used for mobile broadband. The settings for my mobile carrier need to be set manually - it's not listed in the dialog that pops up automatically, but the limited playing around I've done suggests that it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

wojox
July 8th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I use the LG VU

Using the Vu as a modem for a PC, I got speeds of around 600 to 800 kilobits per second. Modem access works via cable or Bluetooth.

I also pay $5.00 a month for 10 channels digital tv.

Also got a 4GB SanDisk card (extra $$).

Separ
July 8th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the reply but I am looking for something with the same sort of functionality as the iphone/G1 (meaning downloadable apps, internet browser etc) but without the phone part since I hardly use the phone at all.

The whole point is to have a device I can have constantly connected to the internet, no matter where I am in the country, without a wireless network and that fits in my pocket and doesn't require my computer to be able to connect.

I am not looking for something that I can use to connect my computer through.

Separ.

smbtol
July 8th, 2009, 02:03 AM
iPod Touch does what you want.

Separ
July 8th, 2009, 02:06 AM
iPod touch doesn't have mobile internet access. It requires a wireless network :(

smbtol
July 8th, 2009, 02:09 AM
iPod touch doesn't have mobile internet access. It requires a wireless network :(

I bought a Nokia 5800 unlocked at $235 in US. iPod touch has a better screen and more applications but otherwise it is worse in all regards and more expensive than Nokia 5800.

Separ
July 8th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks smbtol. That's more the sort of thing I am after, however it brings me to the reason that I decided to ask on the Ubuntu forums.

I am a big open source fan and try not to use anything completely proprietary. If there were the same sort of thing but with Ubuntu MID version on it, I'd love to see it.

smbtol
July 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I am a big open source fan and try not to use anything completely proprietary. If there were the same sort of thing but with Ubuntu MID version on it, I'd love to see it.

The same here. I would prefer a smartphone with Android on it, but there is nothing interesting around here in US.
On the other hand the Symbian OS is now open source. And Nokia had some very good deals for 5800 unlocked. It has only a few applications developed for it in Nokia Ovi store but the store was launched very recently. The default internet browser is good, you can also install Opera Mini on it. There are applications to connect to skype/google talk/yahoo messenger even with voice. Also google calendar synchronization, google maps....

Separ
July 8th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I've been searching around on Google for MIDs but I still can't work out if they are WiFi access only or if they have 3G mobile internet.

stuart.reinke
July 8th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I've been searching around on Google for MIDs but I still can't work out if they are WiFi access only or if they have 3G mobile internet.

My cellular company (U.S. Cellular) will sell a smart phone with a data package only.

This basically give you a handheld computer and internet device with both wi-fi and mobile internet axcess. No voice/text package included.

Maybe the cellular providers in your area will do the same.