PDA

View Full Version : Cool Gnome-do feature

Riffer
July 8th, 2009, 12:50 AM
http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/07/use-gnome-do-to-control-rhythmbox.html

A sweet little feature that I didn't know about. I know many here will probably know about it, but I thought I would share.

Any other tips to using Gnome-Do?

binbash
July 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
That is why i prefer docky to any other docks.

treesurf
July 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Gnome-do rocks.

pt123
July 8th, 2009, 03:45 AM
And why RB is better than Banshee, changing songs on Banshee causes my system to freeze.

gashcr
July 8th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I think RB is understimated by many people. It actually works better for me than most music managers (except amarok... but I'm a gtk guy right now). As for gnome-do, it's the best think since sliced bread. I just wish for the day we could change docky's background color :(

Swarms
July 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM
And why RB is better than Banshee, changing songs on Banshee causes my system to freeze.

Yeah, that is what defines what is better! :P

Warpnow
July 8th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Edit: Nevermind.

tgalati4
July 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I've got 23 extra keys on my HP keyboard. Some work out-of-the-box, the rest I reprogrammed to various gnome-do type of things.

Gnome-do is great if you don't have those extra keys.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 06:06 AM
thats why Gnome-do is awesome! I can use my computer much faster than before. Only problem is you can't play music that has no Album lol

Tipped OuT
July 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Am I the only person here that doesn't like Gnome-Do? I just use Avant Window Navigator, it looks good, it's customizable, and stable. It suites all my needs, and it already has the "cool" rhythm box controller built right in.

Tried Gnome-Do, uninstalled it after 10 seconds. It was just another boring non customizable flat bar dock to me.

Riffer
July 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Yeah I do like RB, a good straight ahead music player that's (for me at least) easy to navigate around. And I do love my Docky which is weird 'cuz I'm an anti Dock type of guy. I've also tried a couple of the other docks (AWN and Cairo) but Docky was the only one that's stable and never acted weird (for me). I think the the Devs should have Docky as part of the Default for future releases of Ubuntu.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Am I the only person here that doesn't like Gnome-Do? I just use Avant Window Navigator, it looks good, it's customizable, and stable. It suites all my needs, and it already has the "cool" rhythm box controller built right in.

Tried Gnome-Do, uninstalled it after 10 seconds. It was just another boring non customizable flat bar dock to me.

I think you missed the point of Gnome-do...
Its not actually supposed to be a dock, that's just a skin for it. I use Gnome-do but my dock is AWN. Gnome-do was designed to search for the application you want as you type (and do more now that there are plugins).
I don't use Docky, just Gnome-do.

Dimitriid
July 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
When I upgrade my machine I will give gnome-do a proper chance. At this moment though, too many resources.

Tipped OuT
July 8th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I think you missed the point of Gnome-do...
Its not actually supposed to be a dock, that's just a skin for it. I use Gnome-do but my dock is AWN. Gnome-do was designed to search for the application you want as you type (and do more now that there are plugins).
I don't use Docky, just Gnome-do.

I was ranting about the Docky "skin" of Gnome-Do, about how people say it's the best dock ever. Just don't see it.

:p

Riffer
July 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I was ranting about the Docky "skin" of Gnome-Do, about how people say it's the best dock ever. Just don't see it.

For me its the "just works" factor. Tried Awn and Cairo, both for me were flacky and never worked as they should. Things like autohide would sometimes not work or get stuck, or configuring was harder as I recall (been awhile).

While some of the others allow you to really refine the "look" of the dock, I like the fact that Docky is simple straight forward app. I think it has that "Grandma" factor, easy to setup and use for new folk.

While I'm sure that the other docks have their good points, Gnome-Do and Docky does it for me. But isn't it so cool that we have so many good choices.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Oh lol, well agreed there.

SupaSonic
July 8th, 2009, 10:18 AM

I tried gnome do twice.Maybe it was the hype, but I also only lasted a couple of minutes. When I read people's comments it seems that this app reads your mind and does what you think. And the next version will do stuff before you even think it.

Call me old-fashioned, but i'm perfectly fine with using Rhythmbox to control Ryhthmbox.

treesurf
July 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM
For me the absolute winner of a feature of Gnome-do is the ability to find specific files super easily, much faster than using a file browser. Starting applications with a couple keyboard strokes is really nice too. Docky is just icing on the cake.

Tibuda
July 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I tried gnome do twice.Maybe it was the hype, but I also only lasted a couple of minutes. When I read people's comments it seems that this app reads your mind and does what you think. And the next version will do stuff before you even think it.
I think that's a good description for Gnome Do.

AvixK7
July 9th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I have gnome-do installed, but I rarely use it's search function. it's not bad by any means, I just haven't use for it much. Don't know how to get docky to auto hide either. There's nothing in the preferences for it, but supposedly it auto hides if you want..

Edit: nevermind about the autohide. figured it out :)

Slug71
July 9th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Gnome-do wont start for me on Karmic. :mad:

gashcr
July 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Something else I love about do (well, docky actually) is the new intellihide function. It's just cool.

Something funny about it... I don't use docky as a launcher, but as a taskbar only... Then the keyboard shortcuts for launching. The improved search function in the last version is just awesome (no tracker needed anymore)

quazi
July 10th, 2009, 04:37 AM
So, I've got sort of a weird problem with the Rhythmbox plugin. Everything seems to be working fine on Gnome-Do, all the commands/songs are recognized, but it has absolutely no control over Rhythmbox. It does absolutely nothing.

What gives?

sdlynx
July 10th, 2009, 04:52 AM
can you type pause and enter which should pause the track? It works for me. When you find an artist/album/song and hit enter it should start playing... Not working for you?

quazi
July 10th, 2009, 05:21 AM
can you type pause and enter which should pause the track? It works for me. When you find an artist/album/song and hit enter it should start playing... Not working for you?

Nope, it just seems as though it doesn't do anything at all.

sdlynx
July 10th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Nope, it just seems as though it doesn't do anything at all.

strange, can you run rhythmbox to begin with?

quazi
July 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Yeap, Rhythmbox works flawlessly; I've been using it to play music for awhile now. I tried looking at gnome-do in terminal and that didn't really show much (although I didn't expect it to as gnome-do seems to be working fine).

After fiddling around a little bit more, Mute and Unmute seem to be working. That's it though. These commands also don't seem to go through rhythmbox, but rather through pulseaudio volume controls.

sdlynx
July 11th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Yeap, Rhythmbox works flawlessly; I've been using it to play music for awhile now. I tried looking at gnome-do in terminal and that didn't really show much (although I didn't expect it to as gnome-do seems to be working fine).

After fiddling around a little bit more, Mute and Unmute seem to be working. That's it though. These commands also don't seem to go through rhythmbox, but rather through pulseaudio volume controls.

I think the song changing commands work through Rhythmbox though

treesurf
July 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I recently started trying out the Banshee plugin and have been having some problems with it. It seems very spotty at pulling up music files that I am searching for. Sometimes it works great, but sometimes it refuses to pull up anything from the Banshee database at all. Does Banshee need to be running for this plugin to work?

Vadi
July 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Knew about this, but I simply don't see the point. The media players are quite usable on their own!

quazi
July 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Knew about this, but I simply don't see the point. The media players are quite usable on their own!

It's kind of cool to be able to just type in the name of a band and start playing from that band without having to navigate to the media player in use.

Unfortunately, for some reason I still can't get it to work at all.

EDIT: I think I was just not doing it correctly this whole time. I figured that hitting Super+Space and typing Play was sufficient.

I actually need to hit Super+Space and type Rhythmbox, then hit tab and type Play.

sdlynx
July 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
It's kind of cool to be able to just type in the name of a band and start playing from that band without having to navigate to the media player in use.

Unfortunately, for some reason I still can't get it to work at all.

EDIT: I think I was just not doing it correctly this whole time. I figured that hitting Super+Space and typing Play was sufficient.

I actually need to hit Super+Space and type Rhythmbox, then hit tab and type Play.

Oh, well if that works for you lol, because just play works for me

quazi
July 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Oh, well if that works for you lol, because just play works for me

Well that's bogus.