PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here use Apple or Windows along with or other then Linux?

Audrey Hepburn on Crack
July 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Anybody here use operating systems on their computers by Apple or Windows along with or other then Linux or BSD?

moster
July 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I guess gamers. I have too. I tell you, when over 1 month not boot in windows they are very eager to find about where you been. Disk is rattling like mad. HAHA I left them in dark.

Muffinabus
July 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I mainly boot XP and just use Linux to fiddle around with and explore other operating systems. And yeah, I'm a gamer.

Tibuda
July 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I use Windows in university computers, and friends computers, but I don't dual boot in home and in laptop. So, I voted neither.

aysiu
July 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Let's see... my netbook has a 16 GB SSD... probably not going to be dual-booting on it.

Ubuntu and that's it for me.

Muffinabus
July 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Let's see... my netbook has a 16 GB SSD... probably not going to be dual-booting on it.

Ubuntu and that's it for me.

Your sole and primary computer is a netbook?

koleoptero
July 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I wonder in how many ways and how many different topics can the "what OS you use" be discussed... :-k

itreius
July 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
OS X 10.5.7 & Linux (Fedora 11 atm)

aysiu
July 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Your sole and primary computer is a netbook?
Yes.

Phossy
July 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Family PC - Dual boot XP & Ubuntu 9.04 (has all our videos, photos and music on)
Spare PC - Ubuntu 9.04
Netbook - EEEbuntu
Laptop - Windows 7 RC

hanzomon4
July 7th, 2009, 11:25 PM
aysiu is so to the point..

OS X leopard.. I use it for the same thing I use ubuntu for. Now that I have all of my contacts/calendars/email in the cloud and my iphone can pull music from itunes on the phone I pretty free on what I can use. I still prefer OS X for it's reliability but Jaunty was kicking ***. I say was because my MBP model had a defective video card and finally died. It's now with Apple care, if my Ubuntu survives it will continue to kick ***

ibutho
July 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I mainly use Linux for work and personal use, but on one of my laptops I dual boot with Windows because some of the apps for my academic work will only run on Windows.

Ekeluo
July 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I run Win XP Pro alongside Jaunty. Main reason? Ventis MediaMonkey. Nothing in Linux universe even comes close. (Tried Exaile, quod libet, Amarok 1.4 [- the best] & 2.1, Banshee - pretty good) Still no one holds a candle to its tagging & playlist power or library management capabilities.

Oh and I play some windows only games too.

Eisenwinter
July 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah... this thread pops up every week...

HappinessNow
July 8th, 2009, 04:09 AM
both.

sdlynx
July 8th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I'm only using Windows when:

1)Dang it I forgot to hit escape gotta restart (GRUB reference).
2)Gaming.

Windows makes up very little of my computer usage time, and I mean very very little. Funny thing is the Windows partition is 3x as big as my Ubuntu one lol

joninkrakow
July 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
All three. I have a Wind with all three, including VirtualBox running Windows (that means two Windows installs). I only use Windows for Publisher files (hate Windows and Publisher--but one must do what one must do). I use OSX for most things, as it has the software I know and need for most things. I use Linux for Bible study (Love, love love BibleTime), and ripping and burning CDs and DVDs. It's the fastest and simplest system for me for doing this. I also do web things with my Linux partition.

I recently inheritd a Toshiba Tecra S3, and it absolutely LOVES Linux! I was surprised at how well all the dumb things are supportd. Great! but I need it for a Skype server, so I will probably keep it booted in Windows most of the time. :-(

-Jon

travy4911
July 8th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I run linux and windows....windows for programs I need to run for school and everything else is linux. I don't use the windows side much anymore maybe boot it one or two days a week. Linux is so much more stable, customizeable, secure, and all around what I need.

MikeTheC
July 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I use all three myself, but I only bother with Windows on two counts:

1. I have an OEM of Vista which shipped with my eMachines system;
2. I need to do school work, therefore requiring me to use Office 2007.

I don't see a point in setting up any kind of artificial Windows environment since I have the real thing.