PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i just received my invitation

andrea000
July 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
i just received my invitation to ubuntu one it's
awesome so much better then dropbox

Kinney
July 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I just received mine today to. Unfortunately I won't get to test it out until I get home later today.

cb951303
July 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
me too. so far it's far behind dropbox but I'm hopeful :)

EDIT:
no public sharing feature
no public web interface
no photo album
no file versioning
no xplatform support
no dynamic nautilus emblems

as far as I see, ubuntuone, for the time being, is just a fancy ftp server with a private folder sharing feature

Mia1990
July 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
have mine too i installed it and now testing it so far i like it a lot better then dropbox

WiFi Ed
July 8th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Got mine today also. :p

Installation and setup was drama-free and file transfers were easy.

I use Windows Live Mesh on my Win 7 desktop and Ubuntu One is very similar.

I like it!

infoseeker
July 8th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Got mine today. Running under KDE 4.2.4

so-far-so-good

:guitar:

kemargrant
July 23rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
I got my last week. Installation was easy and backing up my folders was smooth. I am a big fan of Ubuntu One :)

UbuntuNerd
July 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I had forgot all about my invitation until i read this Thread just now, I got one also :D

Eddie Wilson
July 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
i just received my invitation to ubuntu one it's
awesome so much better then dropbox

Why? From what I've read so far it seems that Dropbox is better. I know that Dropbox is a lot less expensive. What would the reason be for someone to choose Ubuntu One over Dropbox?

Thanks,
Eddie

cb951303
July 30th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Why? From what I've read so far it seems that Dropbox is better. I know that Dropbox is a lot less expensive. What would the reason be for someone to choose Ubuntu One over Dropbox?

Thanks,
Eddie

so far, absolutely none. see my above post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7576765&postcount=3)

I guess the best argument is that UbuntuOne client is open source but let's not fool ourselves. The server side is still closed source. Also let's not forget a part of the DropBox client is open source too.

Mia1990
July 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
well i don't think that it is all open source and dropbox does right now have a few more features but don't forget ubuntu one is still beta software so in the end it will be what we make it.myself i had nothing but headache's with dropbox but that was me.

Eddie Wilson
July 31st, 2009, 01:29 AM
Well I have it installed and working now so we'll see what happens. I'm still a little puzzled by the propriety items. I don't like getting involved too much with propriety software. I'm not saying that it's evil or anything, it just makes me cautious.

zekopeko
July 31st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Well I have it installed and working now so we'll see what happens. I'm still a little puzzled by the propriety items. I don't like getting involved too much with propriety software. I'm not saying that it's evil or anything, it just makes me cautious.

The server component is proprietary. But on the plus side, everything is encrypted. From your computer to storage on u1.

camper365
August 1st, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm running Karmic right now, so the client was already installed. I requested an invite and got one. I think that it is extremely easy. In nautilus, it is basically a local folder and the files have a cloud icon. I have never tried dropbox though.

ckonestroh
August 3rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Someone,

Explain the exact purpose of Ubuntu One??????

I don't see the purpose in updating other computers as a single user or as of to ten users....?

I have my cell phone 2 minutes I'm done...

Even when I took online classes there was no need to pass information... The classes I was willing to take were not high risk or complex...

What is the advantage of Ubuntu-one....

Voice explanation of a problem is far better... When reading you can skip words or steps in a problem....

later

cariboo
August 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Someone,

Explain the exact purpose of Ubuntu One??????

I don't see the purpose in updating other computers as a single user or as of to ten users....?

I have my cell phone 2 minutes I'm done...

Even when I took online classes there was no need to pass information... The classes I was willing to take were not high risk or complex...

What is the advantage of Ubuntu-one....

Voice explanation of a problem is far better... When reading you can skip words or steps in a problem....

later

Read this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1171507) for more info.