PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opening a Fat32 external disk

Breath!
July 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hello, everyone!

I'm using an iBook G3 with a PowerPC port of Hardy. Previously, I was using Dapper and I could open anything I plugged in that was Fat formated and read and write to it. Now that I've upgraded to Hardy it gives me this error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program or other error. In some cases useful info is found in syslog- try dmesg | tail or so

Was does this mean, and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

tripolitan
July 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Plug in your USB external HD AFTER you boot, not before. If that doesn't work, please explain the situation a little more (type of connection, /etc/fstab content, fresh install or upgrade)

Breath!
July 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I have always plugged it in after boot.

And I forgot to mention, while booting, Ubuntu tries to load hardware drivers but fails. If that has anything to to with this.

I'm running an upgrade from Dapper to Hardy and all during the upgrade I was getting Perl warnings about Locales.

Hope that helps!

tripolitan
July 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yes indeed it does help. The upgrade did not go as planned, a fresh install (with the USB drive disconnected) is probably your best course of action, in this case.

Breath!
July 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
:( Is there any way I could keep my current installation? Like a driver?

tripolitan
July 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Your current installation has already been damaged. If it is worth it to you to keep a damaged install, go ahead. If not, re-install, it only takes an hour.

Breath!
July 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I guess I'm just stubborn... I'll keep my install. :)

And I fixed with the XFCE file manager, Thunar.

Thanks for your help!

tripolitan
July 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Fantastic, thunar and xfce are probably more suitaable for G3 than Gnome or kde anyway. Just out of curiosity, how do you find Hardy on G3 laptop, in terms of speed? what is the speed of your G3 processor? thanks.