PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz blur is slow

Fatal Toenail Infection
July 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I seem to have a lot of trouble with the blur plugin for Compiz. The problem is that when I move a window or change desktops, my entire computer lags for several seconds at a very low framerate, but then after 2-3 seconds, it will run perfectly smoothly (even doing the same animations that I was trying to do before). I know that it's not because my computer can't handle it because it clearly runs fine after a couple seconds, but it's just initially moving a window or something to that effect lags. I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well, but does anyone know how I can smooth this out? (Other than turning off the blur plugin haha)

Pogeymanz
July 8th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I think the blur plugin is still pretty iffy. I've heard lots of people have problems with it.

I've also heard that intel cards have an especially terrible time with it.

Sorry I couldn't be of any real help. I'd avoid that plugin until it matures more.

jpeddicord
July 8th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I think the blur plugin is still pretty iffy. I've heard lots of people have problems with it.

I've also heard that intel cards have an especially terrible time with it.

Sorry I couldn't be of any real help. I'd avoid that plugin until it matures more.

My Intel (standard GMA950) card hasn't been able to use the Blur plugin since everyone switched from XGL to AIGLX a couple years ago. On XGL I remember it running fine. (Though XGL has plenty of other issues...)

Fatal Toenail Infection
July 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess for now I'll just have to deal with it (could be a driver issue too, who knows?)