PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems Accessing a Windows Domain and Shares via Samba

alexlafreniere
July 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm having some difficulties getting my Linux client to log onto an existing Windows domain and accessing the shared directories there. I've done a lot of research, and there's tons of stuff on getting Windows clients to log onto a domain run by a Linux server, but I can't find much on the other way around. And what is there, is close to indecipherable or so outdated the instructions don't work anymore. So what I'm asking is, could anybody point me towards a simple to follow and up-to-date tutorial on getting a Linux client to log onto a Windows domain with GUI access to the networked drives on that domain. What I'm ultimately trying to achieve is a simple-to-use workstation for hospital workers to get the files they need off a Windows share. Thanks in advance for any help.

696f6e6963
July 8th, 2009, 02:39 AM
sudo apt-get install likewise-open
sudo domainjoin-cli join your.fqdn domain_admin_username

And you are succesfully connected to your domain.

superprash2003
July 8th, 2009, 06:58 AM
take a look at this tutorial http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2008/04/01/step-by-step-using-samba-to-join-a-windows-domain.html

alexlafreniere
July 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
sudo apt-get install likewise-open
sudo domainjoin-cli join your.fqdn domain_admin_username

And you are succesfully connected to your domain.

Exactly what does "your.fqdn" stand for, and what if my domain does not have an explicit administrator account?

Would a proper FQDN be something ending in .com or .org? And is there any way I could set up the domain and log in using likewise-open without using an administrator account? Or any similar way where I don't have to mess with config files, just one command and I'm done?

696f6e6963
July 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
You need to join the domain using a domain administrators account - the same is required for Windows. Once you have joined the domain you can login using any of your user accounts setup in AD.

alexlafreniere
July 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
You need to join the domain using a domain administrators account - the same is required for Windows. Once you have joined the domain you can login using any of your user accounts setup in AD.

Is there always an admin account called "Administrator"?

696f6e6963
July 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
It is usually, but not always called "Administrator". However, there is always an administrator account.

alexlafreniere
July 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll look into finding the admin credentials.