PDA

View Full Version : Is Mint really just like ubuntu?

Yvan300
July 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I was just wondering if the new mint (7) which was released after jaunty will use the same rendering technique that jaunty used and will it also have little propertiary drivers availabe. My card is not supported in jaunty and was just wondering if the new version of mint will be the same.

damis648
July 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I was just wondering if the new mint (7) which was released after jaunty will use the same rendering technique that jaunty used and will it also have little propertiary drivers availabe. My card is not supported in jaunty and was just wondering if the new version of mint will be the same.

What card do you have?

Yvan300
July 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Ati raedon xpress 200

richg
July 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I switched from Ubuntu 8.04 to Mint 6 some months ago when Mint 6 came out. Something about codecs I believe. My PCs now view commercial DVDs and wireless works right out of the box. Do not know about the latest Ubuntu but I am happy with the results. I am only a Linux user, not a Linux techie type. For me the green back ground is better than the brown burnt back ground. Freedom of choice.
Don't know about video cards as I use PCs with integrated mobo.

Rich

damis648
July 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I doubt it, but you can always try.

XubuRoxMySox
July 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
All the drivers and codecs you need for Ubuntu are right here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu), complete with simple instructions on how to add them.

Mint is Ubuntu with preinstalled codecs, different artwork, some added tools, and a default in Firefox that turns Google into an involuntary automated fund raiser for the "developer."

Muffinabus
July 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
It's really nothing special. Install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package and you've got Mint.

calrogman
July 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
...an involuntary automated fund raiser...
...that can be turned off...
...or purged.

XubuRoxMySox
July 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
...that {automated fund raiser} can be turned off ... or purged.

But those changes are undone whenever Firefox updates. The only way to make the change permanent is to delete the Mint repository and use only the Ubuntu repos.

amitabhishek
July 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/amitabhishek/images2-1.jpg
Ubuntu

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/amitabhishek/images1.jpg
Mint :D

mamamia88
July 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
flash and audio work flawlessly in mint for me ubuntu was fine but crashed occasionaly with flash and audio would stop working occasionally hasn't happened yet in mint for me

darco
July 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Ubuntu

LOL!!....good one....

I have Mint 7 x64 and its more than just added codecs. It just has a better feel to me. Burn the Live CD and see if it doesnt impress you...

darco

kamitsukai
July 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
To be ohnest I would be just as at home with Ubuntu as I am with mint but I prefer the tweaks and mint tools such as the menu I personally see nothing wrong with the search feature it's no different then what Mozilla does with the Firefox Homepage search (google.co.uk/firefox) and as people have said before you can choose not to use it, you can also add the normal google back by using Add to Search Bar

xebian
July 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Ati raedon xpress 200
The radeon or radeonhd drivers work perfectly including composting. Mine is xpress200M

xebian
July 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Have you asked the mint folks? I can't say anything as I don't use mint.):P

andrew_D14
July 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
i use mint and it pretty much is ubuntu except all those codecs come preinstalled. Also it comes with the mint menu and all that. And for all those who don't like the brown theme in ubuntu you can always change it.

HappyFeet
July 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
For me the green back ground is better than the brown burnt back ground.

As we all know, taking 5 seconds to change that is a grueling task. Something I would not wish on my worst enemy. And don't get me started with codecs. The whole 90 seconds it took me to install the codecs is 90 seconds I'll never get back. How could I be so stupid as to waste ALL THAT TIME?

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
As we all know, taking 5 seconds to change that is a grueling task. Something I would not wish on my worst enemy. And don't get me started with codecs. The whole 90 seconds it took me to install the codecs is 90 seconds I'll never get back. How could I be so stupid as to waste ALL THAT TIME?

I choose all my operating systems based on the default theme. Because everyone knows that you have to be a programmer to change the wallpaper.

Yvan300
July 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
What I'm trying to say is that in jaunty a lot of ATI cards have been dropped ie no cloesed source drivers, so i am wondering if the same goes for mint 7 which is based on jaunty.

Muffinabus
July 7th, 2009, 09:20 PM
What I'm trying to say is that in jaunty a lot of ATI cards have been dropped ie no cloesed source drivers, so i am wondering if the same goes for mint 7 which is based on jaunty.

Yes.

CJ Master
July 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
This is the last time I'm going to say this, because it's been said hundreds of times before. You are not the user group mint is targeting. You know how to install codecs? That's great! I'm really happy for you. Not everyone does though.

kamitsukai
July 7th, 2009, 11:50 PM
This is the last time I'm going to say this, because it's been said hundreds of times before. You are not the user group mint is targeting. You know how to install codecs? That's great! I'm really happy for you. Not everyone does though.

I know how to install codecs and I still use mint;)

I find it to be a much more of a collaboration between the users and the developers

I still don't know how people can call mint ubuntu+codecs ubuntu is debian + a gruesome gnome theme:popcorn:

mint will eventually add more to what it currently offers

mwolfer1
July 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM
The original question regarding support of the specific ATI card is easy to answer: Boot from the LiveCD and find out. I found that out of the box Mint seems to support more hardware (I noticed wireless cards) than Jaunty.
Using both Mint 7 and Jaunty I find both useful in their own way. I believe Mint has some usability improvements over Jaunty (control center, MintInstaller, etc.) that are not only helpful for the more casual user. I use Mint on the laptops since it seems to be more natural and efficient with less screen real estate, while I have Jaunty on the desktops.
The nice thing about Ubuntu still is that we have all this diversity and a lot of choices while still maintaining a large, consistent base that has great support everywhere.

OT: What I really don't need any more of is this dumb 'real men use real ubuntu' nonsense, and all this patronizing 'don't you know how to install codecs'. It really gives us boffins a bad reputation.

3rdalbum
July 8th, 2009, 01:53 AM
The main problem with Linux Mint is that there is no upgrade path. You can't dist-upgrade, you can only install the new version afresh.

Clem once made a dist-upgrading script for an older version of Mint, and from user reports it only seemed to work about 50% of the time.

Linux Mint is quite an attractive-looking system with some good value-added stuff. But no dist-upgrade is painful.

To reply to the original poster: ATI's latest proprietary driver doesn't support your card. The older proprietary driver does not work with the version of Xorg that is in Jaunty, and by extension, Linux Mint 7.

keiichidono
July 8th, 2009, 02:21 AM
As said before, mint is a customization of Ubuntu. You can install Ubuntu, and add the Mint repo's and install the mint tools and use the mint theme and install codecs and you'll have Ubuntu look and act like Mint. I like to do things myself, so Arch is the Distro for me. But some people like to have things done for them beforehand. Then Mint is for them. Some people like it in the middle, enter Ubuntu. ;)

arcdrag
July 8th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Linux mint customizations revolve around usability and aesthetics...they don't touch hardware and stability type issues.

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I can't believe this hasn't bee moved to recurring yet. I don't think any thing recurs like the whole Ubuntu vs Mint thing.

Marlonsm
July 8th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I've seem both o Mint's site and on DistroWatch that Mint 7 doesn't support ext4. So if that's the case, it means that Mint 7 (the latest one) isn't based on Jaunty. Is that true?

kamitsukai
July 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
The main problem with Linux Mint is that there is no upgrade path. You can't dist-upgrade, you can only install the new version afresh.

Clem once made a dist-upgrading script for an older version of Mint, and from user reports it only seemed to work about 50% of the time.

Linux Mint is quite an attractive-looking system with some good value-added stuff. But no dist-upgrade is painful.

To reply to the original poster: ATI's latest proprietary driver doesn't support your card. The older proprietary driver does not work with the version of Xorg that is in Jaunty, and by extension, Linux Mint 7.

Your upgrade concerns are a thing of the past:KS there has been a decent attempt at dist-upgrade for a while although it is experimental it is just as efficient as the Ubuntu upgrade it's just that clem gives a much more informative warning about what the potential problems users can face after the upgrade:

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=861

andamaru
July 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ubuntu

I don't get it :???:

mamamia88
July 8th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've seem both o Mint's site and on DistroWatch that Mint 7 doesn't support ext4. So if that's the case, it means that Mint 7 (the latest one) isn't based on Jaunty. Is that true?

not true at all using ext4 on mint 7 right now. and it's defintely based on jaunty every time i enable a ppa i have to use the one for jaunty. but the good thing about it compared to jaunty is they didn't disable control-alt-backspace and they didn't add annoying update pattern to update manager

BobSongs
July 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
lol -- love the humor. Livens up the forum. CJ Master, lighten up, and remember the DistroWatch slogan: Linux: Put the fun back into computing.

I tried Mint myself. I liked their new menu idea but the processor load was too much. I imagine this has been cleaned up?

For those who are wandering through this thread in search of a bit of help with Ubuntu, check out The Ubuntu Guide (www.ubuntuguide.org (http://www.theubuntuguide.org/)). This guide will help jump-start a basic Ubuntu setup into what a typical user expects of a PC.

Other handy guides:

Kubuntu Guide (http://www.kubuntuguide.org/)
Fedora Guide (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Fedora_fc5)
Mandriva Guide (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Mandriva)

MasterNetra
July 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
As far as I'm concerned Mint Linux is Ubuntu with the codecs, new theme, windowish menu, and a number of other toys installed. But as CJ Master Mentioned its not geared towards thoughs who know linux to some degree, its the type of distro you give to a someone who knows absolutely nothing about Linux and/or how it operates. yes installing the codecs yourself and changing the theme is no big deal to us. But noobs to linux aren't going to know how to do this and many won't be knowledgeable enough to know it can be done.