PDA

View Full Version : Opera Unite - So what if the security sucks?

stwschool
July 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Just a little something to chew over..

Lets say you're a horrible evil hacker type. You know that your boss is running Opera Unite and you don't like him for whatever reason. Let's say that Opera Unite has a security problem, and being a naughty hacker you put something on his web server for all to see. We have a problem right?

Thing is that this thing has a similar status to facebook or myspace or whatever, as a place to put your personal stuff on the net and let your mates see it. So imagine their confusion when they see the goatse man.

Now at least on facebook or myspace, the servers are (we hope) maintained by trained professionals, but this is maintained by an average user. The problem here is that your average computer user isn't that bright. Should we really be encouraging them to run a server, much less one with public visibility?

Taking it a little further, lets say I'm really nefarious.. normally if I set up a phishing scam I've got to get some webspace, and find a way of doing it without leaving a trace of a transaction (which means probably taking a compromised web server, probably maintained by a professional, a reasonably tricky task). However, now I've got access to a huge resource, a vast number of idiots running webservers. So.. that's gonna end well isn't it.

The problem here is that it's just too ill-conceived for words. Seriously, WHAT were they thinking of?

damis648
July 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
You make a good point. I don't know how I feel about this though...

SupaSonic
July 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I don't know who would ever use that service. They should stick to making a browser.

infestor
July 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Opera inc. is getting really naive

TenPlus1
July 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I use Opera Unite to share photos between my friends online... I think it's a great feature and place a password on my shared files to stop nosy ppl in chat rooms seeing my stuff... It's a free feature for an already great browser peeps...

CJ Master
July 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I use Opera Unite to share photos between my friends online... I think it's a great feature and place a password on my shared files to stop nosy ppl in chat rooms seeing my stuff... It's a free feature for an already great browser peeps...

Exactly. Plus even if a hacker changed the webpage to phish, the user can just change it back.

Pogeymanz
July 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah. I'm a big Opera fan and I thought that Unite sounded silly anyway. Of course, security is always on my mind and this is a decent concern, but no more than any other method of putting your personal info online.

stwschool
July 8th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah. I'm a big Opera fan and I thought that Unite sounded silly anyway. Of course, security is always on my mind and this is a decent concern, but no more than any other method of putting your personal info online.
Ah but it is, because for every other method, the server itself is maintained by a trained professional. Ie you have a proper webhost, or a myspace page, or whatever, and there's a server techie somewhere looking after the machine it's on. Will Joe Bloggs who doesn't know what a URL is be able to really look after his box? Honestly? Do you know how much malware is on the average Windows box?