PDA

View Full Version : Linux User or Ubuntu User?

jfloydb
July 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Does using Ubuntu really make me a Linux user? Does using Mac OS X make someone a Unix user? All symantics aside, what do you think? (Let's keep things friendly, please)

Eisenwinter
July 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
As long as you use an operating system with the Linux kernel, then you're a Linux user.

Vadi
July 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah I'd say it does. Redefines the image of the Linux user for the better.

Tibuda
July 7th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Linux User or Ubuntu User?
What about Linux user AND Ubuntu user.

Sublime Porte
July 7th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Does using Ubuntu really make me a Linux user? Does using Mac OS X make someone a Unix user? All symantics aside, what do you think? (Let's keep things friendly, please)

Or does using Windows XP make one a Windows user or a Windows XP user?

Comparing Ubuntu to Linux, and OSX to Unix is a pretty bad comparison. OSX is a completely un-Unix style of system, built on top of a Unix base (in fact the Mach kernel isn't even the original Unix kernel anyway, it was a different project). Whilst Ubuntu is just a nicely packaged up Linux distro. Ubuntu is pretty much the same as any other Linux distro, OSX is nothing like any other Unix derivative.

Skripka
July 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
As long as you use an operating system with the Linux kernel, then you're a Linux user.

All rectangles are squares, but not all squares are rectangles....or however you say it.