PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Colourful fonts in Firefox

potatan
July 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi,

I recently did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04, and the fonts in Firefox (3.5) seem a bit colourful or colorful around the edges. See screenshots. All my Firefox font settings are at their defaults. I have played around a little with my System/Appearance/Font settings for subpixel smoothing, hinting etc. but nothing seems to make a difference to the fonts in Firefox.

The only thing that is non-standard is that I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras - I'm wondering if this has enabled some sort of default font setup that doesn't match my machine (though I've had no problems using this package in the past).

Any ideas?

Screenshots attached

Thanks in advance.

enli
July 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
To me this looks like font smoothing technique problem. Try different techniques listed at System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts.

LCD should work fine. but as you mentioned that didnt help. May be someone else could shed some light on the problem.

Th3_uN1Qu3
July 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
The colored edges are caused by subpixel smoothing. If you don't like it use Best Contrast or Best Shapes. Indeed, subpixel smoothing should be disabled on CRT monitors as it makes text look like the convergence is off.

potatan
July 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I use a 19" LCD monitor. None of the rendering options in Apperance/Fonts makes any difference to the fonts displayed in Firefox, however.

binbash
July 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/07/howto-fix-firefox-35s-font-hinting.html