PDA

View Full Version : Evoltion removal ?

ThePainter
January 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM
Hi,
Basically I didnt like evolution so Ive installed Thunderbird.
I then went to uninstall evolution and it prompted me that it was going to uninstall Ubuntu Desktop as well ?
What does it mean ?
Will my os become unusible ?

Quest-Master
January 22nd, 2005, 12:42 AM
Nope, I uninstalled both packages and my Ubuntu works perfectly fine.

ThePainter
January 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Hi,
So why do you think it says it is going to remove the ubuntu desktop ?
I also tried to remove totem (cos it wont play avi,s but VLC does) and it gave the same prompt ?

Quest-Master
January 22nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
It's just a metapackage of programs that came installed with your desktop. You don't need it at all. Just think of it as a placeholder you no longer need.

ThePainter
January 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Hi,
OK last night I tried to uninstall Evolution.
I got the prompt saying that it was also going to remove Ubuntu Desktop.
I clicked Ok and let it go.
Everything went OK until I rebooted a while later.
Yes youve guest it, my ubuntu desktop had gone.
I logged in and got my wallpaper but no task or launch bar.
Luckily I managed to open the terminal from a right click menu and fiddled about until I got the file browser open and got into the Applications launch folder and opened synaptic and reinstalled ubuntu desktop and Im up and running again.
I think these programs are like IE in XP they are part of the system and cant be removed without losing the whole package.
Im probably wrong but I think Ill just remove the icons and pretend they arent there :D

RU63
January 24th, 2005, 02:26 PM
This happened to me awhile back.. The way i solved this was reinstall gnome (not being able to minamize windows is anoying):

sudo apt-get install gnome

Just remove the evolution mail... not evolution.. i jsut removed it from the panel...

It would be nice if someone told us why we can't remove Evolution without losing the desktop.

PEace,

digitalpure
January 25th, 2005, 01:44 AM
this has been talked about in a few other threads, and I am not a expert by any means, but my understanding is that Evolution is part of Gnome and not Ubuntu.... They have dummy packages that link to the ubuntu-desktop.

You can fully uninstall the evolution packages and ubuntu desktop, and then just readd the launch bars, and tray notification area sections.

I hope this helps, otherwise I woudl search for evolution removal on the forums.