PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] limited resolution on ASUS vh222h

Techmobowl
July 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I recently upgraded to an ASUS widescreen monitor. I am unable to get it to run at full 1920x1080 resolution in Ubuntu, instead I'm stuck at 1440x900. My pc is dual booted and I can get full resolution in winXP. I tried manually setting the display to 1920 1080 in xorg.conf but no luck.

For winXP I had to tell the driver that I the signal was formatted HD North America (or something like that).

shatterblast
July 8th, 2009, 12:50 AM
What video card type do you use? If you use nVidia, then you can set the resolutions separately through its configuration software. You can access it through:

System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Settings

There after, you could just visit the Display Configuration part and then choose Detect Displays. ...But that's all assuming you have nVidia.

Techmobowl
July 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I've been using the nVidia X-config utility. The highest res it detects for my display is 1440x900. (GeForce fx5500)

I checked back in XP, under the nVidia control panel. I have to tell it to run as an HD display, 1080p format. Is this a format that nVidia does not have under their X-server utility?

Thanks for your help, I'm going to google "linux 1080p"

This looks promising...
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-425527.html

shatterblast
July 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The best solution would be probably updating your video drivers then if possible. nVidia has a history of putting the basics into a Linux driver first and then adding features as time goes on. This includes monitor resolutions, and I've gone through the issue as well.

I would recommend installing "envyng-qt" from Synaptic. It can be found under:

System -> Administration -> Synaptic

The Jaunty version of EnvyNG should be enough, but in case you aren't running that version, here is a link.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/envyng-qt

Techmobowl
July 9th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "false"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes, NoPredefinedModes"

I added these two lines to xorg.conf as discussed in the post I linked to. Now I have beautiful 1920x1080p for my ubuntu desktop. Victory!

shatterblast
July 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Congratulations!