PDA

View Full Version : more free advertising for ubuntu

stinger30au
July 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
one of our local radio stations in the last hour was calling for people to ring in and tell them what they thought the greatest thing since sliced bread was. sliced bread started happening in australia 80 years ago apparently

so i rang in and told them all about ubuntu

we all had 60 seconds to tell why our device or what ever was so good, but i had written a heap of stuff down and i just kept going and going and going

it all went to air, i had a friend of mine in the other room listening and he was laughing his head off

so, i have again done more free advertising for this operating system for free and it has reached over 100,000 listeners

had to share!

HappyFeet
July 7th, 2009, 07:23 AM
one of our local radio stations in the last hour was calling for people to ring in and tell them what they thought the greatest thing since sliced bread was. sliced bread started happening in australia 80 years ago apparently

we all had 60 seconds to tell why our device or what ever was so good, but i had written a heap of stuff down and i just kept going and going and going

it all went to air, i had a friend of mine in the other room listening and he was laughing his head off

so, i have again done more free advertising for this operating system for free and it has reached over 100,000 listeners

had to share!

That's great.

Viva
July 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Great work stinger.

lisati
July 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Sliced bread? What will they think of next?

betrunkenaffe
July 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Bread doesn't come sliced.

Sef
July 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
moved to community cafe.

steveneddy
July 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
sliced what?

heroidi
July 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I've done the same in my local radio :D 2 weeks ago.

stwschool
July 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I don't want sliced bread. I want my bread unsliced so that I have the freedom to choose whether to slice it, or whether to leave it as is, and if I choose to slice it, to choose my own thickness, before passing my modifications on to the next user ;)

Thirtysixway
July 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
haha cool
I just stick ubuntu stickers everywhere

DeadSuperHero
July 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I just invite friends over, and occasionally pull my laptop out and just do normal stuff. Run a game, show a Youtube video, etc. I rarely say anything about it, and they actually ask more when they catch onto the interface. ("Hey, what is that? It doesn't look like Mac or Windows!"), to which I'll nod, smile, and say "It's a linux system."

After a while, they've all asked me (http://linux.com/community/blogs/My-Best-Friend-Now-on-Linux.html) to install it on their hardware. Show them the ropes, help them install everything they need...bingo. As a bonus, I sign them up for Jabber and add all their buddies that are already using it, which makes it easier for me to actually talk to someone on IM (For moral and technical reasons, I don't use proprietary IM services. Can't really do much about things like Gmail or Facebook, but at least I can do SOMETHING with IM.)

TBOL3
July 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Um, I don't know if that's good.

If you appeared as an ubuntu fan boy, that may have hurt the OS's reputation.

DeadSuperHero
July 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
TBOL, that kind of thing will happen regardless of whether he went on the air or not. Every community has zealots that drive people away.

TBOL3
July 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, I completely agree. But is the existence of a problem a good reason to compound it? I would say no, others may say yes, but I think that you should either not make the problem worse, or help solve the problem.

And no, going on the radio isn't bad. I think it was cool, I was just a little nervous when the OP said how he went, on and on.

Rainstride
July 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, I completely agree. But is the existence of a problem a good reason to compound it? I would say no, others may say yes, but I think that you should either not make the problem worse, or help solve the problem.

And no, going on the radio isn't bad. I think it was cool, I was just a little nervous when the OP said how he went, on and on.

its still better than doing nothing. fanboys are like are like toothaches, there annoying as hell and no one wants them, but sometimes you get them. just so long as he/she sounded professional and clam and not like a raving loon its a great thing;).

TBOL3
July 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
its still better than doing nothing. fanboys are like are like toothaches, there annoying as hell and no one wants them, but sometimes you get them. just so long as he/she sounded professional and clam and not like a raving loon its a great thing;).

That's exactly what I'm saying. I think at this point, we're arguing over semantics. Either that, or I'm not getting my idea accost properly.

stinger30au
July 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM

i assue you i dint rave on like a loon

i had written down all my points i wanted to get across in point form and just attacked it from go to whoa , when the announcer told me to stop i jut pretended i didnt hear him and kept pressing on lol!

when i got to he end the announcer said he has never heard of ubuntu before and would check it out

renbla
July 12th, 2009, 02:40 AM

had to share!

100k is a HUGE number :lolflag:, since i use ubuntu, i have introduced it to 10 friends of mine :p

monsterstack
July 12th, 2009, 02:53 AM
i assue you i dint rave on like a loon

i had written down all my points i wanted to get across in point form and just attacked it from go to whoa , when the announcer told me to stop i jut pretended i didnt hear him and kept pressing on lol!

when i got to he end the announcer said he has never heard of ubuntu before and would check it out

D'ye mind transcribing the notes you took here? That way we can judge whether or not your monologue was any good!

And well done, by the way.

Superkoop
July 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I don't really like sliced bread...I like fresh wholesome non-sliced bread. The sliced bread is usually too soft and when you press it, it becomes like dough, yuck.
So it's not much to be better than sliced bread...However sliced meats on the other hand... :D

tgalati4
July 12th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Ask the radio station for an mp3 clip of your Ubuntu experience. I'm sure we'd like to hear it.

stinger30au
July 12th, 2009, 11:34 AM
D'ye mind transcribing the notes you took here? That way we can judge whether or not your monologue was any good!

And well done, by the way.

i wrote it down in point form from memory
i had stuff writen down like

free operating system available to be used by anyone for what ever reason with no licence fees to be paid

designed to work on laptop, desk top, server installations

exrememly resitant to virus, worms, trojans, spyware, adware

live boot from cd to test if it works on our pc prior to install

new version released every 6 months

easy to install new programs via gui interface with descriptions

comes with open office a free alternative to microsoft office

runs extremely fast as no need to have virus scanners etc running in back ground

free support available to anyone at ubuntuforums.org

end users can gave feed back to developers at the developers web site

end users can file bug reports and suggest new ideas at a specific web site

easy share data on local lan with program "giver" no setup required

best of all, its yours free, you never need to pay any money ever

if you can not download it from the net you can request a free copy of cd and it will be posted world world, you dont need to pay postage

runs well on old hardware as well as new hardware so minimises need to upgrade hardware to keep upeverytime new operating system is released

multiple chioces for gui interface, 3 main catagories - kde, gmone, xfce

customise the gui and mix and match from all 3 desktops

play games via steam software