View Full Version : Firefox 3.5 final moved to Universe repository

kpkeerthi
July 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I've been waiting for this. Yay!

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/firefox-3.5

jpeddicord
July 7th, 2009, 06:18 AM
About a week late there ;)

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/f/firefox-3.5/firefox-3.5_3.5+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.04.1/changelog

Also, firefox-3.5 has been in jaunty since early May, it just wasn't the final build. (Probably shows up as Shiretoko even now, since the Ubuntu patches have to be approved by Mozilla to have it officially branded.)

kpkeerthi
July 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Also, firefox-3.5 has been in jaunty since early May, it just wasn't the final build.

Yeah. I'm aware of that. Just been waiting for the 'final'.

lovinglinux
July 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Firefox 3.5 package from Jaunty Universe repositories have been update to final release, although it won't be branded Firefox, because is not the official Firefox package. Which means Firefox 3.0.11 probably won't be updated to 3.5 in Jaunty, but you still can run this version using the Shiretoko brand.

If you don't like the Shiretoko name then uninstall it and and install the official Firefox 3.5 from Mozilla.

The 4 most popular methods of installation of Firefox 3.5 (Psychocats, Ubuntuzilla, Repository, Shiretoko/Swiftfox) are available in the "Install Other Versions" section of the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567&highlight=FOT). I personally tested all of them and they work like a charm, but I recommend methods 1 (Psychocats) and 2 (Ubuntuzilla).

Keep in mind that Shiretoko automatically copy user profiles from ~/.mozilla/firefox to the folder ~/.mozilla/firefox-3.5

Closed_Port
July 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM
What's with people's obsession with a name? I just don't get it.

Instead of installing FF-3.5 from the repos, I see people everywhere using different methods to install firefox outside of package management, wildly setting symlinks, etc. just because of a name you can easily change.

Now, the first rule of managing a linux installation is that you avoid installing software outside of package-management as much as you can. And not installing something that actually is in the repos because of something that takes 30 seconds to change, simply is a very, very bad idea!

lovinglinux
July 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
What's with people's obsession with a name? I just don't get it.

Instead of installing FF-3.5 from the repos, I see people everywhere using different methods to install firefox outside of package management, wildly setting symlinks, etc. just because of a name you can easily change.

Now, the first rule of managing a linux installation is that you avoid installing software outside of package-management as much as you can. And not installing something that actually is in the repos because of something that takes 30 seconds to change, simply is a very, very bad idea!

Not to mention that there are entire threads complaining about the Shiretoko name :)

I personally think is silly, but I guess most people complaining don't understand that it is the same application. Anyways, I'm just providing the available methods and explaining the difference to avoid more threads complaining about Shiretoko (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1200781). I guess I have OCPD :)

andrewabc
July 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM
huh?
Is still beta 4 version according to changelog.

way to get me excited for nothing.

kevdog
July 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Off topic - 3.5 is awesome.

jespdj
July 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM
huh?
Is still beta 4 version according to changelog.

way to get me excited for nothing.
I just installed it and nowhere does it say this is a beta version. The About dialog says it is version 3.5. The changelog is probably not yet updated.

lovinglinux
July 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I just installed it and nowhere does it say this is a beta version. The About dialog says it is version 3.5. The changelog is probably not yet updated.

I also installed here just to check if the information of the update was correct. The Add/Remove manager also displays beta, but it's not, it's 3.5 final release.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Cool. Kudos for the Ubuntu packagers for refining the policies on package upgrades. It'll be nice to see more of this in the future :)

Short__Error
July 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
i have had no problems what so ever with FF-3.5 works great.

pjalegria
July 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
But no update for FF3.0...:(

jpeddicord
July 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
But no update for FF3.0...:(

And there won't be. Jaunty will always have the 3.0 series, because 3.5 is a feature upgrade. It's much easier to support minor releases than major upgrades.

Chame_Wizard
July 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
3.5 will be fixed soon.

pjalegria
July 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Chame_Wizard, why do you said that?

jpeddicord
July 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Because we'll all be moving to WebKit. (Kidding!)

Though Epiphany/Midory/Chromium are certainly nice browsers.

exploder
July 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I just installed 3.5 from the repos, it seems to get along with the supported version just fine. I see no problem having both versions of Firefox installed. I have found no problems with the new version except that some sites do not recognise the new version because of the branding but clicking a proceed button is not that big of a deal.

I understand the policies in place and see no problem with having both versions installed.

kpkeerthi
July 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Just installed 3.5 from universe. The fonts still look bad and different from the rest of the system. Will stick with 3.0.11 for now until the fonts are fixed. I know there are some hacks to get around the font issue but I consider this a bug as the fonts look OK in other applications including FF 3.0.11.

jpeddicord
July 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I just installed 3.5 from the repos, it seems to get along with the supported version just fine. I see no problem having both versions of Firefox installed. I have found no problems with the new version except that some sites do not recognise the new version because of the branding but clicking a proceed button is not that big of a deal.

I understand the policies in place and see no problem with having both versions installed.

I've hit that problem with the DailyMotion open video demo. They just do a simple user agent check for Firefox 3.5, and if it isn't found you get the Flash player. Sure there's the User Agent Switcher addon, but it would be nice if it did "just work" here.

mamamia88
July 7th, 2009, 04:35 PM
i just installed it by backing up my current profile and pointing the link in menu to the extracted folder with firefox file in it by the way how do i enable universe in mint 7? software sources doesn't work