PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft Battle.net

element_G
July 7th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I'm running xubuntu 8.10 on my laptop and I'm trying to play Starcraft online (Battle.net) but bnet complains saying "battle.net was unable to identify your application version. Please uninstall and then reinstall the application..."

I have applied the latest update patch for Starcraft and I am running the latest wine. (Starcraft runs fine in single player mode)

Google helped me find this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6320978&postcount=2 about making a couple dll's native in winecfg but this has not fixed things for me:mad:

please help!:KS

element_G
July 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
anyone ?

bvanaerde
July 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Is it possible you're using a crack to run the game (no-cd crack or something else)?
If not, please don't be offended by my comment... ;)

element_G
July 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
none taken ;)

I'm running a completely legit copy of SC. With the 1.16 patch, blizzard made SC able to run without the cd anyway, but regardless I did have the Broodwar CD in the drive when I got the error in the OP.

element_G
July 7th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Searching Wine's appDB I have found a solution!!!

1. No Compiz allowed (wasn't running that anyway)

2. Uncheck the boxes:

Allow the window manager to control the windows and

Allow the window manager to decorate the windows

in winecfg under the graphics tab

):P

edit: a quick matchup has proved it, SC on b.net under ubuntu 8.10 and wine works! On a side note, I am on 8.10 because 9.04's horrible intel drivers have caused SC to lag terribly (it is unplayable online, single player is OK, and yes I have tried fixing it with the fixes mentioned in 9.04's release notes). But I still found I could upgrade XFCE to 4.6 in 8.10 so now that SC is fixed I am a very happy camper. :lolflag:

beefcurry
July 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks, that solution worked like a charm, too bad compiz screws up b-net.