PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cat names

shingalated
July 7th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Hey, I'm getting a cat this Friday, and I'm trying to think of some good geeky, possibly Linuxy cat names. I thought the name of the cat on Hak5 was clever, but don't want to copy! (Kerbi, short for Kerberos.) So far the only good name I can think of is Lilo...Any ideas?

X-BANE
July 7th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Cerberus?

Call it something like bonecruncher, or mouse slayer... :p

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Wait until you get it. The name will come afterwards. I named my cat Speabers, which is short for "spaz babies" because she's nuts.

rucadulu
July 7th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I think Wesnoth would be a good Linux gamers name for a cat.

Sealbhach
July 7th, 2009, 05:04 AM
How about an 8th century name: Pangur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangur_B%C3%A1n)?

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
"Stay" ?

Muffinabus
July 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Kevin!

Mulenmar
July 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Wait until you get it. The name will come afterwards.

+1. All the pets my family has gotten have shown what an appropriate name would be for them. Our German Shepard liked to chase after people, so his name is Chase. Our Border Collie is very quiet, yet not hesistant to make sure other dogs know he's thet boss, so his name is Andy -- after Andy Griffin, a sheriff on a very old American tv show. One of our cats adopted us while it was a kitten; it acted exactly like one of our previous cats did, and even sounded exactly like the previous cat did, so we named him Echo.

So do wait until you actually get the cat, and have observed for a few hours, before you definitively name it. You could always pick out some possibilities, dependent on what its personality turns out to be, but you might not want to announce what distro or whatever you associate with what personality. It might cause a small flamewar, and burning fur smells bad. :lolflag:

PS: No, I have never burned a cat, and would never do such a terrible thing. Our other cat used to sleep on the stove during the winter, and didn't realize a burner was on. Her tail fur got scorched. :( She was otherwise unharmed, and is now at the ripe old age of 17.

networm1230
July 7th, 2009, 06:29 AM
my cat queen gave birth to three baby cat

note: a Queen cat is a pregnant female cat. Booje is the name of my cat.

is you cat male of female ?

Operan
July 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM
For a long time my family don't put a name to any pets. :D

alidrus2000
July 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Why dont you name the cat "Tux" after the Linux mascot?

HappinessNow
July 7th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Hey, I'm getting a cat this Friday, and I'm trying to think of some good geeky, possibly Linuxy cat names. I thought the name of the cat on Hak5 was clever, but don't want to copy! (Kerbi, short for Kerberos.) So far the only good name I can think of is Lilo...Any ideas?

Butch

Irihapeti
July 7th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Sudo

short for:

sudo apt-get mouse
sudo apt-get off-the-kitchen-table

lisati
July 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Nala? (Lion King)

Sublime Porte
July 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Crontab, or tabby for short (since that's a kind of cat).

ken_do_san
July 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I called my cat Furball (no he isn't a longhair, wanted to get away from all the usual names).

azkehmm
July 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Abraham D'Lazy, Giuseppe Casey or Thomas O'Malley :)

gn2
July 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Psycho.

elliotn
July 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Shingalated

derekeverett
July 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
How about Kernel?

masux594
July 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Do you need a name for your cat? .. Well.. .. "Cat" =)

Sysc, A

shingalated
July 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
my cat queen gave birth to three baby cat

note: a Queen cat is a pregnant female cat. Booje is the name of my cat.

is you cat male of female ?

I'm not sure yet. My roommate is bringing it home Friday. He works on a farm and they have tons of barn cat/kittens.

shingalated
July 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM
PS: No, I have never burned a cat, and would never do such a terrible thing. Our other cat used to sleep on the stove during the winter, and didn't realize a burner was on. Her tail fur got scorched. She was otherwise unharmed, and is now at the ripe old age of 17.
That's terrible...and maybe a little funny.

shingalated
July 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Sudo

short for:

sudo apt-get mouse
sudo apt-get off-the-kitchen-table
That's a good one. I'm probably going to end up using something short like this rather than "bone cruncher," so it will be easier for the cat to learn.

Irihapeti
July 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Well, I suppose there's always this:

$ whereis cat
cat: /bin/cat

Cat, get out of bin!

3rdalbum
July 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
My cats have been called:

Beau
Whiskers (not very original)
Arnie
Nina
Cosmo (that was when we thought it was a male cat - it was actually female, so we called it Cosima)
Molly
Oscar (because The Odd Couple are Oscar and Felix).

Uncommon human names tend to make good cat names.

3rdalbum
July 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
This reminds me of a quote from Bash.org

<xanesly> my husband and I felt stupid standing in the yard with dog saying "go potty! time to go potty!" in that dorky voice you use to talk to dogs and babies
<xanesly> (and some foreigners)
<xanesly> so we decided to use STDOUT instead
<xanesly> so we stand outside chirping "standardout! standardout!"
<xanesly> which has made it that whenever *we* need to go to the bathroom we refer to it as STDOUT
<xanesly> and when the dog has an accident, STDERR
<xanesly> sometimes I make myself sad.

amitabhishek
July 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
How about Hilfenhaus?

chucky chuckaluck
July 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
give the cat a decent name (not geek oriented, in other words). would you really have liked it if your parents named you after one of their interests? (suppose your mom was into gardening. would you really want to be known as 'lily of the valley'?)
it's true that you'll end up nick-naming your cat and might even rarely call it by its original name.

iponeverything
July 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
segfault

capnthommo
July 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
there's a radio comedy/sci/fi currently being re broadcast on bbc 7 called 'Seymour the fractal cat' - the cat in question is the product of a hyper computer and a cat and is super-intelligent.
cheers
nigel

shingalated
July 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
give the cat a decent name (not geek oriented, in other words). would you really have liked it if your parents named you after one of their interests? (suppose your mom was into gardening. would you really want to be known as 'lily of the valley'?)
it's true that you'll end up nick-naming your cat and might even rarely call it by its original name.

Even though I haven't met the cat, I doubt it will have the necessary grasp of the English language to care if it has a geek name...

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Name is "Guess"

What's it's name?
Guess

mkrahmeh
July 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
the kde version of your cat would be kat ;)

xoorox
July 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
how about bash? :)

RD1
July 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
5 ;)

estamand
July 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Cat5 or Cat6 works for me

The Toxic Mite
July 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Kat if it's a girl