PDA

View Full Version : Weird Linux 'Errors' (come and share!)

murderslastcrow
July 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Well, here I'll list two big ones I experienced over the past year.

One computer, my friend's computer was running just fine- you know, 1 GB RAM and unable to play Diablo II at more than 5 fps. Also, we got some vintage hardware working with the 'dead' battery. Whenever we unplugged the lappy, it would die instantly.

So we installed Linux, got all these flashy effects in a matter of minutes, and it was so weird- Diablo II ran crazy fast, and when we unplugged the computer, it ran on battery power for almost 30 minutes with our supposedly broken battery. It was horrendous.

Another really sad bug I ran into was when I reinstalled Windows XP and dual-booted it with Ubuntu on my parents' computer. Even after the reinstall, Windows XP kept one of my favorite features- the hard drive keeps making this sound like it's revving up whenever I open a file or save something. Vroom vroom!

Well, unfortunately, this doesn't happen when running the Linux filesystem. :\

The thing that really irks me is that some Linux zealots around the web have been advertising this lack of functionality as 'features'. It's just a silly way to cover up what Linux does poorly, and they should be more honest.

K, all sarcasm aside, do you guys have any similar experiences? Cool features you didn't expect to find (for the noobs), the more pleasant side of Linux? :3 I'm really curious to hear.

TBOL3
July 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Linux, the only OS where if you ignore your problems, they go away (or at least they do about 7/8 of the time).

Sealbhach
July 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM
One memorable thing was when I installed Ubuntu on my brother's Toshiba laptop. First there was no sound, so I added a line to the alsa-conf file. Next time we booted up, we had sound - but only in one speaker. Next day, we booted it up and we had sound from both speakers, without my making any other changes. It's eerie, like it knows.

Grant A.
July 7th, 2009, 05:28 AM
[Thu Jun 25 2009] [03:36:25] Error Connection to Server irc.freenode.net lost: no error.

:-k

sefs
July 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM
There was that time when shortly after I booted up, it would slow to a crawl and become unresponsive, where a hard reboot was needed. Some good chap lead me to look at my swap file. Somehow it had become corrupted or non-existant. So I fired up knoppix/qparted and reformated the swap space, and was good to go.

Sealbhach
July 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
And what's with "selecting previously deselected package". But I didn't deselect anything, did I?

murderslastcrow
July 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Haha, maybe Linux was just trying to prove it had bawlz by messing with the swap. "I don't need this partition! XP Swap areas are for fat OSes."

I can just imagine that Linux has a mind of its own after reading these examples. :O What have we created!? It's Space Odyssey 2001 all over again!

dragos240
July 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Not linux error. But it's windows. "error: success"