PDA

View Full Version : Are you irritated by incorrect spelling?

JohnFH
July 7th, 2009, 01:23 AM
80% of the developing, worlds poppulation cant spell or use punctuation corectly.

Be honest. When you read that sentence above, did you immediately think about the meaning of it without being distracted in any way by the spelling and punctuation mistakes in it? I'm constantly irritated by incorrect spelling and grammar and especially by the lazy attitude people seem to have towards the proper use of language. When I find a word spelt incorrectly or an apostrophe missing, it makes it more difficult to understand the post. Quite often I have to read the sentence again to try to understand the intended meaning, and if I need to keep doing that then I get tired of that thread and move on to another one.

Are you the same?

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
"when I find a word spelt incorrectly..."

lmao

.Maleficus.
July 7th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I am exactly the same. i love the posts that are run on sentences and use no punctuation and just continue a thought for an entire paragraph though this is a bad example because my spelling is relatively good but still it makes reading really hard and almost unbearable maybe i should go back to 2nd grade when this stuff is taught idk what do you guys think

I usually try to ignore it and answer the post but sometimes I just have to comment. It hurts my brain if I don't.

.Maleficus.
July 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM

lmao
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spelt

See definition 2.

Seeing as he's from the UK, it's not really that funny.

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM
"i love..."

:p

JDShu
July 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM

lmao

I assume you're referring to "spelt" which is in fact a correct spelling, so nothing to laugh about ;).

However in response to the question, no I do not get irritated because I understand what the person is saying and that is all that is important to me. If you delve into the (very interesting) field of linguistics, you start to feel that correct grammar, spelling etc. really matter very little in the grand scheme of things.

philcamlin
July 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM
lol wut lollerskates

thats not incorect anywhere :D

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spelt[2]

How does that make it not funny? I laughed. That is all.

wojox
July 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
spelt is a type of wheat. OMG WTF

.Maleficus.
July 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
"i love..."

If that was to me, that was intentional. Notice how the entire last "sentence" has no punctuation, capitalization and overall is a complete mess. There's no period at the end either.

:?

gn2
July 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM
"I'm constantly irritated by incorrect spelling and grammar and especially by the lazy attitude people seem to have towards the proper use of language."

and and..... how can you cope with reading your own posts?

philcamlin
July 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM
spelt is a type of wheat. Omg wtf

rofl!

sorry i had to say that :D

tacantara
July 7th, 2009, 01:40 AM
To the OP: I hear you. I try to look past the spelling and punctuation when I read the threads, not just here, but everywhere. People tend to write in "shorthand" when they're on the Web, in much the way they do when sending text messages over a cell phone. I was fortunate to get good "spelling genes" (instead of good looks or talent LOL), and much of my time at work is spent either writing, or reviewing other people's writing. If I let it get to me on the Web, I go totally insane - ironic, considering that I spend my time on the Web to relax.

Jesus_Valdez
July 7th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'm from Mexico, I can read and understand english quite well, but the lack of proper English education gives me problems with grammar and spelling.

But well, nevermind, I know that cases like mine are not the objective of the thread, I hate incorrent spelling or grammar on spanish, thougth.

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Hmmm... you guys gave me an idea.

but anyway...

To be perfectly honest, I am terribly annoyed with typos and incorrect usage of words. I usually don't care about my forum and chat typing, though. I use them as time to relax, with little stress. OK. I'm a hypocrite. :D

Currently, I work in a law office as a paralegal. As of late, I mostly cite and edit proposed law review articles for the lawyers in the office. You would be surprised at how often "Latin" is garbled by respected attorneys with many years' experience. For instance, this morning one of the lawyers had "mens reas" as the plural for "mens rea."

.Maleficus.
July 7th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I'm from Mexico, I can read and understand english quite well, but the lack of proper English education gives me problems with grammar and spelling.

But well, nevermind, I know that cases like mine are not the objective of the thread, I hate incorrent spelling or grammar on spanish, thougth.
Your english is leaps and bounds ahead of some native speaker's.

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Your english is leaps and bounds ahead of some native speaker's.

Which one? :p

Lateforgym
July 7th, 2009, 01:53 AM
English grammar could learn a thing from French and Spanish. For example Spanish questions put a ? in the front and back of the sentence, so you dont have to "read ahead while speaking aloud" as they used to teach us. It makes a lot more sense to put the ? in the front so I know how to inflect my voice without having to play the read ahead game.

Further I hate "'" Why should I take the time to spell don't when its obvious what dont is and you cant possibly confuse dont with don't

Lastly the French got it right when they will call something "Mount Blanc" when in English we have to was time calling them the "the White Mountains". Its a waste of letters.

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 01:54 AM
80% of the developing, worlds poppulation cant spell or use punctuation corectly.

Be honest. When you read that sentence above, did you immediately think about the meaning of it without being distracted in any way by the spelling and punctuation mistakes in it? I'm constantly irritated by incorrect spelling and grammar and especially by the lazy attitude people seem to have towards the proper use of language. When I find a word spelt incorrectly or an apostrophe missing, it makes it more difficult to understand the post. Quite often I have to read the sentence again to try to understand the intended meaning, and if I need to keep doing that then I get tired of that thread and move on to another one.

Are you the same?

I found multiple punctuation errors in this post. Can anybody find them? First one to find them gets a cookie.

dragos240
July 7th, 2009, 01:54 AM
It's easy to read posts with bad spelling, but I am quite annoyed with it.

sdlynx
July 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spelt

See definition 2.

I believe he's referring to the type of wheat...:lolflag:

As for bad spelling, I dislike it but it does not bother me much.

mc4100
July 7th, 2009, 02:00 AM
To be hnoest, I rethar thnik we sohuld be cabaple of ovrekooling any terlibre splleing besuace we can, in fcat, unedrsnatd it all aynawy -- if we raed qiukcly.

sdlynx
July 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM
To be hnoest, I rethar thnik we sohuld be cabaple of ovrekooling any terlibre splleing besuace we can, in fcat, unedrsnatd it all aynawy -- if we raed qiukcly.

What is he saying?! I can't overlook this terrible spelling and I cannot in fact understand it at all even though I read quickly... lol

Arup
July 7th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Why just the developing world? Most there don't even have English as their native language and they are under no obligation for it to be shoved down their throats. What I find apalling is that in the so called developed world where English is the native language, majority fail to spell, pronounce or write it right. Large part of the population in US or UK can't even speak the language properly, in certain areas incoherent speech is the norm and as they put it, its the hip thing and they do it with impunity. Since I am in the academic world, I am painfully aware of this aberration.

jrusso2
July 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
It seems to be cool now with young people to sound as ignorant as possible.

overdrank
July 7th, 2009, 02:21 AM

Ouch!
Maybe we could just build a bridge and get over it. :)

Daisuke_Aramaki
July 7th, 2009, 02:22 AM
This is not confined just to the developing world. You can find many native English speakers from the US and UK murdering the language as well. If they are being plain lazy, then there is something to be frustrated about. But if someone comes from a place where English is not spoken that much and you start finding fault with his or her English, you run into the risk of being thought of as a prick.

A guy from England visited us to do a small project work last year. He was supervised by my German colleague, and when he was finished with his work, he turned in his report. The report writeup was seriously flawed, primarily because he literally used some spoken slang in many crucial sections, apart from a large number of spelling mistakes. Not a good idea, when you are writing a technical report. My colleague tried his level best to get him change it, but the guy thought it was funny that we told him the language was not appropriate. He used to argue, stating that he was English and so his language skills are so much better than all of us here.

I generally have no problems with mistakes made by a non native English speaker, if I am able to understand what the person is saying.

Try learning a new language yourself and see how long it would take to write a proper sentence.

Simian Man
July 7th, 2009, 02:27 AM
"I'm constantly irritated by incorrect spelling and grammar and especially by the lazy attitude people seem to have towards the proper use of language."

and and..... how can you cope with reading your own posts?

And how can you cope on the internet with such a poor sarcasm detector?

gn2
July 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
And how can you cope on the internet with such a poor sarcasm detector?

D'ya think it would help if I ran
sudo apt-get install sarcasm-detector.....?

doas777
July 7th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I get quite irritated with folks that complain about spelling and grammar on forums. as long as the meaning and intent are clear, the expression is unimportant to any ecumenical observer.

Unless you are a teacher and the offender is a student in your charge, there is no logical reason to correct someones grammar/spelling, unless you just want to appear better than the other party. it hubris, plain and simple.

Daisuke_Aramaki
July 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I get quite irritated with folks that complain about spelling and grammar on forums. as long as the meaning and intent are clear, the expression is unimportant to any ecumenical observer.

Unless you are a teacher and the offender is a student in your charge, there is no logical reason to correct someones grammar/spelling, unless you just want to appear better than the other party. it hubris, plain and simple.

This is absolutely true!

aesis05401
July 7th, 2009, 02:42 AM

But you hear this from every generation. Youth sounding that way has more to do with obsfucation attained through non-standard diction than anything else.

sailthesea
July 7th, 2009, 03:01 AM

I fyou get your intent across then the snytax int rally crucial is it?

This is the net and a global communication is not possible if you feel the need to be perfectly correct with your grammar at all times, it would simply take too much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFH View Post

Are you the same?
I found multiple punctuation errors in this post. Can anybody find them? First one to find them gets a cookie.

In English grammar there are :
A lack of paragraphing,and some dubious comma usage.

Please don't bring up the subject of using "either" in a sentence that contains more than two choices!
I will lose my £$%*!:p

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Given that UF is intended to be oriented towards an international audience, I completely understand it has members who cannot utilize English, or who's command thereof is sub-par. That being said, however, there's no excuse for not bothering to learn to use ANY language properly, whether it's English, or German, or French, or Hebrew, or anything else.

The issue here is that people who chronically misspell words and use poor or nearly non-existant grammar, certain learning disabilities, aside, lack proper self-pride. If you don't take pride in yourself, or have respect for yourself, why should anyone expect very much from you?

The problem in the U.S. is that we're all about escapism and making up excuses for others. Well, I'm sorry, but I refuse to participate in that, whether I'm writing a post like this or engaged in casual conversation face to face with another person.

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM

I only partially agree. If someone spells "dog" as "dgo," but the meaning is clear, I find no reason to say anything. This is because I would strongly believe that the person does not believe the actual spelling of "dog" is "dgo." Correcting that typo would serve no purpose.

However, is someone uses "insure" when the context clearly shows that the proper word is "ensure," I would probably correct it. In situations like that, the person very likely misunderstands the words' meanings. In other words, it would be a recurring problem, if not corrected.

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM

What is he saying?! I can't overlook this terrible spelling and I cannot in fact understand it at all even though I read quickly... lol

ha ha

aysiu
July 7th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I'm not an audiophile. I'm one of those people who can't tell the difference between 128 kbps MP3 and CD quality.

I can, however, tell the difference between CD quality and a tape that has been copied from a tape that has been copied from another tape. And I would rather, in that case, listen to CD quality.

So, yes, if someone posts a thread with poor grammar and spelling, I can usually figure out what she means to say, but I would much prefer she writes it clearly to begin with so I don't have to work as hard to separate the "music" from the "static."

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 03:42 AM
So, yes, if someone posts a thread with poor grammar and spelling, I can usually figure out what she means to say, but I would much prefer she writes it clearly to begin with so I don't have to work as hard to separate the "music" from the "static."

You were a teacher. Teachers can read anything, even a doctors handwriting.

CabanaBoi
July 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM

When I started reading your post I didn't even realise there was a missing apostrophe, or that you spelt population incorrectly. I guess being on the Internet this long has taught me to "auto decipher" this crap.

I say take a chill pill cuz this ain't gon' stop.

wtfJOOS?

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Given that UF is intended to be oriented towards an international audience, I completely understand it has members who cannot utilize English, or who's command thereof is sub-par. That being said, however, there's no excuse for not bothering to learn to use ANY language properly, whether it's English, or German, or French, or Hebrew, or anything else.

The issue here is that people who chronically misspell words and use poor or nearly non-existant grammar, certain learning disabilities, aside, lack proper self-pride. If you don't take pride in yourself, or have respect for yourself, why should anyone expect very much from you?

The problem in the U.S. is that we're all about escapism and making up excuses for others. Well, I'm sorry, but I refuse to participate in that, whether I'm writing a post like this or engaged in casual conversation face to face with another person.

and that's why he hates rap music. ;)

aysiu
July 7th, 2009, 03:47 AM
You were a teacher. Teachers can read anything, even a doctors handwriting.
That's kind of my point.

I can read anything. But there are things (well-written sentences) I would much prefer to read over other things (gobbledygook).

kevdog
July 7th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I never understood the rap on Doctors handwriting? You know if no one can read their writing -- they just get paged or called for clarification! Most hate getting paged for stupid things, so most write somewhat legibly.

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 03:50 AM

Ahhhh, so you're just lazy? :D

arcdrag
July 7th, 2009, 03:52 AM

Are you the same?

If a person's English is worse than my Spanish then I might see your point. Otherwise, there is no way of me knowing that English is their first language, and thus no reason for me to expect them to have decent grammar.

kevdog
July 7th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Is this thread about Grammer of Spelling?

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Are you the same?

In English grammar there are :
A lack of paragraphing,and some dubious comma usage.

Please don't bring up the subject of using "either" in a sentence that contains more than two choices!
I will lose my £$%*!:p

I just think it's funny when someone goes on a rant about punctuation errors, while making a bunch of punctuation errors. I don't always use correct punctuation, but I won't rant about it either.

Redache
July 7th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I find it frustrating that the use of English in English speaking nations has become so lazy. My First Language is Welsh, but I assume English as my "Academic" language as out of both Languages it is the one that I feel has the least "Colloquial" interference. I do have some Slang, but I'm fairly certain that I don't use it very often. I have spent the last year studying in London and have found the Standard of English appalling, I am shocked at the use of language that students deem acceptable to be included in ANY Formal Assignment, let alone at University Level.

Whilst I would prefer a world where people speak all of the languages they learn to a high standard, I fear that it will never happen. There are too many excuses about time and not enough arguments that are pro high standard.

The "I's teh Internets, Gtfo, ppl is savin' time bye tiping things wrong" argument really irritates me though. You have a Keyboard that is comfortable and designed for the input of words. Whilst in the past certain limitations meant that people would indeed type conversations short hand, in the modern computer literate world, is it too much to ask that you learn to type properly? Or maybe spell properly?

I agree with MikeTheC that it is something that people should take pride in and not obliterate with their idiosyncratic short hand.

Bad Spelling is often understandable, nonexistent spelling is not.

With regards to non Native speakers, wouldn't it be more beneficial to explain to the speaker that they are using the language incorrectly and highlight what they need to improve on, so that they in turn may improve their language?, or are we to politically correct to spread the gift of knowledge and learning.

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 04:06 AM
and that's why he hates rap music. ;)

Dude, seriously LOL'd on that one. You *are* the man!

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 04:11 AM
With regards to non Native speakers, wouldn't it be more beneficial to explain to the speaker that they are using the language incorrectly and highlight what they need to improve on, so that they in turn may improve their language?, or are we to politically correct to spread the gift of knowledge and learning.
Actually, a few such folk here on UF have asked specifically for help, and any of a number of us (myself included) have been happy to assist them. I don't have an issue with ignorance. I have an issue with laziness and with willful stupidity.

Several yahren ago when I was on SciFi.com's Battlestar Galactica board, there was a poster there who lived in one of the southeast Asian countries (don't remember which off-hand) and he asked very politely for help with the dialog in some of the first season episodes. At the time I was a regular viewer of NuBSG, and so I gladly helped out by transcribing the dialog for him, as well as providing definitions of any kind of more obscure or complicated words, or any of the actually legitimate terms used in the series.

I'm not saying this to brag; rather, to press home the point that all anyone here who is lacking in language skills need do is ask for help.

sailthesea
July 7th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I just think it's funny when someone goes on a rant about punctuation errors, while making a bunch of punctuation errors. I don't always use correct punctuation, but I won't rant about it either.

I think the whole discussion has proved itself in that there is no standard of communication on the internet. Why should there be? You just need to get your point across in a language all can comprehend :p

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
What if I decided to write a sentence and then alphabetize the words in it, first by part of speech, and then by spelling of the word? One could argue it's still "English" but I guarantee it would make comprehension difficult.

You have to have agreed-upon conventions for meaningful conversation to take place. What English lacks in "official" rules and absolute standards (as compared to French, for instance) it more than makes up for in commonly-accepted conventions. Not bothering to spell correctly, or not bothering to construct a sentence properly does not constitute an acceptable alternative, but a lazy individual who has no dignity and clearly doesn't have respect for others.

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have to take two comp classes this year, so anything I'm lacking in the grammar/punctuation department should be corrected.

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I have to take two comp classes this year, so anything I'm lacking in the grammar/punctuation department should be corrected.

I've gone through Comp I this year myself. I still have Comp II to tackle, but I'm going to try and get some of the other basics out of the way first, simply because of the "intensive writing" nature of the Comp classes as well as some of the other classes I need.

Where are you going to college, if I might ask?

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I've gone through Comp I this year myself. I still have Comp II to tackle, but I'm going to try and get some of the other basics out of the way first, simply because of the "intensive writing" nature of the Comp classes as well as some of the other classes I need.

Where are you going to college, if I might ask?

ITT Tech in Warrensville Hts. I was going to go to Lakeland because it's closer, but they don't have a Bachelors program there.

X-BANE
July 7th, 2009, 04:37 AM

Are you the same?

Maybe you need to learn & accept that language evolves. It may not be to your liking, but it happens. You live in the internet age!

MikeTheC
July 7th, 2009, 04:41 AM
ITT Tech in Warrensville Hts. I was going to go to Lakeland because it's closer, but they don't have a Bachelors program there.

That's fantastic! How far into your college education are you? I'm 36, and due to poor judgment earlier in life I'm only just now starting my college education, with two classes (Comp I and Intro Algebra) under my belt.

<hijack>

One of the things I have found of late is that I couldn't even get the kind of job I used to have at Sony (not that I ever want to work in a call center again ever!!!) without at least an Associate's level degree. Moreover, any decent college will very quickly set the student straight on the fact that you must be able to write and communicate clearly in order to achieve academic success. That certainly is the message at Edison State College, which is where I'm going.

</hijack>

swoll1980
July 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM
That's fantastic! How far into your college education are you? I'm 36, and due to poor judgment earlier in life I'm only just now starting my college education, with two classes (Comp I and Intro Algebra) under my belt.

I have been going for 6 months now. I have 24 credit hours completed, and a 4.0 GPA, I've only completed intro classes for comp, and algebra. I just started my third quarter, and I'm attending algebra 1, and two IT classes this quarter, Operating Systems, and Intro to Programing.

One of the things I have found of late is that I couldn't even get the kind of job I used to have at Sony (not that I ever want to work in a call center again ever!!!) without at least an Associate's level degree. Moreover, any decent college will very quickly set the student straight on the fact that you must be able to write and communicate clearly in order to achieve academic success. That certainly is the message at Edison State College, which is where I'm going.

Same reason I'm going. My career in sales was going nowhere, and I was too stupid to go when I was younger.

Moop
July 7th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I don't get irritated by poor spelling. I think peoples brains are wired differently and spelling comes easier for some people than it does for others.

I have one exception and that's when someone uses loose when they mean lose. For some strange reason that one really bugs me.

Tipped OuT
July 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
i get quite irritated with folks that complain about spelling and grammar on forums. As long as the meaning and intent are clear, the expression is unimportant to any ecumenical observer.

Unless you are a teacher and the offender is a student in your charge, there is no logical reason to correct someones grammar/spelling, unless you just want to appear better than the other party. It hubris, plain and simple.

+9000!

I mean seriously, it annoys the crap out of me. This post explains why perfectly.

stwschool
July 7th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I teach kids in Thailand. I have 21 nationalities at last check. Weirdly, the British and American students are not the ones who write the best English. It's the Dutch. They win every time. Basically English gets mangled by everyone, but the wonderful thing about English is that, unlike some other languages, the meaning gets accross even with significant mangling, due to high levels of redundancy and error-checking. In Thai, on the other hand, any slight error renders the whole sentence impossible to understand, based on my own limited experience of the language.

Grant A.
July 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
wut ar yu talkin bout?

doas777
July 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
However, is someone uses "insure" when the context clearly shows that the proper word is "ensure," I would probably correct it. In situations like that, the person very likely misunderstands the words' meanings. In other words, it would be a recurring problem, if not corrected.

true, but why is it your place in society to correct them? they didn't ask you to, you know.

Eisenwinter
July 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I do find it annoying to read a large post with many spelling mistakes, especially repetitive spelling mistakes.

But, I find it more annoying to read a whole post written like this:

This is some huge post. we went to this house and then we did that and he took her shoes and she stole his clothes from the closet and then this happened so we did this to show our friends that this is cool.

That, REALLY annoys me. Large posts, with virtually no punctuation at all. Unbearable, if you ask me. I often ignore these posts completely.

The Toxic Mite
July 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I seriously don't like the idea of "grammar Nazism". :/

People should learn when to ignore spelling/grammar mistakes.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Spelling mistakes happen. Occassionaly, I make them too, I'm not going to lie. However, there's a difference between a few spelling mistakes, and typing as if it's an MSN chat. I can't take people seriously when they write in that mannor. I don't even do that in an IM chat because it's very annoying.

What also annoys me is when people post a huge wall of text without separating it into paragraphs or using punctuation. Basically what Eisenwinter said.

Eisenwinter
July 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
<sarcasm>"I'm srroy, but I culodn't splel prplreoy"</sarcasm>
I don't like total-grammar-nazism too. But, do you really expect people to be able to ignore a sentence, when it's written the way you wrote it there?

I know that's an extreme example of incorrect spelling, but still.

The Toxic Mite
July 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Spelling mistakes happen. Occassionaly, I make them too, I'm not going to lie. However, there's a difference between a few spelling mistakes, and typing as if it's an MSN chat. I can't take people seriously when they write in that mannor. I don't even do that in an IM chat because it's very annoying.

What also annoys me is when people post a huge wall of text without separating it into paragraphs or using punctuation. Basically what Eisenwinter said.

I can agree with you.

I don't usually like writing big blocks of text. In fact, when I make posts on the forums, I ALWAYS double-space when I'm going to write a new line.

Regarding IM chat, I don't use it either apart from the odd LOL and that, but I don't really care if they use IM chat or not. I can understand it pretty well, to be honest.*

*Maybe that's just because I'm a teenager :P

itreius
July 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
No, I'm not annoyed or irritated by it, and I usually won't be making any fuzz about spelling mistakes.
What does grind my gears, however, is when people call someone a grammar Nazi because he/she pointed out a spelling mistake, implying grammar has something to do with spelling mistakes.

tom66
July 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I find it more difficult to read, but everyone makes mistakes, so I deal with it.

JordyD
July 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
It irritates me, but I can't remember ever mentioning people's bad spelling when I run into it.

Swagman
July 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Most people when unsure of how a word is spelt will go for the phonetic spelling. I find this to be ok as we can "get the gist" of what they mean.

A lot of mistakes are due to accents. I would imagine an example would be the word "Colour" to an American. Spoken in "plum in the mouth" English it really is "Col-Our".

Or if you were to ask a Yorkshireman waht (deliberate) town he was from and he replied "uddersfield" most non english speakers would think he was indeed from Uddersfield.

owever, eres <---- a clue !

If I had used an incorrect term or spelt something wrong I would appreciate being corrected but not for obvious typos.

For others it's downright laziness.

The Toxic Mite
July 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM
+1

steveneddy
July 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
When I find a word spelt incorrectly .....

lol

I find spelling and grammar issues when reading some posts.

Firefox has a built in spell checker so either no one is using Firefox or if they are, they aren't taking advantage of the words underlined in RED and believing that to mean that there is a mis-spelt word.

The Toxic Mite
July 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
lol

I find spelling and grammar issues when reading some posts.

Firefox has a built in spell checker so either no one is using Firefox or if they are, they aren't taking advantage of the words underlined in RED and believing that to mean that there is a mis-spelt word.

I don't give a damn about the "spellchecker". If people want to use it, fine, but, like I said, I don't give a damn

Eisenwinter
July 8th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Here is a prime example of a sentence that makes me want to punch the person who wrote it, in the face:

if u got married n u saw a beautiful,hot gal in some place n she staring n u really think tht shes the most hot gal on the planet n bt u r married..ur wife is very nice ok...then wht do u do tht moment...u goin 4 some flirt 4 fun or u just igoner her

Seriously, what the hell?

I can't even read that.

swoll1980
July 8th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Here is a prime example of a sentence that makes me want to punch the person who wrote it, in the face:

I can't even read that.

eevn tihs is esaeir to raed, tahn taht.

pwnst*r
July 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
that poll's second option is weak. learn the new spellings? what?

The Toxic Mite
July 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
eevn tihs is esaeir to raed, tahn taht.

Yaeh! Good tnhkigin!

doas777
July 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I can't even read that.

I think your problem is stupid people, not bad spellers. they are not the same

RiceMonster
July 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM

I can't even read that.

Agreed. For some reason I read text like that in my head in a really stupid voice too (it's not intentional, really). Plus, most of the alternate spellings do not even sound correct to me. For example, I read "ur" as "err" rather than "your" and "n" as "en" rather than "and". Seriously, it only saves a fraction of a second to type like that. I don't get it.

doas777
July 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I don't get it. it's idomatic. a common meme here on teh intarweb

hoagie
July 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
In English it doesn't bother me maybe because I'm not so good at spelling myself, but in my first language (Greek) it does.

steveneddy
July 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Bad spellers and uneducated people are one in the same.

If English is your first language, for goodness sake, LEARN HOW TO SPELL, even if you take advantage of a spell checker.

The world is sinking into a hole of uneducated imbeciles.

HappinessNow
July 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Misspellings never bother me at least not in the English language, English after all is an illiterate language (even Shakespeare spelled his name about 26 different ways).

JohnnySage50307
July 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I cannot vote on this thread. Of all the gifts God has given me, spelling has not been one of them. I should be thankful, though: my parents used to make me look up how to spell words in the dictionary--I'd see so many words that were not the one I needed and thus my vocabulary skills skyrocketed.

There are two things along these lines that irritate me. The first I'd like to mention is when anyone purposefully mispells a word or uses horid grammar. If you want to be treated with respect and let people know that you really are knowlegable about whatever you're talking about, try to be a little bit proper. No one's perfect, and different English teachers always stress different (and often contradicting) rules, but at least try.

The only other thing that irritates me is when someone is anal-retentive about proper spelling, diction, and grammar. If you can quickly understand what someone is trying to say, shoot a bit of advice at him and let it go. By "nit picking" at every infraction, the whole of communication breaks down; ultimately YOU look like the one without worth.

Everyone must remember, one of the leading causes to the fall of Rome was when the Romans sealed the Latin language. By not letting it grow or be more fluid, by not letting go of the strictness at the most dire times, vital lines of communication fell and the empire collapsed upon itself.

lisati
July 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM

If English is your first language, for goodness sake, LEARN HOW TO SPELL, even if you take advantage of a spell checker.

Dyslexia rulse, KO?

But seriously, sometimes I have a hard time following posts when the spelling, punctuation or grammar are off a little bit, even after making allowances for different idioms in different countries.

(BTW my imaginary donkey (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7392305&postcount=23) is still there.)

MikeTheC
July 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM

+1 absolutely.

I should be thankful, though: my parents used to make me look up how to spell words in the dictionary--I'd see so many words that were not the one I needed and thus my vocabulary skills skyrocketed.

There are two things along these lines that irritate me. The first I'd like to mention is when anyone purposefully mispells a word or uses horid grammar. If you want to be treated with respect and let people know that you really are knowlegable about whatever you're talking about, try to be a little bit proper. No one's perfect, and different English teachers always stress different (and often contradicting) rules, but at least try.

Also +1 dude.

vinutux
July 14th, 2009, 07:12 AM
There is diffrent types of english existed in us, uk even in my country "Indian english"

if you understand it ....itz worked...nothing else

Tipped OuT
July 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
All I have to say is, this is the Internet. Get used to it. You, and nobody else, is going to change anything. Either stay off the Internet, or ignore it and get on with your life.

monsterstack
July 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I might write a Howto on how to write English properly. Just a simple tutorial on how to use

your/you're;
there/their/they're;
its/it's;

properly would do wonders around here. I don't much mind poor spelling and grammar from people who know English as a second language. But bad English from a reasonably well-educated native speaker is really quite pathetic.

rsgangr
July 14th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Yes, faulty spelling and syntax can be extremely irritating and, occasionally, totally incomprehensible. Whilst it is often due to sheer laziness, one should make allowance for those whose mother-tongue is not English.

lisati
July 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I might write a Howto on how to write English properly. Just a simple tutorial on how to use

your/you're;
there/their/they're;
its/it's;

properly would do wonders around here. I don't much mind poor spelling and grammar from people who know English as a second language. But bad English from a reasonably well-educated native speaker is really quite pathetic.

There have been discussions on exactly this kind of problem on the forums. I'm not sure how much notice will be taken of it.....

I live in a multilingual area, and occasionally come across some odd things, e.g. "How are use?" for "How are (both/all of) you?" and "without further adieu..." for "without further ado...", both of which I've heard from educated people with degrees. I'm sure that if we search the forums hard enough we'll find some other "clangers."

collinp
July 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I generally just read right through bad spelling or LOLspeak. Although I sometimes end up getting someone else to interpret a message that is nearly entirely LOLspeak since my interpretation of that stuff is a failure anyway.

handy
July 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I didn't vote.

I'm interested in my own spelling - always trying to get it right.

Someone else's spelling has to be extremely poor, or if they are intentionally using some form of leet speak (which usually denotes youth) before it bothers me at all.