PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Budget ultraportable?

mrwiggum
July 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know of a good budget ultraportable (think MSI X-Slim, Acer Timeline, HP dv2z ie < 4lbs and < 900$) that works well out of the box?

shel-hall
July 7th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Does anyone know of a good budget ultraportable (think MSI X-Slim, Acer Timeline, HP dv2z ie < 4lbs and < 900$) that works well out of the box?
You can get a nice used Toshiba Portege R100 for about US$250. 12" screen, 30 GB HDD, 512 MB RAM, integral WiFi. Only .6" thick, 2.2 lbs. No floppy or CD drive, but it's very, very portable. They came with Win XP, and work fine that way.

Downside is that installing an OS, any OS, is a PITA. They won't boot from USB. They will boot from their special PCMCIA-based CD drives, but seem to have a problem booting Linux that way, as most Linux distributions seem to lose their connection to the PCMCIA CD drive halfway through the boot process. They boot XP fine that way, of course. You can also boot from a semi-special Toshiba USB floppy drive, so it may be possible to use that as a first step to installing from a USB key or USB-connected CD drive.

They PXE-boot like a dream, though.

Running Ubuntu on one ... I dunno yet. I've set up an Ubuntu/LTSP server so I can netboot mine. It runs 9.04 fine, if slowly (because of the network and the feeble server machine I'm using); I haven't had time to do a full check-out.

Still, it's a helluva machine for the money. The later versions (R500, R600) may be even better, but I've never seen one.

-Shel

JC Cheloven
July 7th, 2009, 01:25 AM
My 2p: Dell mini9. I'm simply in love with it. Its the SMALLER netbook in the market, but still workable.

250€, no buit-in cd, very silent... and everything works just fine in ubuntu.